Stamp theft in Vancouver

Old December 17th 04, 04:33 AM
Bob Ingraham

Default Stamp theft in Vancouver

This is to notify you of the theft of part of a stamp collection from
a member of the British Columbia Philatelic Society. The theft
apparently occurred sometime in the morning on Wednesday, December 15,
in the Vancouver suburb of Coquitlam. Among the items taken were a
collection of Swiss mint and used stamps on Minkus pages. The used
stamps were nearly complete, missing only three stamps up to 1989.
Mint stamps were less well represented, but were nevertheless of
considerable value. The collection contained a few covers.

Also taken was stockbook of mint and used Swiss stamps, a stockbook
full of mint modern Canadian plate blocks, and a Canadian mint
collection for the years 1987 through 1995 in a hingeless Darnell
album.

The owner has contacted all of the major stamp dealers in Vancouver.
He would appreciate your help in publicizing his loss.

Thank you

Bob Ingraham
Vice President
British Columbia Philatelic Society
Old January 6th 05, 02:56 AM
Phil Ately

"Ken Lewis" wrote in message
news:1104954280.863a163c10d4e1a8591c33ee9045cb10@t eranews...
Sure sounds similar to the thefts from dealers at the Edmonton Stamp
Show, which is close to Vancouver.....

Close? Isn't it something like 2-3 days drive? You must be a Prairie boy to
consider such a distance "close". :-)

Old January 6th 05, 07:40 PM
Ken Lewis

Driving from Vancouver to Edmonton takes 9-10 hours only;flying is
less than 2 hours!

With coming spring stamp show in Edfmonton - BEWARE!!
More thefts from those attending expected, again, as in each of past
years!

Has to be an inside job....

Old January 6th 05, 10:33 PM
Phil Ately

"Ken Lewis" wrote in message
news:1105040414.52c8ab0491416ccf2424b730f823cee4@t eranews...
Driving from Vancouver to Edmonton takes 9-10 hours only

No way. I've driven it. And a check on the map shows 1200 KM (give or take)
from city centre to city centre. At 10% over speed limit, no stops for
refueling or pee breaks, and taking all those curvy, mountainside hugging
roads without slowing down, that's almost 11 hours.

flying is less than 2 hours!

Chicago is less than 2 hrs flying time from Winnipeg. Is Chicago "close"? Of
course not.

Old January 7th 05, 10:00 AM
kevin

I have near the middle of these two cities.... it is a
minimum of 4-6 hours to Vancouver from me depending what
part you are coming from, and to Edmonton from here is a
minimum of 7- 8 hours.... so I would estimate a travel time
of 11-14 hours... winter ALLOT MORE... kk

I am in Vernon BC...
--
Kevin Kienlein
Vernon, BC, Canada...

"Phil Ately" [email protected] wrote in message
news1jDd.725364$nl.444789@pd7tw3no...

Old January 7th 05, 02:11 PM
Ken Lewis

You must be using an antique pre WWI map.
The distance is under 900 km, using the new faster roads such as the
Coquihalla Highway [toll road expressway!], after going via Jasper.

If you take other routes there is much more milage and time!
I regularly do the trip, and including breakfast stop in Jasper, lunch
in Blue River, arrive in downtown Vancouver in less than 10 hours.

Old January 7th 05, 02:13 PM
Ken Lewis

The village of Vernon may be halfway between the two cities, but it is
NOT on direct shortest route!!

That is why the Coquihalla Highway was built, as a toll road, to
reduce distance and time, and also avoid having to go near Vernon!!

Old January 7th 05, 02:27 PM
Phil Ately

"Ken Lewis" wrote in message
news:1105107073.64490c0f9b6f2f112114654e74822248@t eranews...
I regularly do the trip, and including breakfast stop in Jasper, lunch
in Blue River, arrive in downtown Vancouver in less than 10 hours.

yawn Your driving stories are as lame as your other threads.

Time to stop feeding the troll. :-)