A question about postal stamps

Old June 4th 05, 03:36 PM
AllEmailDeletedImmediately

"Ben Carpenter" wrote in message

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

depends upon where i am when i happen to buy stamps, but usually at the p.o.
i usually get a love stamp since most of my outgoing mail is bills and i
want to lull my utility companies into thinking i love them ;-)

Old June 4th 05, 07:14 PM
Adam H. Kerman

At 9:03pm -0700, 06/03/05, Ryan wrote:

No offense, but I find the different designs of stamps to be a PROBLEM
with the Postal Service. The costs of creating and printing so many
version of stamps are enormous to an organization whos expenses are
already out of control.

Can you imagine how much they could cut from costs and the price of
first class postage if they printed ONE type of flag stamp and no other
designs??

You are CLAIMING to have reviewed post office records?

Given the quantity of engraving purchased, I'm guessing that the post
office gets a volume discount from Treasury. After all, Treasury has only
one other customer: The Federal Reserve System.

For your next suggestion, Gee, wouldn't retail transactions and banking be
CHEAPER if all users of currency agreed to use only denomination?

Have you heard of philately? Were you aware that tens of millions of
stamps, face value, are purchased annually not intended to be used for
First-Class Mail? Gosh, there's no way to make money on that.

Excellent troll, Google dude.
Old June 5th 05, 02:49 AM
Joe St. Lucas

I was wondering .... do most people choose a variety of stamps ...
or do most people just buy the American Flag, sold at most
supermarkets?

And I was wondering, why is it that an American flag, flown on the fourth of
July, a crayon colored flag drawn by my child in grade school, or basically
any first order approximation of an American flag, must be disposed of in
particular approved ways, but (I'm guessing here, not watching everyone) the
flag stamp that everyone agrees is the American flag, gets thrown in the
trash, dropped on the floor, torn apart, etc., and the flag police don't throw
everyone in jail or fine them?
Old June 5th 05, 03:54 AM
Gordon Burditt

And I was wondering, why is it that an American flag, flown on the fourth of
July, a crayon colored flag drawn by my child in grade school, or basically
any first order approximation of an American flag, must be disposed of in
particular approved ways,

Who says that? There is such a thing as flag ETIQUETTE, but that
isn't a law. Some states may have laws against PUBLIC flag-burning.
What law do you think will punish you if you take the flag drawn by
your child in grade school, put it in a trash bag with a bunch of other
trash, and put it out on the curb?

but (I'm guessing here, not watching everyone) the
flag stamp that everyone agrees is the American flag, gets thrown in the
trash, dropped on the floor, torn apart, etc., and the flag police don't throw
everyone in jail or fine them?

It is likely that attempting to dispose of flag stamps, or for that
matter any other paper trash, by public burning, throwing on highways,
burning it in your fireplace, or similar actions will get you in
trouble with the police for such reasons as polluting the air,
causing a fire hazard, attempted arson, littering, etc.

Gordon L. Burditt