$200 is back in the news

Old September 1st 04, 04:52 PM
Fred Shecter

Default $200 is back in the news

http://makeashorterlink.com/?L28F16039

Old September 1st 04, 06:21 PM
Tim McDaniel

In article ,
Fred Shecter wrote:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L28F16039

The link it points to is
http://www.kfwb.com/content.asp?STORY=/stories/F/FUNNY_MONEY

Synopsis:

Sep 1, 11:13 AM EDT

Clerk Fooled by Bill With Bush's Picture

GREENSBURG, Pa. (AP) -- State police aren't laughing about the
person who allegedly passed some funny money - a $200 bill with
President Bush's picture on it - at a women's clothing store.

Police on Wednesday charged Deborah Trautwine, 51, with theft by
deception, for allegedly passing a bogus $200 bill at the Fashion
Bug store in Hempfield Plaza on Aug. 22. There is no such
denomination, even without Bush's picture on it.

--
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To:
Old September 2nd 04, 01:31 AM
Bruce Remick

"Tim McDaniel" wrote in message
In article ,
Fred Shecter wrote:
http://makeashorterlink.com/?L28F16039

The link it points to is
http://www.kfwb.com/content.asp?STORY=/stories/F/FUNNY_MONEY

Synopsis:

Sep 1, 11:13 AM EDT

Clerk Fooled by Bill With Bush's Picture

GREENSBURG, Pa. (AP) -- State police aren't laughing about the
person who allegedly passed some funny money - a $200 bill with
President Bush's picture on it - at a women's clothing store.

Police on Wednesday charged Deborah Trautwine, 51, with theft by
deception, for allegedly passing a bogus $200 bill at the Fashion
Bug store in Hempfield Plaza on Aug. 22. There is no such
denomination, even without Bush's picture on it.

It's not that unusual that recent immigrants with little English or
familiarity with all US coins & currency could find themselves staffing a
clerk position. Even some US-educated clerks I have seen would probably
make change for a $200 without question. I do feel sorry for them, but feel
even greater contempt for a person who tries to take advantage of them.

Bruce

Old September 2nd 04, 04:30 PM
Grandpa

Bruce Remick wrote:
snip

It's not that unusual that recent immigrants with little English or
familiarity with all US coins & currency could find themselves staffing a
clerk position.

Thats a fact. I went to der Weinerschnitzel last night for 25¢ hot dog
night and the clerk was of foreign descent. I could barely understand
her over the loudspeaker. When I got to the window she had a gap in her
front teeth a hot dog could have filled, although I doubt she eats pork,
or whatever other parts are rolled into the meat stick. But at least
she knew what $2 bills were and got my change right.
Old September 3rd 04, 05:51 PM
Mame

I remember once having to spend a $10 commemorative. This particular note
looks nothing like a normal $10 note and it was removed from circulation
over a decade ago. I had an old ratty looking note that was only worth face
value and I was short of money so I took it up to the shop to spend
it...there was a teenage girl behind the counter who wouldn't have been old
enough to remember these notes. When I offered it to her she didn't even bat
an eyelid. It said $10 on the note and that was good enough for her! The
same thing happened when I got hold of the note in the first place. I was
watching a lady purchase a doughnut and she presented the note to two young
teenage girls working in the shop and they gladly accepted it! I whent and
asked for the note as some have rare serial numbers and swapped it. I was
surprised they didn't want to keep it for themselves.

Mame