(Possibly) Stupid Question

Old August 17th 04, 04:41 AM
Leggette

Default (Possibly) Stupid Question

In my business, I frequently see $100 bills with small images stamped on
them.

They seem to be stamped with a rubber stamp or similar device, and are
approximately 1/4 inch in diameter.

Examples: a single Chinese character in red, a purple unicorn head, a blue
crescent moon and star, and a capital BS inside a circle.

These are just what I saw today. They are on about half of the notes I look
at, but only on the $100's.

What are these things?

Thanks

Old August 17th 04, 06:12 AM
Kevin Steinhauer

In the early 90's I saw something similar, but if I remember correctly
it was only (or mostly) on 50's. But in those days it was the old style
bills so I assumed it was something to do with counterfeit detection. I
never did get a satisfactory explanation though.

Regards,

Kevin.

Old August 17th 04, 11:38 AM
Scottishmoney

It is not a stupid question. I think they are stamped on there as a form of
counterfeit detection, much like back in the old days in China when they
stamped coins. I think it is annoying, particularly when you have to have
clean unstamped, untorn, nice condition notes for a transaction.

Dave

--
emails to (myuserid).at.lycos.com

Tir nam Beann, nan Gleann, s'nan Gaisgeach - Saor Alba A-Nis!

"Leggette" wrote in message
In my business, I frequently see $100 bills with small images stamped on
them.

They seem to be stamped with a rubber stamp or similar device, and are
approximately 1/4 inch in diameter.

Examples: a single Chinese character in red, a purple unicorn head, a

blue
crescent moon and star, and a capital BS inside a circle.

These are just what I saw today. They are on about half of the notes I

look
at, but only on the $100's.

What are these things?

Thanks

---

Old August 18th 04, 02:16 AM
Padraic Brown

On Tue, 17 Aug 2004 06:38:17 -0400, "Scottishmoney"
wrote:

It is not a stupid question. I think they are stamped on there as a form of
counterfeit detection, much like back in the old days in China when they
stamped coins. I think it is annoying, particularly when you have to have
clean unstamped, untorn, nice condition notes for a transaction.

Undoubtedly to pay a small group of well dressed gents who have
offered you a deal you couldn't refuse?

Padraic.

la cieurgeourea provoer mal trasfu
ast meiyoer ke 'l andrext ben trasfu.
Old September 2nd 04, 08:46 PM
Sheldon England

What are these things?

In our business we have a foreign exchange that deals in large cash
transactions and the USA $100 is a commonly traded commodity.

We have learned the hard way that banks do not necessarily practice
the same due dilligence we do. We check EVERY note with high-tech
devices but they do not and we have been passed bogus notes by them.
They also claim to have receive bogus notes from us.

Our solution? When we go to a bank to collect USA cash we actually
bring our machines to test on-site and do not trust the bank.
Likewise, any notes that we have tested and authenticated for sending
to a bank are then stamped (we use an "OK" in a circle) so if they try
to pass back an unstamped note as ours, we can be certain and prove
that it is not.

We never do this to collectible notes, I assure you. Only well-worn
circulation script. If you see the blue OK in a circle you will know
we have tested and confirmed the note's validity. Maybe other
companies use a similar method?

FWIW.

- Sheldon