14 Days(!!) for a check to CLEAR????????????

Old February 12th 04, 08:27 PM
Gene

Default 14 Days(!!) for a check to CLEAR????????????

I am noticing a LOT of sellers on eBay wanting you/me to wait FOURTEEN
DAYS for a check to clear. This is a total wad of BULL****.. I have
checked, and the average time for MY check to clear MY bank is approx.
3 to 5 days after it was deposited inYOUR bank. I mean, are these
damned sellers just ignorant, or are they trying to make a couple
pennies interest on my money? What a crock.. BTW, in over 23 years now
of selling banknotes by mail order and on eBay, I have had a total of
1 bad check. The guy blamed it on his wife (hahaha...), and expressed
me the cash immediately. As far as the check clearing.. 7 days is
plenty, and 10 days is a helluva lot, but FOURTEEN DAYS???? WHAT is
going on? Perhaps these sellers go to the bank once a week, and are
"building in" a buffer for their LAZY ASSES. Just my opinion. Yours??
Old February 12th 04, 11:10 PM
JSTONE9352

I suspect they are just lazy in sending
things out and by saying 14 days they
can let things slide until 2 weeks have
passed and then mail a lot of stuff to
different people at the same time.
Old February 12th 04, 11:47 PM
Gene

Yep.. Very UnProfessional. But, then, not everyone does it like you
and I do John!

Old February 13th 04, 03:20 AM
Scottishmoney

"Gene" wrote in message
s.com...
Yep.. Very UnProfessional. But, then, not everyone does it like you
and I do John!

If you are worried about funds clearing you can check this with your bank, I
can even do it online. Frankly it is someone being a lazy arse and getting
a bit of a float at the expense of the customer. It is amazing how many
sellers on fleaBay are doing this now. Typically I have only been concerned
on clearing cheques whence I am selling gold or something very valuable ie
several hundred dollars.

Dave

---

Old February 13th 04, 03:28 AM
David Wang

Scottishmoney wrote:

"Gene" wrote in message
s.com...
Yep.. Very UnProfessional. But, then, not everyone does it like you
and I do John!

If you are worried about funds clearing you can check this with your bank, I
can even do it online. Frankly it is someone being a lazy arse and getting
a bit of a float at the expense of the customer. It is amazing how many
sellers on fleaBay are doing this now. Typically I have only been concerned
on clearing cheques whence I am selling gold or something very valuable ie
several hundred dollars.

I deposited a $641 check two days ago. My bank placed an
explicit hold on the money for 1 week. My receipt explictly
says "funds available 2/18/2004".

I think there was some law that says banks must clear checks
overnight for a bank that's in town. I can't quite remember
the exact wording now, but with interstate/ebay commerce thing,
just about every check I see is an out of state check, and
they're pretty much all held for a while.

I don't hold shipments though. As long as it's someone
from ebay with a good feedback, I generally ship as
soon as I can.

--
davewang202(at)yahoo(dot)com
Old February 13th 04, 11:13 AM
Morat

Gene wrote in message ws.com...
I am noticing a LOT of sellers on eBay wanting you/me to wait FOURTEEN
DAYS for a check to clear. This is a total wad of BULL****.. I have
checked, and the average time for MY check to clear MY bank is approx.
3 to 5 days after it was deposited inYOUR bank. I mean, are these
damned sellers just ignorant, or are they trying to make a couple
pennies interest on my money? What a crock.. BTW, in over 23 years now
of selling banknotes by mail order and on eBay, I have had a total of
1 bad check. The guy blamed it on his wife (hahaha...), and expressed
me the cash immediately. As far as the check clearing.. 7 days is
plenty, and 10 days is a helluva lot, but FOURTEEN DAYS???? WHAT is
going on? Perhaps these sellers go to the bank once a week, and are
"building in" a buffer for their LAZY ASSES. Just my opinion. Yours??

I'm in the UK so our system may be different from yours, but I used to
work for a High Street bank so I can tell you a bit about how it works
here. My bank takes 5 working days to clear a cheque, but that only
means the funds are available then. The cheque can actually be
returned unpaid up to ten days from deposit, even though your bank may
have cleared the money. It's very, very rare though. I only ever saw
it happen once or twice in 3 years. If I were clearing a very large
cheque in the UK I'd insist on ten days clearance or more just in
case, there are all sorts of ways to delay your cheque clearing
through the system.
Old February 14th 04, 01:01 AM
Chris Scheers

Gene wrote:

I am noticing a LOT of sellers on eBay wanting you/me to wait FOURTEEN
DAYS for a check to clear. This is a total wad of BULL****.. I have
checked, and the average time for MY check to clear MY bank is approx.
3 to 5 days after it was deposited inYOUR bank. I mean, are these
damned sellers just ignorant, or are they trying to make a couple
pennies interest on my money? What a crock.. BTW, in over 23 years now
of selling banknotes by mail order and on eBay, I have had a total of
1 bad check. The guy blamed it on his wife (hahaha...), and expressed
me the cash immediately. As far as the check clearing.. 7 days is
plenty, and 10 days is a helluva lot, but FOURTEEN DAYS???? WHAT is
going on? Perhaps these sellers go to the bank once a week, and are
"building in" a buffer for their LAZY ASSES. Just my opinion. Yours??

FWIW: My bank once put a 14 day hold on a check drawn on a bank just a
couple of miles away. (Even though this was a recurring check and I had
previously been told that they did not need to put holds on these
checks.)

Weird things happen.

BTW: I quickly changed banks.

Chris Scheers, Applied Synergy, Inc.

Voice: 817-237-3360 Internet:
Fax: 817-237-3074
Old February 15th 04, 05:25 AM
Andrew Roberts

I prefer to pay with paypal where ever possible, payment is instant, and I
usually have my notes within 3-5 days from the close of the auction, (
paypal doesn't cost the buyer anything ) a little longer for overseas mail,
very convenient in my humble opinion.

Andrew
s.com...