Ebay : Ending Early notice

Old August 9th 03, 07:31 PM
Darren

Default Ebay : Ending Early notice

I recently had a couple of auctions I was bidding on cancelled and I
received an email (pasted below) related to both. Can anyone see why
this would have been cancelled?

The only thing I could think of that maybe it was a suspect seller or
stolen... I don't think it came under the heading 'human remains'

Just curious
Thanks
Darren

---------------------------
Please be aware that auction:

3039204954 - HENRY VIII 1509-1547 Silver Groat

in which you were a bidding participant, has been ended early by eBay
as it appears to offer an item or contains material which is
prohibited for sale on eBay. Because the auction was ended early, you
as a bidder are not required to complete the transaction.

If you would like to review our listing guidelines for a better
understanding of our auction policies, they can be found at:

http://pages.ebay.co.uk/help/community/png-list.html

Regards,
Customer Support (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.
eBay Trust and Safety
eBay International AG
-------------------------------
Old August 9th 03, 08:05 PM
Ian

A counterfeit being touted as the real thing perhaps? No way of telling
because the data concerning the auction is gone.

Ian

Old August 10th 03, 04:10 AM
John Carney

"Ian" wrote in message
A counterfeit being touted as the real thing perhaps? No way of telling
because the data concerning the auction is gone.

Ian

Nah, knowing Ebay, they probably thought it was an auction for a goat. I don't think
you're allowed to auction animals on Ebay.

--
John

Visit the RCCers favorite coins web page
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/jcarne...ns/rccers.html

Old August 10th 03, 07:45 AM
BobbyShaw

I recently had a couple of auctions I was bidding on cancelled and I
received an email (pasted below) related to both. Can anyone see why
this would have been cancelled?

The only thing I could think of that maybe it was a suspect seller or
stolen... I don't think it came under the heading 'human remains'

Just curious
Thanks
Darren

I've had only one auction of mine cancelled by Ebay. It was for a book, and I
had typed out the book description from the back page of the book. That text
had the word "badass" in it. Auction had been up for 4 days and was over
$10.00 when Ebay cancelled it for "vulgar language".

I wrote back asking why there were still over 100 active auctions going and
several hundred completed auctions with that word, and why mine was apparently
singled out.... got no response of course.

There was only one other seller with that book going on Ebay at the time. Mine
had already surpassed his (with my $0.01 start price, better description,
better picture, and better shipping prices and terms). I always suspected he
reported my auction to get rid of his competition.

I listed it again, updating the text to read "bad***", and the auction closed 7
days later for a total of $17.60 (STILL outperforming that other seller!)

So, no real harm done, except for some annoyance, a slight delay in selling my
book (had a group of like books ending on the same day, and threw this one out
of synch with the rest of them) and more proof that Ebay is inconsistent in
enforcing its rules. Actually just went and did an Ebay search for the word
"badass" -- 20 active auctions right now, and 56 completed auctions.... I
guess Ebay didn't "see" those auctions...

Robert Shaw
--
Does olive oil really help with corroded coins? Check out my experiment at:
http://www.mindspring.com/~robe294/o...xperiment.html
Old August 12th 03, 01:12 PM
Bruce Remick

BobbyShaw wrote:

[...]

I had some old postcards I wanted to sell, one of which featured a rock
formation with a name which contained the "N-word". I held that one
back, assuming that eBay wouldn't allow it to appear. Later I did a
search out of curiousity and found lots of auctions running with that
word in the title. I ended up putting the card up and it sold. Hard to
predict the priorities with the eBay censors.

Bruce