Collection software

Old September 3rd 10, 02:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey

Default Collection software

On 9/3/2010 09:05, rod allan wrote:
"Don Levey"
For each one, no. But that's a LOT of data entry to do for the
thousands of stamps you *don't* have, especially when compiling images.

You havn't thought it through though, once again you presume.

Tonight I did EVERY stamp in the US catalogue for 2006

It took me 12 minutes.

Where are you getting the images? How long would this take to set up
for *every* stamp in just the US catalog?

Look, if you want to use that solution, I have no problem with that. Go
with it if it meets your needs. I *have* used such a solution in the
past, and it *hasn't* met my needs. I'm sure that our needs are likely
to be different (as are everyone's), as well as our technological
comfort levels and those for various forms of inconvenience.
-Don
Old September 3rd 10, 02:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
rod allan

Great. May I bid you a fine journey Don,
enjoy your database, in the end having fun is the aim.
Enjoy your stamp collecting.

Old September 3rd 10, 02:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey

On 9/3/2010 09:14, rod allan wrote:
Great. May I bid you a fine journey Don,
enjoy your database, in the end having fun is the aim.
Enjoy your stamp collecting.

Rod, thank you - I appreciate your time, and help.
-Don
Old September 3rd 10, 04:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"rod allan" wrote in message

This is the database, 2 clicks for every 4c stamp australia produced

http://cjoint.com/data/jdo2vtyYAE.htm

one further click...pictures
http://cjoint.com/data/jdo5jkIhGg.htm

and you want to crank up an access database to handle 4000 stamps?
I would reconsider.

Remember the same one click for the pictures, will also retrieve every 4c
stamp in
the 500,000 stamp database.

Access would have a hard time doing that.

It's your choice

Rodney,

It isn't Don who uses Access but me. What hindered me to include images in
my databases was not the tool but the time to scan and to process the
images.

I wonder if you tried to do a DB in Access and you didn't succeed? If not,
how can you know that "Access would have a hard time doing that"? IMHO, you
haven't tried and therefore it is just an assumption of yours.

Anyway, even if 500,000 stamps images is too much for Access, it isn't the
only DB package on the market. The advantages of using a structured,
database approach are important, this being the reason why these tools were
created. Of course your approach, even it has disadvantages, is perfectly OK
as long as it satisfies your needs. It wouldn't satisfy mines (or Don's, if
I understand well).

Victor

Old September 9th 10, 03:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Wolf

On Sep 3, 8:11*am, Don Levey wrote:
On 9/3/2010 09:05, rod allan wrote:

"Don Levey"
For each one, no. *But that's a LOT of data entry to do for the
thousands of stamps you *don't* have, especially when compiling images..

You havn't thought it through though, *once again you presume.

Tonight I did EVERY stamp in the US catalogue for 2006

It took me 12 minutes.

Where are you getting the images? *How long would this take to set up
for *every* stamp in just the US catalog?

Look, if you want to use that solution, I have no problem with that. Go
with it if it meets your needs. *I *have* used such a solution in the
past, and it *hasn't* met my needs. *I'm sure that our needs are likely
to be different (as are everyone's), as well as our technological
comfort levels and those for various forms of inconvenience.
*-Don

Lots of techno stuff from some verious serious people. I'm just a
little guy and here is my simple solution...I use MS Excel, maybe not
the perfect solution for the Unix/Linux user, as from a cold start I'm
probably 5 min from seeing any of my data...so take a pee, pour a cold
one, whatever. Every stamp I have is listed by country/Sc#/album/
page. No images, some notes, unused/used, Sc# and an indicator for my
one and only search..."Want list". I long ago decided to limit my
collection to specific stamps (which I'm sure some of the previous
posters have done as well) which is dictated by blank album slots/
spots. If there is a hole, I want to fill it. Every country takes
up one Excel tab, althought I do have dual countruy collections in
different albums. I just specify the album by a unique number. So to
make a long story short, One country, one excell tab containing all
the possible stamps I would want from that country. Did I mention, I
only collect pre 1941 (narrows it down a bit). So when I get a new
stamp, I just fill in some of the colums descriptors I want and it is
done (the spot for the stamp already exists). If I go to a stamp show
or search the internet, I can generate a want list for any specific
country. It is just a matter of a few simple logical operator
formulas that check specific cell/column for my needs and there you
go. I'm still working on getting all my stamps cataloged. I have
other things going on in my life.
Cheers! Wolf-==-
Old October 5th 10, 04:16 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Alyn

Morning all,

Linux has a few out of the box collection invetory solutions that you
might want to consider. GCStar, Tellico are just two off the top of
my head. Google search for Linux Collection Manager or if your
version of Linux has a Software Centre search in it.

Alyn
http://alynlunt.com/stamps
Old October 5th 10, 04:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Don Levey[_2_]

On 10/5/2010 11:16, Alyn wrote:
Morning all,

Linux has a few out of the box collection invetory solutions that you
might want to consider. GCStar, Tellico are just two off the top of
my head. Google search for Linux Collection Manager or if your
version of Linux has a Software Centre search in it.

Alyn
http://alynlunt.com/stamps

Alyn,
Thanks, I'll take a look. I've made some progress on my own software,
but I'm not finished yet so it'll be easier to take if there's something
better out there.

--
Don Levey, Framingam MA If knowledge is power,
(email address in header works) and power corrupts, then...

Coin Collection Software Don Coins 18 December 22nd 05 06:23 PM
collection software ECK Coins 17 February 6th 05 01:04 PM
collection software Jen Badham Cards:- non-sport 6 October 31st 04 10:11 PM
card collection software Robert Criss Baseball 0 February 5th 04 12:09 AM
Which Card Collection Software should I use? Hall Baseball 0 January 4th 04 10:09 PM