Common stamp scars.

Old June 19th 07, 02:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rod

Default Common stamp scars.

We all have our favourites

The Grand daddy of 'em all, I call "The Impatience"

http://cjoint.com/data/gtdArpqk7C.htm

caused by a number of reasons:

1. Assume always the stamp hinge will separate from
the stamp before the album page.
(the quality of the stamp hinge is in direct relationship with the
quality of the album lifted from)
Cheap Album= assume hinge with gum with strength of welded steel.

2. The stamp was mounted with gum remnants left on the stamp,
too much gooby from the tongue, has set not only the gum of the
hinge, but the stamp as well.
When the stamp is lifted, the adhered top of the stamp, is left
on the album page ( a nice slice of stamp perfs as shown in the
example)

Beware of the "Confuser"
This stamp hides a grin, it lies in the Album quite contentedly
awaiting "Mr. Impatience"
You see, it has a little trick up its sleeve, the stamp hinge was placed
on the side of the stamp, which allows the stamp to rotate sideways
not up and down.
Mr. Impatince grabs the tail of the stamp, lifts with usual brisk force
and Voila! we have the "agravated thin" on the side of the stamp.

We of the poorer lot, are well aquainted with these "Pizza Stamps"
(thin and crispy), You can see readily fine examples of impatience
in any second hand album, sundry pages have little pieces of perfed
white paper welded to the page.

Suggestions:

Use the very best and expensive hinges available.
Just a touch of moisture to the hinge is required,
some use a small damp artist brush [citation required]

When removing stamps, gently lift the tail to see rotation
and adherance, before [well I do] slice the hinge at the crease
with the long nosed tongs.