Help needed wiring RO Remove Volume Control

Old March 20th 11, 06:37 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
NJ Mike

Default Help needed wiring RO Remove Volume Control

Pictures of the plug and RVC are he

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Rockola%20RVC/

I traced out the wires from the original volume control plug and found
that plug#4 was connected to the ground braid(?) on the outside of the
volume cable and plug#3 was not connected.

I purchased some 5 wire cable and a new plug and wired it the same
except since there is no ground braid, I just wired one of the 5 wired
to plug#4.

On the back of the RVC there are terminal screws labeled 1 to 5 along
with a terminal screw for the cancel button (lower right corner of
photo)

For a test, I wired the RVC as follows:

PLUG # RVC terminal #
1 1
2 2
3 (not used)
4 3
5 4
6 5

When wired this way the RVC control know did control the volume, but
in reverse. Turning the knob to lower numbers made it louder and to
higher numbers, lower.

Of course, the cancel button did not work.

What is the right way to wire the RVC?

Thanks!
Mike
Old March 21st 11, 09:25 AM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Rob in NYC[_2_]

On Mar 20, 1:37*pm, NJ Mike wrote:
Pictures of the plug and RVC are he

http://s49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...Rockola%20RVC/

I traced out the wires from the original volume control plug and found
that plug#4 was connected to the ground braid(?) on the outside of the
volume cable and plug#3 was not connected.

I purchased some 5 wire cable and a new plug and wired it the same
except since there is no ground braid, I just wired one of the 5 wired
to plug#4.

On the back of the RVC there are terminal screws labeled 1 to 5 along
with a terminal screw for the cancel button (lower right corner of

Mike, if this is for your 1454 I should tell you that it is a much
later RVC and is wired differently. The pot itself is correct
impedance but you should either remove all the resistors and
capacitors in the RVC or, simply omit connecting the two wires from
the amp that go to the two taps on the pot.

"Taps" -are the two solder connections that are separate from the
three together at the other side.

If you have done either of these and have wrong way volume control,
reverse the two outer connections of the three that are together

From what I can make out of the blurry schematic it should be:

The wire from Pin 2 goes to the end connection at the --highest volume
end-- -the wire is the input from the preamp/cathode follower.

Pin 4 connects to the end of the control at lowest volume (it's the
ground).

Pin 1 is the arm (center connection) That is the contact that moves
with the knob.

Rob

Old March 21st 11, 03:27 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
NJ Mike

Rob, thanks again so much.

I didn't realize I had the wrong RVC. Hope I didn't ruin anything
connecting it for about 3 minutes.

I would prefer to have the correct model RVC for the 1454. I have
seen different model numbers, but I did find a reference to a model
1927 for mono amps.

If you know which model is correct, I would appreciated it.

Alternatively, I guess, I have an extra VC from a parts 1454...I guess
I could just replace the guts in my RVC box with this control and
should be OK..yes?

Thanks again,
Mike
Old March 21st 11, 09:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
NJ Mike

I solved the problem the low tech way since I had the wrong RVC.

I took the guts out of the case and installed the spare volume control
pot.

Works like a charm, but would still like to find the correct RVC for
the era.

Mike

Old March 21st 11, 10:04 PM posted to alt.collecting.juke-boxes
Oldtimejuker

On Mar 21, 5:24*pm, NJ Mike wrote:

.

Works like a charm, but would still like to find the correct RVC for
the era.

Mike

According to the 1454 manual the correct RVC is 1927-A. Ray

NSM Performer 2000 volume control wiring Uriah Juke Boxes 1 December 26th 09 02:14 AM
volume control HELP!!!!! elec5765 Juke Boxes 1 October 22nd 09 03:01 PM
Volume wiring help for Rowe JAL [email protected] Juke Boxes 0 August 13th 08 10:35 PM
FA: VOLUME CONTROL BOX MARK Juke Boxes 0 October 21st 03 07:16 PM
FA:VOLUME CONTROL BOX LIKE NEW MARK Juke Boxes 0 October 17th 03 11:07 PM