Khor Angar~Djibouti

Old May 5th 06, 08:23 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Khor Angar~Djibouti

FYI here is the image of Robert's cover.
http://cjoint.com/data/ffjpy07wGB.htm

I have a question for you all - I have a cover (exploded) which was
sent by air mail from Kokopo, New Guinea, in 1949, bearing a 2/-
undated birds stamp of 1932. This in itself is unusual as the stamps
used after WWII are generally unoverprinted Australian ones. The
envelope is addressed to New Jersey in the USA and has various
backstamps for Rabaul, Sydney, San Francisco and New Jersey. On arrival
the letter was re-addressed to Khor Angor on the coast of French
Somalia some way north of Djibouti. The 2/- rate was correct to New
Jersey and on arrival in Djibouti a 5 FR postage due stamp has been
affixed to deal with the additional postage. The envelope made its way
to Khor Angor (to an agent as there was no post office).
I believe the addressee was a missionary - can anyone help me as to
what happened at Khor Angor - it seems unbelievably remote.
Interestingly although the letter was sent in 1949 the Djibouti cds has
the year stamp of 1938! I have attempted to put a C JOINT image up but
am having difficulty with the size of the cover. Any ideas?

Old May 5th 06, 09:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rod,

Khor angar is a little village, 60km to the north of Obock. You can see
photos with the link below
http://www.ifad.org/photo/region/PN/DJ.htm#

The postmark was used between 1929 and 1949

Reagards,

S. Buchheit
Col.fra 586

Old May 6th 06, 04:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Yes, thanks, I had seen this link,
the post was mainly for Robert's query (derbyboi)
I think missionaries have remoteness as a prerequisite.
When I studied Thai at the AUA in Bangkok, I shared my lectures
(rather, Thai theatre) with some US missionaries, and spent some
time up their way near the source of the Ping river, Nthn Thailand
(Not my cup of tea though) I was amazed to see flint muskets
still being used to hunt game.
I would imagine Khor Angar to be delightful place to spend some time.
60Km just a three day walk to relative civilisation, seems to be a naval
posting for the French Fleet

Old May 6th 06, 04:07 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Off topic Robert,
but thought this may interest a PNG collector?
http://cjoint.com/data/fgfcqFFTww.htm

Old May 6th 06, 12:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Hi Rod

One of the rare genuine examples of D1. Numerous forgeries exist or the
ordinary overprint and the double overprint. It is interesting to see
that the example is the only known use at Kawieng. All others were used
at Goroka which is in the Eastern Highlands on the Mainland. Kawieng is
on the coast of New Ireland. There are several members of the Papuan
Phialtelic Society (from Holland and Germany) visiting Goroka at the
moment and Max Bulley, who is a great stalwart of Australian philately
visited New Guinea for the first time in February. He sent me a
photograph of Goroka post office together with a photograph of a
wheelie bin used as a post box at the Airport Hotel! I shall scan and
post it as an unusual post box!. .

Old May 6th 06, 02:09 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Robert, I look forward to that image!
in contrast to the first ever Post Box, which, if
memory serves, was an old boot nailed to a post
on some Island, mid Pacific.

The item I posted was a Robson Lowe auction item
way back in 1970, when the famous Evan Gill Collection
of Papua was broken up, however, I am unaware if this
lot was part of that.

Old May 6th 06, 03:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Thank you Rod. I will ask the Reverend Roger Lee as to the whereabouts
of the piece. One of the "perks" of being the Chairman of the Papuan
Philatelic Society is having a wealth of knowledge from all over the
world to draw on. We have an extremely active Australian membership. I
will send you the Wheelie Bin for posting as I still havent got the
hang of Cjoint. It is in the lobby of the Aiways Hotel, Jacksons
International Airport, Port Moresby PNG.