Djibouti Query

Old May 1st 06, 01:29 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Default Djibouti Query

Thanks Gentlemen,
so its off to the bath for the lower value.
Pierre, from my 1948 Atlas
Jibuti (Djibouti) Seaport and Capital
French Somaliland East Africa
Situated on the Gulf of Tajura
Coaling station...population 1948 approx 22,000

pookiethai at iprimus.com.au

Old May 1st 06, 05:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On Mon, 1 May 2006 08:29:48 +0800, "Rodney"
wrote:

Thanks Gentlemen,
so its off to the bath for the lower value.
Pierre, from my 1948 Atlas
Jibuti (Djibouti) Seaport and Capital
French Somaliland East Africa
Situated on the Gulf of Tajura
Coaling station...population 1948 approx 22,000

What about Obock? The first port the French used, if not mistaken.
They have a lot of the same type of stamps.

BTW, I may have a spare Somali with better gum on the back. I'd have
to look. the gum on those issues is almost dangerous. Reminds me of
hat the acidic gum on the Germany Hitler S/S must be like.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 1st 06, 01:14 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

I hadn't noticed that Tracy,
Obok is some distance away across the channel as shown
on my map, Jibuti may have just been for coaling at that time,
and not for freight / enterprise.

http://cjoint.com/data/fbogZTnWBe.htm
(The partition of Egypt and Nile Valley as at 1914)

To be frank, I have never seen an "Obok" stamp as yet.

Old May 1st 06, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

On Mon, 1 May 2006 20:14:03 +0800, "Rod"
wrote:

I hadn't noticed that Tracy,
Obok is some distance away across the channel as shown
on my map, Jibuti may have just been for coaling at that time,
and not for freight / enterprise.

http://cjoint.com/data/fbogZTnWBe.htm
(The partition of Egypt and Nile Valley as at 1914)

To be frank, I have never seen an "Obok" stamp as yet.

The stamps from Obock and Somali Coast - to me - are classic
representations of Africa at that point. The pictorials are great,
albeit a bit difficult to make out details in the pictures sometimes.
Some of them are quite expensive, which is a shame. I really like
these stamps a lot.

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================
Old May 1st 06, 08:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Rodney,

Obock became a french colony in 1862. Obock was a coaling station for
steamers.
population :
800 in 1885
2000 in 1888
In 1884, Léonce Lagarde was appointed as Gouverneur. Obock was not the rigth
place for the steamers because of the shallowness of the harbour. Léonce
Lagarde found an other place for the harbour. This unoccupied place was
named "Djibouti".
The construction of the new harbour began in 1888. In 1891, the gouvernement
moved to Djibouti.

You can see these beautiful stamps from Obock
http://www.behr.fr/internet_behr/ind...f2edcdc3dc65b5

from Djibouti
http://www.behr.fr/internet_behr/ind...f2edcdc3dc65b5

Regards,

S. Buchheit
Col.fra 586

Old May 2nd 06, 02:43 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Thankyou very much Mr.Buchheit,
places everything in context for us.

Just to draw on your knowledge, any idea where the coal
would have been mined?

Old May 2nd 06, 05:56 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

From an 'ole in de ground? 8*) (Monty Python)

Obock was originally significant as the site
of the first French colony in the region,
established by treaty with the local Afar
rulers - March 11, 1862.

The French interest was to have a coaling
station for steamships, particularly those
of the French navy, which would become
especially important upon the opening of
the Suez Canal in 1869.

Up to that time French ships had to buy coal
at the British port of Aden across the gulf.
This was a slight to French national pride
and an unwise dependency in case of war.
The British had coal mines on Perim Island.

I expect that the French coal was
shipped in. There is no known coal
mine in the country of Djibouti, but
deposits of coal known to exist in
Ethiopia. Lignite coal resources
from three different areas in Ethiopia
are estimated to be 61 Million tonnes.
Additional deposits have been
discovered in the western part of
that country.

Virtually all of Africa's coal reserves are
in the south. They are 90% in South Africa,
with reserves of 49,520 million tonnes in
1999. Most of the remaining reserves are
shared between South Africa's neighbours,
Botswana, Zimbabwe, Mozambique and
Swaziland None of the African coal
producers north of the equator (Algeria,
Egypt and Morocco) ever produced over
200 thousand tonnes and with the exception
of minor quantities in Tanzania, no coal
production was recorded in east Africa.

Blair

Old May 2nd 06, 07:15 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

Marvelous Blair,
(how do you do it
So much easier to remember when there
is a story behind the stamp.

Old May 2nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

I have a question for you all - I have a cover (exploded) which was
sent by air mail from Kokopo, New Guinea, in 1949, bearing a 2/-
undated birds stamp of 1932. This in itself is unusual as the stamps
used after WWII are generally unoverprinted Australian ones. The
envelope is addressed to New Jersey in the USA and has various
backstamps for Rabaul, Sydney, San Francisco and New Jersey. On arrival
the letter was re-addressed to Khor Angor on the coast of French
Somalia some way north of Djibouti. The 2/- rate was correct to New
Jersey and on arrival in Djibouti a 5 FR postage due stamp has been
affixed to deal with the additional postage. The envelope made its way
to Khor Angor (to an agent as there was no post office).
I believe the addressee was a missionary - can anyone help me as to
what happened at Khor Angor - it seems unbelievably remote.
Interestingly although the letter was sent in 1949 the Djibouti cds has
the year stamp of 1938! I have attempted to put a C JOINT image up but
am having difficulty with the size of the cover. Any ideas?

Old May 2nd 06, 11:22 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss

[...]

Western Australia Long Swans query [email protected] General Discussion 3 March 3rd 05 06:56 PM
Chile Query TC Blair General Discussion 5 January 31st 05 10:45 AM
Chile query Rodney General Discussion 2 January 29th 05 10:26 AM
Bulgarian Query TC Blair General Discussion 1 January 3rd 05 07:33 PM
English Men Of Letters query Jbrodie1750 Books 2 July 22nd 04 03:58 AM