"They'll be worth something someday"

Old May 17th 05, 05:17 AM
Scott Drummond

"Papito" wrote in message

Were they professionally graded and authenticated?

No, but I found out later that if I had the original packaging, they would
have been worth even more.

Old May 17th 05, 05:42 AM
Vector

On Mon, 16 May 2005 23:38:42 -0400, "Wasdin, Jake E."
said:

I have some of those, many still in use. (=)

The sad thing is, that was only a partial list. I've got a spare
bedroom crammed with obsolescent computer equipment I've started to
inventory. I haven't even started on the boxes upon boxes of
software, mostly Commodore.
Old May 17th 05, 09:27 AM
Bob Hairgrove

On Mon, 16 May 2005 21:51:53 -0400, "Bruce Remick"
wrote:

"stonej" wrote in message
roups.com...
Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Exactly! Anyone else save their "Pong" or Atari TV computer games, or did you
throw them away?

Bruce

I have one of the original IBM PCs which came with two floppy drives
(no HDD) sitting in my closet gathering dust. I bought it used back in
1989 or so -- couldn't find any programs (except shareware) to buy
which would run on it, though, since everyone had already started
using Windows or some other OS with a graphical user-interface (OS/2
was pretty popular back then).

It had a monochrome screen and a Hercules graphic card as well as a
RAM extension board which boosted the total RAM from 64K (not MBg)
to a whopping 256K! I bought a used 40MB (not GBg) hard drive at a
liquidation sale. Unfortunately, I didn't have any mounting rails to
put it in the 2nd floppy bay, but found that it would fit if I
fastened one side with screws and shored up the other with stiff
cardboard g

It served me well for about 5 years, which seems to be the natural
life of most PC hardware today regardless of OS or brand. It probably
still works, but I put it out to pasture when the HDD wore out and
bought a Windows machine.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old May 17th 05, 09:33 AM
Alan Williams

Phil DeMayo wrote:

On Mon, 16 May 2005 19:33:04 -0700, jeff wrote:

Considering that the mint will probably make a billion of these things,
and - because of roll-hoarding - many will remain uncirculated, it's
hard to imagine that bisons will be worth much any time soon.

Last year's figures (combined Philly and Denver):

733.44 million Peace Medal Type
711.60 million Keelboat

Which falls far below even *my* elevated standard for Nickel Hoarding!
(One piece or fewer per capita the present US population). First year
types don't typically elevate due to extensive hoarding anyway! See the
plethora of BU 1909 Lincolns, 1964 Kennedy's, etc, etc, etc. ;-)

A good question to ask...when does common sense overcome the common
perception? Of late I've noticed a lot of high grade 1999 Statehood
Quarters appearing in my change. So...five to six years might be a
baseline figure for how long Joe Public is willing to 'sit on his treasure'.

Alan
'the Morgan people understand'
Old May 17th 05, 09:40 AM
Alan Williams

Bruce Remick wrote:

"Anita" wrote in message
On 16 May 2005 08:55:05 -0700, "Slopoet17" wrote:
But keep on putting your $2's and Sacagaweas and Bisons out there,
Paul. We'll be glad to cash in on your ignorance. You clearly don't
know a thing about values of modern issues...

Talking of nickels. I went to the bank today and on a whim bought
rolls of cents, nickels, dimes, and quarters. I'm not normally a roll
searcher, but I felt like it today.

Wouldn't you know it? The teller gave me a fed roll of uncirculated D
bisons. Now I'm paralyzed. One part of me wants to put them in the
safe in case they're worth something one day. The other part wants to
tear them open to look for a speared bison. Couldn't the teller just
have given me a simple conflict-free roll of nickels?

I hope I don't discover the other denominations are uncirculated coins
that may be worth something one day.

Anita

Don't worry, Anita. It looks like 20-30% of the entire bison nickel mintage
will be saved in one form or another in BU condition by collectors, dealers, and
speculators. Not much doubt these will never be in demand because of scarcity.
The stuff to put aside for future appreciation is the stuff no one else saves.
That's why I was able to sell a local phone book from the 1950's for $45, and a
Sears catalog from the same period for $60. If you've got the space and the
time, putting away examples of common everyday items that most everyone else
throws away might bring nice returns from nostalgia freaks in years to come.
With me, it will be my grandson who would reap any benefits of the oddball stuff
I'm saving, if he doesn't throw it all away before his collector gene develops.

Bruce

I think that if 40 years ago someone seriously suggested that beer cans
and baseball cards would bring 'serious money' you'd have seen the white
jacket and buttefly net people in short order. ;-)

Alan
'diagram that sentence!'
Old May 17th 05, 12:08 PM
PPL4against

said:

I have some of those, many still in use. (=)

The sad thing is, that was only a partial list. I've got a spare
bedroom crammed with obsolescent computer equipment I've started to
inventory. I haven't even started on the boxes upon boxes of
software, mostly Commodore.

The very first Apple PC is worth over 10 grand.
Got one of those?

Old May 17th 05, 12:32 PM
Bruce Remick

"Alan Williams" wrote in message
Bruce Remick wrote:

"Anita" wrote in message
[...]

I've got a bunch of both, although I admit I didn't have the foresight 40 years
ago to predict the premium that some beer cans, cereal boxes, McDonald's
giveaways, cigarette packs, etc. would bring today. I was too busy putting away
BU rolls of the new 1959-D pennies, which I KNEW would make me the envy of my
fellow collectors forty years later.

Bruce
'eat your hearts out'

Old May 17th 05, 12:47 PM
Wasdin, Jake E.

My best friends has one of those he bought at a Garage Sale for like $50
a while back. I'll have to tell him. I had no idea.

said:

I have some of those, many still in use. (=)

The sad thing is, that was only a partial list. I've got a spare
bedroom crammed with obsolescent computer equipment I've started to
inventory. I haven't even started on the boxes upon boxes of
software, mostly Commodore.

The very first Apple PC is worth over 10 grand.
Got one of those?

--
*/Jake Wasdin/*

Old May 17th 05, 01:39 PM
Jonathan_ATC

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have no illusions of great future value but I like to collect AOL
discs in their various packaging. I don't know how many I have but it
is a lot of them. Just picked up one at Burger King for AOL 9.0
promoting
the new Star Wars movie. It will be interesting to see how many
different ones I can find over the years.

One person has around 1000 different ones and there is some collector
demand as they are being sold on Ebay.

That is hilarious! I collect the AOL disks and packaging TOO!!! I was
going to make a wall covered with the disks someday, but never have yet
gotten around to it. My favorites are the thin metal cases. They can also
be used to sort coins, keep them flat and store them while I am not looking
at them.
My wife tried to get me to toss them out last weekend. I told her I was not
ready to do that. I have a spindle I made from a board and dowel rod 12"
high that is full of the disks.
--
Jonathan

Old May 17th 05, 01:50 PM
Jonathan_ATC

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Don't laugh, something from the early days of AOL probably is already
selling on Ebay.

Actually, there are 59 AOL CD items listed on eBay and only two of them have
bids. $5.00 for one and $0.99 for the other. Funny, I had thought they'd
be worth something someday too. I guess this is not "someday" yet. ;o)

--
Jonathan