Chilton wing flow help

Old June 7th 04, 09:03 AM

Default Chilton wing flow help

I did buy a Wing Flow Chilton pen from a fair of used things in Italy
(20 Euro)
The pen has the following number on the back top of the barrel:
NN3
2004
Which is the meaning of the number??
Is it possible to id the pen exactly ??
The sac of the pen is gone.. Is it easy to substitute it and where can
i find the sac ??
Thank to all !!
Alex
Old June 14th 04, 11:50 PM
Rob Astyk

Hi, Alex,

You have a Chilton pen made, most likely, in Long Island City, New
York or, possibly, in Summit, New Jersey. There should be an imprint
on the knob at the barrel end that you grip to pull out the touchdown
filler. ]

The repair is usually fairly simple. The section is either a screw or
slip fit. Remove the section from the barrel, clean out the old sac,
remove the remnants of the old sac from the nipple at the inner end of
the section, shellac a new sac that you've fit to the barrel in place
and fill. If the tube that extends from the rear of the barrel is
sticky or balky, put a very thin coat of silicone grease on it. You
can get silicone grease at most hardware stores and sporting goods
supply stores that sell fishing gear. When filling the pen, pull the
filler tube all the way out, place you finger over the hole in the end
of the barrel, keeping your finger over that hole press the tube home
quickly. The air pressure that builds up inside the barrel will
collapse the sac and fill the pen.

Chilton started out in Boston, Massachusetts circa 1923 as a successor
to the Crocker Pen Co. Crocker had had a New York operation since
1910. About 1930 all Chilton operations were consolidated in a plant
in New York's Long Island City. The company remained there until about
1937-38 when it was purchased, moved to Summit, New Jersey and
ultimately consolidated into the Wearever Pen Co.

As for the numbering system, many people have taken a shot at it. It
is not as obvious or regular as the Waterman system and so remains a
partial mystery. Charles (Rick) Krantz recently made a very fine
effort at explaining Chilton numbers which I quote as follows:

Okay, I think this data is correct and complete. By one particular

individual providing the missing piece of data, and another almost
verification of another number, I am ready to say this data is now
complete. Please let me know if anyone thinks this is or is not
correct. Like I said previous, Each color and size has been verified
by at least 2 know pens, except the last two colors, which, so far,
one was identified as persian, and I had one and one half
confirmations of the other. Sorry to keep sending this out, but I
though it might be nice to give everyone a clean copy, one last
time!

PART-1 COLORS

1X - BLACK
2x - JADE
3X - TURQUOISE (LAPIS BLUE AND BRONZE)
4X - BLACK AND BRONZE
5X - BLACK AND PEARL (DIFFERENT THAN PEARL AND BLACK VEINS, SIMILAR

SHEAFFER PEARL AND BLACK)
6X - CREAM AND BRONZE
7X - PEARL AND BLACK VEINS (DIFFERENT THAN THE BLACK AND PEARL,

SIMILAR TO
DUOFOLD SENIORS)
8X - CLOWN (CREAM BACKGROUND WITH LIME GREEN, ORANGE,BLACK,YELLOW

MARBLE
CHUNKS)
9X - SEA GREEN PEARL/GREEN AND BLACK MARBLE/GREEN SWIRL
10X- CHARTREUSE AND RED VEIN (YELLOW GREEN AND BURGUNDY VEINS )
11X- BURGUNDY AND BLACK MARBLE
12X- "STARRY NIGHT" (MY OWN NAME FOR THE COLOR, HARD TO DESCRIBE)
13X- QUARTZ (SILVER PEARL WITH RED SPECKS)
14X- PERSIAN (THINK OF EGG DROP SOUP, BEST WAY TO DESCRIBE COLOR

(THANKS BOB!)
15X- BURGUNDY AND BLACK VEIN (LOX TOP/SUPER CAPACITY MODEL)
16X- BLACK WITH WHITE GOLD TRIM (LOX TOP/SUPER CAPACITY MODEL)

PART-2 SIZES
(NUMBERS HAVE SOME CORRELATION TO NIB SIZE AS WELL)

X1 - ????????????????
X2 - SINGLE THIN BAND, LOW LEVEL NON SPRING LOADED CLIP, DIFFERENT

THAT THE
DELUXE CLIP IN STYLE
X3 - 3 BAND (2 THIN, 1 CENTER THICKER) SENIOR SIZE, SPRING LOADED

CLIP
(SIMILAR OR SAME AS X7 ???)
X4 - SINGLE WIDE BAND, LOW LEVEL NON SPRING LOADED CLIP, SIMILAR TO

THE DELUXE
CLIP
X5 - ????????????????
X6 - 2 BAND SPRING LOADED CLIP, REGULAR SIZE PEN
X7 - 3 BAND (EITHER 3 OF SAME THICKNESS, OR 2 THIN ONE THICKER)

SPRING LOADED
CLIP, SENIOR SIZE
X8 - 3 BAND (2 REGULAR, 1 GREEK KEY IN CENTER) SPRING LOADED CLIP,

OVERSIZE

PART-3 MISCELLANEOUS

XXS - DENOTES A VEST POCKET OR SHORT MODEL
XXR - DENOTES A RING TOP MODEL

Now for the puzzling stuff. Here goes;

1) I am not sure if it stops at 16X. I have heard of a chilton in a

color similar to persian, that i have been trying to buy for a bit.
What color number that is, I do not know.

2) I am not sure of the existence of a X1 or X5 size either. With a

general inspection I would imagine that the nib size corresponds to
the size designation as well. I have no examples that refute this
observation.

I'm not at all sure what your number means, but I hope this helps
some. These are wonderful pens with an ink capacity that surpasses the
Parker Vacumatics and Sheaffer Vacuum Fillers size for size. The
simple pneumatic filler system almost never wears out or breaks down.

Take care,

Rob Astyk