1867 Shanghai One Tael

Old July 25th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MMC8652

Default 1867 Shanghai One Tael

A friend of mine recently acquired this coin as part of a collection.
If anyone can offer any information about it or its authenticity I
would appreciate it.

It can be seen at: http://members.cox.net/mmc8652/coins/1867_one_tael.html

Thanks

Old July 27th 07, 06:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MMC8652

Thanks, I appreciate the assistance.

On Jul 26, 8:05 am, "Ukraina Dvi" wrote:
Sorry, but it is a modern fake made for tourists in Hong Kong."MMC8652" wrote in message

oups.com...

A friend of mine recently acquired this coin as part of a collection.
If anyone can offer any information about it or its authenticity I
would appreciate it.

It can be seen at:
http://members.cox.net/mmc8652/coins/1867_one_tael.html

Thanks- Hide quoted text -

Old July 27th 07, 08:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

On Jul 25, 6:00 pm, MMC8652 wrote:
A friend of mine recently acquired this coin as part of a collection.
If anyone can offer any information about it or its authenticity I
would appreciate it.

It can be seen at: http://members.cox.net/mmc8652/coins/1867_one_tael.html

How heavy is the coin?
This is certainly no official coin.
But if it is silver, it could be privately minted silver coin. The
Qing government did not mint silver coin until years later. Mexican
silver coins and other foreign coins were widely used.

Thanks

Old July 28th 07, 06:00 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Honus[_2_]

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Jul 25, 6:00 pm, MMC8652 wrote:
A friend of mine recently acquired this coin as part of a collection.
If anyone can offer any information about it or its authenticity I
would appreciate it.

It can be seen at:

http://members.cox.net/mmc8652/coins/1867_one_tael.html

How heavy is the coin?
This is certainly no official coin.

Do you have a copy of the 19th century Krause catalog at hand?

But if it is silver, it could be privately minted silver coin. The
Qing government did not mint silver coin until years later. Mexican
silver coins and other foreign coins were widely used.

It's (presumably) a copy of a pattern coin. My K&M catalog says:

"The 1867 Tael and 2 Mace coins of "Shanghai Tael" were minted at the Hong
Kong mint as proposed trade coins for China. The Chinese expressed no
interest in any form of struck coinage and the scheme was dropped."

It documents the coin as KM# Pn2, silver, with no mintage number and no
weight listed. It also notes "Superior Goodman sale 5-95 choice brilliant
proof realized, $80,500." I'm surprised more people didn't comment on this
one; I think it's a great looking coin, and I'd love to have even a
counterfeit in my collection. There's an idea for a thread...is it legal to
collect foreign counterfeits? Hmmmm. ;

Old July 28th 07, 09:11 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MMC8652

On Jul 27, 12:15 pm, " wrote:
On Jul 25, 6:00 pm, MMC8652 wrote:

A friend of mine recently acquired this coin as part of a collection.
If anyone can offer any information about it or its authenticity I
would appreciate it.

It can be seen at: http://members.cox.net/mmc8652/coins/1867_one_tael.html

How heavy is the coin?
This is certainly no official coin.
But if it is silver, it could be privately minted silver coin. The
Qing government did not mint silver coin until years later. Mexican
silver coins and other foreign coins were widely used.

I dont believe it has been weighed. I have only seen the coin once,
but it had the feel of a silver dollar as well as a similar patina. I
will ask the owner if he has access to a scale.

Thanks

Old July 28th 07, 09:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
MMC8652

On Jul 27, 10:00 pm, "Honus" . wrote:
wrote in message

oups.com... On Jul 25, 6:00 pm, MMC8652 wrote:
[...]

It is a great looking coin. It has a lot of detail that is hard to see
without magnification. The owner says it is not listed in the new
version of the catalog, but he did find it in an older library copy. I
do not know much about coin collecting, but my friend is not a
computer user so I agreed to help him with some research. This forum
seemed like a good place to start.

Thanks

ID Shanghai note william Paper Money 3 December 12th 05 12:40 AM
China releases new commemorative coins with scenes of Shanghai stonej Coins 1 November 30th 05 10:06 AM
Pelikan Shanghai Michael Guterman Pens & Pencils 5 September 23rd 04 04:26 AM
Certified trade dollar - but from Shanghai. Scot Kamins Coins 14 May 24th 04 08:42 PM
Stamps in movies: Shanghai Knights Edward Stamm General Discussion 19 August 3rd 03 10:18 PM