Germany: AMG

Old August 18th 08, 07:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

Default Germany: AMG

I have these Germany AMG stamps. What I need are the present Michel
catalog values in Euros (or US$) assuming the ids are correct. What
I've written down to identify each stamp is what was written already
by someone else. I have an old Michel catalog and figured out what
some of it means but have quite a few questions about other things.
Where there is a back-stamp I've put that on a vertical slip of paper
next to the stamp. The back-stamps are by Dieter Hettler and it is
generally 2 letters, one upper case and one lower case followed by
HETTLER BPP, I believe. I didn't write it that way on all of the
slips of paper because it wasn't clear at first. Sometimes the lower
case letter is high next to the capital and sometimes low. I don't
know if that has any significance.
On one stamp there is a word below Hettler that starts NUSS... and
goes quite long but is too difficult to read. All unused are mint-no-
hinge except one indicated (LH).
Questions:
Row 1: what does the '2x' mean (if anything)?
Row 3: Unter UV Schwarz - under UV light something appears black?
Row 7: Third stamp (30) - I don't understand prc B falsch UV! (I think
it was written prc or prv - maybe something else)
Row 7: 4th stamp - I don't quite understand the Pf. VI or for that
matter any of the PFs followed by roman numerals.
Row 8: 1st stamp - What looks like PF I / VII - means what?
Row 8: 2nd stamp - I left the original id as I couldn't transcribe it.
Means what?
Row 9: First stamps, same problem, can't decipher it - large-
something? format.
Row 9: 3rd stamp has 2 roman numerals. Does that refer to vertical and
horizontal perfs?
Row 9: 4th stamp - don't understand the 3rd line but the 4th looks
like "not in catalog".
Row 9: 5th stamp - don't understand the notation, again - large-
something? format.

Many of the stamps had 2 values, one for the type of stamp and one for
the perforations (I think). Two of the original four notations I left
have that. Any ideas about it?

http://t6p.home.mindspring.com/amg.jpg

Thank for any help.

t6p vicinity-of mindspring period com

TL
Old August 18th 08, 11:14 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

TL schrieb:
[...]

These stamps exist in three printings: American, British and German.

You can find these stamps in a large colour, paper and perforation varities.
PF means "Plattenfehler" plate flaws in english.
for further information, the SG Part 7 Germany 8th Edition, should be of
assistance.

Peter
Old August 18th 08, 12:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 18 Aug, 12:14, Peter Baumann wrote:
TL schrieb:

[...]

Your wish is my command: http://cjoint.com/?isnzmOA2HU (7th, 2005,
edition anyway.) Early editions did not have the perf varieties.

Chris
Old August 18th 08, 04:21 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Aug 18, 4:14 am, Peter Baumann wrote:
TL schrieb:

[...]

Peter and Chris,
Thank you for your quick responses. Probably what I can do now
knowing what PF means, is look in my ancient Michel for information on
plate flaws that are categorized by roman numerals.
TL
Old August 18th 08, 04:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

On Aug 18, 12:27 am, TL wrote:
[...]

So I see that Row 9: 4th stamp is 'line over G' and it isn't in the
catalog. Probably something caused it other than a plate flaw. One
done.
Old August 18th 08, 06:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:55:34 -0700 (PDT), TL
wrote:

On Aug 18, 12:27 am, TL wrote:
[...]

Good 'un... Nicht in kat = not in catalog. I'd check for a facial
scrape also.

Some German is not too difficult, some of it horrendous. Another
fellow that used to appear here - Rudy Roy - was into these beasts. I
just sent him a small pile of them, without checking perfs of
course... :^(

I doubt any of mine will be boat cruises, but YMMV!
Old August 18th 08, 06:19 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
TL

wrote:

On Aug 18, 12:27 am, TL wrote:
[...]

I changed the jpg and reloaded it on the server as the notation for
'30a Az Unter UV Schwartz!' was in the wrong place. I put it off to
the side. Now I'm wondering how many others are actually mixed up. My
desktop german-english dictionary is failing me on every other word.
Any word starting with ver- seems to be a problem.
What I'll do is add new information on to the jpeg including
contemporary CVs and see if the puzzle gets finished.
That section in my 1993 Michel is 15 pages long and probably contains
most of the answers. I have yet to see 'UV' in the section or
translate the other cryptic notations.
Hoping little by little folks out there can enlighten me.
http://t6p.home.mindspring.com/amg.jpg
Old August 18th 08, 06:32 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

wrote:

On Aug 18, 12:27 am, TL wrote:
[...]

Tom -

Can't read well right now - just had the eyes dilated after an eye
exam. I did pull out my '92 Michel and there's tonnage of references
in there, such as plate flaws - as Peter mentioned. I can't get too
close to it to try to find anything helpful at the moment. My German
stinks, but I've been reading my Michel Austria somewhat.

Clues - 3 different watermarks, 3 different printings as mentioned.

Perf them all.

Check out possible plate flaw section. They read like your examples
do. Plenty of broken letters and all that.

The BPF (?) cert is on some of your stamps. Michel mentions "gelten
nur fur gepruffe (BPP) Stucke!" (no special characters, can't see! :^)
Basically, get them certified. Some have good price tags on them.
Old August 18th 08, 11:00 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Peter Baumann[_2_]

wrote:

On Aug 18, 12:27 am, TL wrote:
[...]

Translation should not be the problem. Just state, what you want to have
translated.
The problem with these stamps are fake cancels, so all high priced
examples should be expertised.

Peter
Old August 18th 08, 11:03 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Gerhard Reichert

TL schrieb:
On Aug 18, 11:01 am, wrote:
On Mon, 18 Aug 2008 08:55:34 -0700 (PDT), TL
wrote:

Hi all,

let me try to help You as a German native speaker :-)
Questions:
Row 1: what does the '2x' mean (if anything)?

2x means two times :-) there are four stamps; two of them are Michel #
30 ccolour d (redliliac) perforation B (Line 11 : 11 1/2) paper z (white
paper, slightly toned )

Row 3: Unter UV Schwarz - under UV light something appears black?

You are right; under ultraviolette light the colour of this stamp
appears black

Row 7: Third stamp (30) - I don't understand prc B falsch UV! (I think
it was written prc or prv - maybe something else)

I read it as : prcB falsch UV! Dbz 11:11 1/2 and vertical "Bc Hettler BPF"

I think, that means : "pr" is Pruefung c B falsch UV!

pr probably is an abbreviation for "Pruefung", menas : "examination

Dieter Hettler is a German expert of the German Philatelic society for
AM post; may be it means : examination wrong because of the colour under
ultraviolette light

Row 7: 4th stamp - I don't quite understand the Pf. VI or for that
matter any of the PFs followed by roman numerals.

PF is Plate flaw, in German "Plattenfehler", Plateflaw # VI is letter
"U" in "Deutschland", the "U" is short at the left side

Row 8: 1st stamp - What looks like PF I / VII - means what?

PF I is "AM POST" in fat letters, PF VII is left upper ornament damaged

Row 8: 2nd stamp - I left the original id as I couldn't transcribe it.
Means what?

"w.Pkt.oben" means "with dot on top"

Row 9: First stamps, same problem, can't decipher it - large-
something? format.

"6/20 Axa " means " 6 Pfennige / Michel # 20 in catalogue, A = line
perforation 11, xa colour dark yellow

"groesseres Format" means "larger format", then: plate flaw XVII = upper
bow of the right six elonged.

Row 9: 3rd stamp has 2 roman numerals. Does that refer to vertical and
horizontal perfs?

no, that means two kinds of plate flaws on the stamp, # XII line on
right side next to "NN" in "Pfennig" broken and XXI ( "UT" in
"Deutschland" thicker

Row 9: 4th stamp - don't understand the 3rd line but the 4th looks
like "not in catalog".

Plate flaw, not in the michel catalogue mentioned: scratch on the left
"G" in "Pfennig"

Row 9: 5th stamp - don't understand the notation, again - large-
something? format.

Yes, larger stamp format

Many of the stamps had 2 values, one for the type of stamp and one for
the perforations (I think). Two of the original four notations I left
have that. Any ideas about it?

As far as I can see, the first number is the Michel catalogue number,
the second one the denomination;

There are three printings: American, British and German. American
printing is number 1 to 9, the British one number 10 to 15, and the
German printing number 16 to 35.

kind regards

Gerhard