Help ID, please

Old September 4th 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Default Help ID, please

Modesty probably forbids,
but further reading on these DP camp stamps
may be had here
http://www.jaypex.com/DP/

"Jay T. Carrigan" wrote in message
Rodney's stamp is from a set of 6 issued Dec. 1, 1948 by the
Ukrainian National Council in Munich for use in Ukrainian DP
Camps in Germany.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

Old September 4th 08, 05:44 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Sep 4, 3:40*am, Asia-translation
wrote:
On Sep 4, 12:35 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

However, Ino currency unit is
mentioned (eg kopecks or karbovanets).

I think I see a 'Karb' underneath the two sets of figures of value

Tony

Tony :

It is on the first stamp, but we were talking about the second stamp,
posted by Rod. http://cjoint.com/data/jec4USo4ZX.htm

Blair

Old September 5th 08, 08:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Asia-translation

wrote:
On Sep 4, 12:35 pm, "Blair (TC)" wrote:

However, Ino currency unit is
mentioned (eg kopecks or karbovanets).

I think I see a 'Karb' underneath the two sets of figures of value

Tony

Tony :

It is on the first stamp, but we were talking about the second stamp,
posted by Rod. http://cjoint.com/data/jec4USo4ZX.htm

Blair

Not paying attention once again, I'm afraid. I stand chastised.
Old September 6th 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 4 Sep, 04:35, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:51*pm, "rodney" wrote:

"Sir F. A. Rien"

Ukraine SG. G-19 Famine Relief Fund

Bravo!
allegory of Ukraine, distributing bread.
Have been some additions since my 1990 SG
It was then G15

Here is my poor shot at translating Rod's stamp.

16-07-1948 *Ukrainian
National *(Rada) ????
20 Post 20

Kiev *(Trudovin) ???? *Congress

However, It lacks the CCCP of stamps
of the USSR and no currency unit is
mentioned (eg kopecks or karbovanets).

Blair

The big fat Russian dictionary in the library says "Rada" is the name
for the Popular Assembly (presumably parliament) in the Ukraine and
some other republics. Also, Trydovii = Labour, so "Kiev . Labour
Congress". A bit of Googling reveals that The Labour Congress is/was
the name of a political party, but I didn't get as far as working out
whether the stamp refers to this, to a specific meeting in 1948, or a
building (Party HQ?). There is obviously a bigger story here than I'm
likely to have time to uncover.

Chris
Old September 6th 08, 04:30 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Rodney

Looks like the "Central Rada"
here it is in 1918
http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Ukrainian_People's_Republic

Old September 6th 08, 05:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

RADA means "Council", so the inscription at top is
"Ukrainian National Council". The building is the
Kyiv Opera House.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...

On 4 Sep, 04:35, "Blair (TC)" wrote:
On Sep 3, 9:51=A0pm, "rodney" wrote:

"Sir F. A. Rien"

Ukraine SG. G-19 Famine Relief Fund

Bravo!
allegory of Ukraine, distributing bread.
Have been some additions since my 1990 SG
It was then G15

Here is my poor shot at translating Rod's stamp.

16-07-1948 =A0Ukrainian
National =A0(Rada) ????
20 Post 20

Kiev =A0(Trudovin) ???? =A0Congress

However, It lacks the CCCP of stamps
of the USSR and no currency unit is
mentioned (eg kopecks or karbovanets).

Blair

The big fat Russian dictionary in the library says "Rada" is the name
for the Popular Assembly (presumably parliament) in the Ukraine and
some other republics. Also, Trydovii =3D Labour, so "Kiev . Labour