Germany: AMG

Old August 20th 08, 03:27 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

Default Germany: AMG

I seriously doubt that APS can properly expertize ANY
German cancels. Perhaps if Harold Peter examines your
AMGs they might get some of them right, but APS will
not disclose in advance who will examine your material.

Mercer Bristow once told me that they will tell you
after the fact who examined your material. IMO that's
too late to do any good.

Furthermore, while an APS expertization may give you
some peace of mind, only a BPP expertization will have
any value when you try to sell it.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...

Early messages related to post-WW II AMG Germany issued deleted for brevity.

. . .
In the case of
the plate flaws the value of the stamp was added to the value of the
pf. to get a total. If these are authentic and correctly attributed
how do the values jive with present-day Michel?
Understandably they need to be expertized but I want to get an idea of
the potential value before I do that. Should they be sent to Germany
for expertization or are there good reliable services in the US?

Thanks to all,
TL

Tom--I have a 1995 Michel Spezial in DM and a 2003 (1849-April 1945) Spezial
with values in Euros. Thus the more recent Spezial does not have AMG issues
in it. I just took the MNH and used values for Michel 730-738, 751-759,
764-767, and 768-771 in each edition, added up all of the values in each
edition and then divided the Euro values by the DM values. The results
suggest that the MNH Euro values are about 60% of the DM values, and the
used values are about 45% of the DM ones. To the accuracy you need, I
suggest using 50% as a conversion factor.

For the five years that I've owned the 2003 edition, I've used approx. 0.6 X
Michel to get Scott values. so that would suggest using about 0.3 X Michel
DM to get Scott catalog equivalents.

I recently asked APS's head of expertizing if their German-area expertizers
can and will expertize against Michel. He assures me they can and will, so
that would save sending the AMG material abroad for expertization.

Stan