British Field Post Offices

Old July 7th 08, 05:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin[_2_]

Default British Field Post Offices

Hi

I am trying to locate lists of British Field Post Offices in WWI and
WWII. No luck Googling. Is there such a list on the net? A pricing or
rarity index would also be useful.

Is there only one set of numbers or do the Army, Navy and Air Forces
each have their own set?

If there is no easily accessible list, can someone give me the location
of RAF FPO 1168 circa 1944?

Thanks

Richard
Old July 7th 08, 02:01 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jul 7, 12:26 am, Richard Thouin wrote:
Hi

I am trying to locate lists of British Field Post Offices in WWI and
WWII. No luck Googling. Is there such a list on the net? A pricing or
rarity index would also be useful.

Is there only one set of numbers or do the Army, Navy and Air Forces
each have their own set?

If there is no easily accessible list, can someone give me the location
of RAF FPO 1168 circa 1944?

Thanks

Richard

If you are checking a number of forces po's for World War 2 , try :
A Priced Checklist of British Army and Field Post Offices 1939-1946,
by C R Entwistle. Published by Chavril Press, 1998. 36 pages

..
Old July 7th 08, 02:27 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Jay T. Carrigan

Proud's "History of British Army Postal Service", Vol. III
1927-1963, only goes up to FPO 1063.

Jay Carrigan change domain to mchsi
www.jaypex.com

In article ,
says...

Old July 8th 08, 04:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jul 7, 4:56*pm, Richard Thouin wrote:
In article JQock.242263$yE1.139824@attbi_s21,
(Jay T. Carrigan) wrote:

Proud's "History of British Army Postal Service", Vol. III
1927-1963, only goes up to FPO 1063.

* * *Jay Carrigan * * * * *change domain to mchsi
* * *www.jaypex.com

In article ,

says...

Hi

I am trying to locate lists of British Field Post Offices in WWI and
WWII. No luck Googling. *Is there such a list on the net? *A pricing or
rarity index would also be useful.

Is there only one set of numbers or do the Army, Navy and Air Forces
each have their own set?

If there is no easily accessible list, can someone give me the location
of RAF FPO 1168 circa 1944?

Thanks

Richard

Blair and Jay

Thanks for these informations. *Can I deduct: No list on the Web?

For my number I will need look at it again. *This is a very weak strike
and I need to manipulate the image quite a bit to read the number.

Regards

Richard

Richard:

The only online lists that I can find are of CURRENT British Forces
POs.

One of my favourites, number 1, closed in 1997 (Hong Kong).
That leaves number 2 (Washington, DC) as the 'senior' BFPO.

Blair

Old July 8th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

(Jay T. Carrigan) wrote:

[...]

All that there is on-line is the CURRENT list of BFPOs.

Land BFPOs
http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/bfponumbers_static.htm

Ships BFPOs
http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/bfponumbers_ships.htm

Blair
Old July 8th 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Nick Knight

In , on
07/08/2008
at 02:57 PM, "Blair (TC)" said:

All that there is on-line is the CURRENT list of BFPOs.

Land BFPOs
http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/bfponumbers_static.htm

Ships BFPOs
http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/bfponumbers_ships.htm

Interesting! I've collected CFPO covers for many years (Canadian FPOs).
Does anyone have any experience sending SSAE's to these types of place to
get sample postmarks? I had mixed luck recently (last year) with the latest
CPFO list. Many were returned, but some were nicely postmarked and sent
back via normal mail.

Nick

Old July 9th 08, 01:31 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

On Jul 8, 6:47 pm, "Nick Knight" wrote:
In , on
07/08/2008
at 02:57 PM, "Blair (TC)" said:

All that there is on-line is the CURRENT list of BFPOs.
Land BFPOs
http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/bfponumbers_static.htm
Ships BFPOs
http://www.bfpo.mod.uk/bfponumbers_ships.htm

Interesting! I've collected CFPO covers for many years (Canadian FPOs).
Does anyone have any experience sending SSAE's to these types of place to
get sample postmarks? I had mixed luck recently (last year) with the latest
CPFO list. Many were returned, but some were nicely postmarked and sent
back via normal mail.

Nick

Well the bottom line is that you are at the mercy of the local Postal
Officer.
My luck was pretty good over the years, but I kept my requests
moderate
and did all that I could to minimize the effort on their part.

One should remember that the first duty of the GFPOs is to provide
postal services to Canadian troops. Philatelic requests are below
that.

Old July 9th 08, 02:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin[_2_]

In article
,

(Jay T. Carrigan) wrote:

[...]

Hi Blair

I had found these but was hoping that your advanced search techniques
would bring out older lists, Can't win them all, I guess. Anyway,
thanks for trying, as you always do. We all rely on you.

Regards

Richard
Old July 30th 08, 07:04 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
malcolm

Note BFPO is British Forces Post Office not Field Post Office which is
something else entirely. BFPOs are static and permanent at barracks
etc while FPO s are used by troops "on active service" . You see no
Iraq or Afghanistan in the BFPO lists as they are not "garrison"
destinations.

Malcolm