Annoying intermittent sound problem - Rockola

Old November 19th 03, 12:24 PM
Paul Smith

Default Annoying intermittent sound problem - Rockola

I hope someone can help me with an extremely annoying problem I am
having with a Rockola 443. The problem is the sound keeps cutting out
but there seems to be no pattern at all to this. For example it might
work okay for a while when it is turned on then the sound will stop,
other times it will select okay when turned on but no sound then at
some point the sound will start.

I think the amp is okay, checked across the filter caps for voltage
and at any time I will get hum through if I touch the cartridge
inputs. The cartridge is okay also as is the mute relay.

The strange thing is that if a selection is playing with no sound I
can make the sound return by:

Twisting a lamp so that there is a crackle through the amp
Sometimes making another selection (after the number button is pressed
the sound starts)
Playing with the connectors (although a different connector each time
- not one specific connector)

When I do one of these things the sound might come back on for quite
some time then drop out or it might only come on for a short time.
Sometimes it will come on crackly and low volume other times it will
be clear and normal volume.

Could this be some sort of grounding problem or something? I hope I
have explained this okay, even though I am a novice I just can't
narrow down what it might be or where to start.

Really hoping someone might be able to point me in the right
direction.

Paul Smith
Australia
Old November 19th 03, 03:42 PM
baraka

(Paul Smith) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Paul,
Try checking your ground in the machine to ensure that it is o.k. I
don't have a Rockola as I only have a Rowe CD100 jukebox. However, I
could tell you to this. Check your connectors to see if any are burnt.
Secondly, re-seating connectors may cure your problem. Post your
results..

John
Old November 20th 03, 01:02 AM
Bob

(baraka) wrote in message . com...
[...]

Paul

I agree with John it sounds like you have a loose connection
somewhere. I also don't own a Rockola I have 5 Seeburgs. What needs to
be asked though is has any work been performed lately to the juke. New
capacitors, New cartridge etc.. If yes to the first you could have a
cold solder connection. If no the first thing I would do is as Paul
said remove and replace connections especially the output to the
speakers. Some components like a transistor will open and close a
circuit as a sign that they are going bad but this is normally
temperature driven and not affected by wiggling wires. If this doesn't
work I would unplug the cartridge input to the amp and plug in an
auxiliary device like a CD player, Turntable etc... This would
eliminate the cartridge and the wires from it. I don't think you will
have to go that far though. Mail back with findings.

Bob
Old November 20th 03, 06:25 AM
Rockola Scott

Paul, first place I would check would be the connection to the
cartridge and then the plug in for the tone arm wire. Sometimes the
metal becomes tarnished and does not make a good connection. Clean the
plug very well.

RockolaScott

Old November 20th 03, 06:41 AM
Tony Miklos

Well this certainly sounds like quite an odd problem. Telling me that
sometimes it comes back on with the crackle of the flouresent light or a
selection being made brought only one thing to mind, and this is
dependent that you are correct that it is the flickering of the bulb,
and not any vibration that sometimes makes it work. The speaker
overload circuit. I've had trouble with them only a handfull of times,
but it is a sesitive circuit and could possibly be affected by small
voltage spikes from the light lighting or the solenoid action of the
selector enough to make it work again. I hope you have and can read the
amplifier schematic, you will need it!

--
Tony