how to make soccer and ice hockey popular in the US

Old June 23rd 05, 07:03 PM
alejandro de tacobell

new soccer will break every 15 minutes.

Old June 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
Robert Morrisette

"Scooby" wrote in message
oups.com...
You left out one major reason: Football runs 45-minutes uninterrupted
each half. Try selling that to the networks who are used to ad breaks
every three minutes.

You must be kidding. Football has regular TV timeouts.

Sabu

Old June 23rd 05, 11:13 PM
Robert Morrisette

More important, why is baseball, the slowest team sport on the world. so
popular? In the average game the ball is in play only about 7 minutes.

Sabu

Old June 23rd 05, 11:43 PM
James Farrar

On Thu, 23 Jun 2005 22:13:31 GMT, "Robert Morrisette"
wrote:

"Scooby" wrote in message
roups.com...
You left out one major reason: Football runs 45-minutes uninterrupted
each half. Try selling that to the networks who are used to ad breaks
every three minutes.

You must be kidding. Football has regular TV timeouts.

More of the world agres with him than with you.

[FU set]

--
James Farrar

September's coming soon
Old June 24th 05, 01:15 AM
mark

Robert Morrisette ) has kindly taken time out
from organising some kind of mutiny of preverts to say...
"Scooby" wrote in message
oups.com...
You left out one major reason: Football runs 45-minutes uninterrupted
each half. Try selling that to the networks who are used to ad breaks
every three minutes.

You must be kidding. Football has regular TV timeouts.

Everyone's a comedian.

[f'ups set]

--
"I don't do anything, not one single thing. I used to
bite my nails, but I don't even do that any more."

Old June 24th 05, 11:17 AM
Des Small

"Robert Morrisette" writes:

More important, why is baseball, the slowest team sport on the
world. so popular?

Because so many people like it. Also, cricket.

Des
Old June 27th 05, 06:36 PM
Major ChrisB

"stonej" wrote in message
oups.com...
Lack of scoring is only part of the problem
for the lack of popularity of soccer and
hockey in the US.

Both sports have a helter skelter look and
feel to them with possession of the ball
or puck changing so quickly that it is hard
to make any sense over what is going
on.

As a Brit who's not a big sports fan but will watch the occational "soccer"
came I would like to comment on two of the US's favourite past times.
Baseball: i have seen one baseball game live in my life. The Atlanta Braves
vrs the Yankees at Yankee stadium. We got there at the top of the second
with a 0-0 score. Two and half hours later it was about 4-2 to the Braves
and only in the bottom of the 7th.....bored ****less we all left. the most
exciting thing about the game was when the guys came out at half time to
sweep the gravel on the diamond and did a little dance....oh yeah and our
discussion about how Major League made baseball look so much more exciting.

Football: or as we brits call it "American Football" (we call Soccer
football - coz you actually use your feet a lot) Now I've never mustered the
courage to go to a live game but from what I've seen on TV you get about 3
minutes of actuall play in about 4 hours....which is pretty ****.

Soccer (or Football as it's known to most ofthe world) has a much bigger
following, the World Cup is actually contested between people from all
around the world - unlike baseball's - the game had 90minutes of action and
90 minutes of action is what you get. It's a very fast paced but still very
strategic game where more skill of being able to run with the ball at your
feet, conrolling it and being able to hit a small target very quickly while
avoiding other players is needed and not the luck involved in being able to
just managed to dodge a tackle of hit that one ball harder than the last
guy. Soccer is hands down the better game, much more enjoyable and I'd say
it equates to watching the season finale of 24 vrs watching the season
finale of 7th heaven

If you watch football or basketball it is
easy to see the strategy as the ball is
advanced.

Soccer is much more about team strategy, about breaking through a line and
being fast while still controling the ball and able to hit a small target,
it's not so much about fooling the other team or having one strong player in
the team, with Soccer the adage of "your only as good as your weakest
player" is really true as you need the whole team to succeed. You can't
stop every couple of minutes to change strategy, it has to be done in
advance or on the spot as your playing, you need to be much more of a
cohesive unit. I really do recomend watching a couple of games - most
american sports fans would enjoy it a lot if they gave it a chance as it's
far more exciting than baseball or football.

a 0-0 draw doesn't happen too often and it's all part of the game. The way
the leagues are structured draws are important and when your not in a league
situation and into a playoff type game then draws turn into sudden death 30
minute time added on and then a sudden death penalty shoot out - and theres
nothing more exciting in an important competative match than that happening.

Now I know there is strategy with both
hockey and soccer but it just doesn't
translate well to an American audience for some reason.

Americans are are all slow and half-tards?

Old June 27th 05, 11:46 PM
Pete

In article ,
Major ChrisB wrote:
As a Brit who's not a big sports fan but will watch the occational "soccer"
came I would like to comment on two of the US's favourite past times.
Baseball: i have seen one baseball game live in my life. The Atlanta Braves
vrs the Yankees at Yankee stadium. We got there at the top of the second
with a 0-0 score. Two and half hours later it was about 4-2 to the Braves
and only in the bottom of the 7th.....bored ****less we all left. the most
exciting thing about the game was when the guys came out at half time to
sweep the gravel on the diamond and did a little dance....oh yeah and our
discussion about how Major League made baseball look so much more exciting.

As a (mostly) Canadian who grew up in England, I think if you're going to
diss baseball, you can't ignore cricket! (:-)) I was forced to *play*
the bloody game at school. Talk about being bored out of one's mind...
['Course it didn't help that I was pretty hopeless at it.] Fortunately
I soon escaped to the tennis set. (And Fives in the winter instead of
equally unpleasant Rugby. Fives? .. Like handball, except that the ball
is more like a teeny tiny baseball. Great game, though.]

Football: or as we brits call it "American Football" (we call Soccer
football - coz you actually use your feet a lot) Now I've never mustered the
courage to go to a live game but from what I've seen on TV you get about 3
minutes of actuall play in about 4 hours....which is pretty ****.

Agree totally on this one. Can't stand the game.

[...] Soccer is hands down the better game, much more enjoyable and I'd say
it equates to watching the season finale of 24 vrs watching the season
finale of 7th heaven

Agreed, but I like *playing* soccer even more!

a 0-0 draw doesn't happen too often and it's all part of the game.

The 'low-scoring' argument people make against soccer, I just don't get.
Beaseball scores can be just as low [except for last night's 16-0 blowout
by the A's over the Giants! (:-)]. And American Football scores are only
high because so many points arrive in a lump. Basketball is almost the
reverse because it's the *missed* baskets that are significant; otherwise
each team seems to score almost every time they have the ball.

Now I know there is strategy with both
hockey and soccer but it just doesn't
translate well to an American audience for some reason.

Americans are are all slow and half-tards?

Nah... it's almost entirely the 'Not_Invented-Here' thing. And the fact
that the nets can't insert all those commercials easily. (But most kids
play the game, so all hope is not lost.)

-- Pete --

The address in the header is a Spam Bucket -- don't bother replying to it...
(If you do need to email, replace the account name with my true name.)
Old June 28th 05, 12:20 AM
rst

Americans are generally not bright. They like to see scoring. It's
why they ruined baseball- by making the fields smaller, making the ball
differently so it travels farther.

Soccer is a beautiful game to most of the rest of the world. It's
where scoring is still a special moment that is savored by the fans as
well as the players.

Americans don't get this. They have short attention spans. They
actually want to see commercials as well- that way they can get up from
the couch and get another bag of Cheetos and a big gulp Mountain Dew
(which is an appetizer for dinner: two giant Dominos pizzas with
everything on it and cheese stuffed into the crust-- and more Mountain
Dew... and nachos).

No one in the world tries to retool its sports more than the U.S.
Because the owners are accountants and have no idea what sports are all
about. It's why the NFL is now unwatchable, baseball is horrible, the
NBA is barely a sport anymore, and hockey is a nightmare. All of these
sports were once great. But they were ruined by greed.

In the rest of the world soccer is left alone- because it is perfect.

Old June 28th 05, 12:55 AM
Pariah

On 27 Jun 2005 16:20:45 -0700, "rst" wrote:

In the rest of the world soccer is left alone- because it is perfect.

Perfectly lame. If any sport needs tweaking, it would be the sport
where there's a very good chance the final score will be 0-0.