how to make soccer and ice hockey popular in the US

Old June 23rd 05, 04:15 AM
alejandro de tacobell

Default how to make soccer and ice hockey popular in the US

maybe soccer is a great sport but it bores the hell out of me. i mean
alot of games end without a single goal.

to make it more popular in the US? make the goal twice as big. more
scoring will make it more popular and more exciting.
also, allow the use of fists for spiking like in volleyball.

-----

as for hockey, change the uniforms. make them wear armour-like suits
that'll make them look badass instead of like pajama wearing chess
pieces. dress them up like medieval knight-gladiators. the armor
doesn't have to be made of metal. plastic or fiber glass will do fine.
and, make them wear cool helmets instead of those devo-bowls. football
players look cool. hockey players look shapeless. and look at their
faggoty pants. pussy. change the image! it's hard to respect a sports
where everyone looks like a little boy wearing clothes too big for him.

as for the game, make the goal twice as wide and twice as high. then,
place the goal 20 ft away from the wall and get rid of the net. put
sensors inside the goal. whenever the puck(with a microchip) passes
thru the goal--from either direction--it will count as a score.
when a goal is scored, the game will just continue instead of breaking.
only when 3 goals are scored consecutively in less than one minute will
there be a break where the puck brought to the center of the field.
this will be a wild, exciting, thrilling game and everyone will love
it.

for the championship game, instead of the goals being placed at the
ends of the field, they'll be brought to the center. of course, there
will be a barrier between the two goals.
see below.

l is the goal.

championship game layout.

------------------------------

1
l 1 l
l 1 l
1

-------------------------------

Old June 23rd 05, 11:38 AM
stonej

Lack of scoring is only part of the problem
for the lack of popularity of soccer and
hockey in the US.

Both sports have a helter skelter look and
feel to them with possession of the ball
or puck changing so quickly that it is hard
to make any sense over what is going
on.

If you watch football or basketball it is
easy to see the strategy as the ball is
advanced.

Now I know there is strategy with both
hockey and soccer but it just doesn't
translate well to an American audience for some reason.

For a team sport I think it is just too fast
paced for people to get into plus the TV
networks that have covered these sports
in the past have done a poor job
explaining the basics to the viewers.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:39 PM
Scooby

You left out one major reason: Football runs 45-minutes uninterrupted
each half. Try selling that to the networks who are used to ad breaks
every three minutes.

Old June 23rd 05, 01:48 PM
stonej

Scooby wrote:
You left out one major reason: Football runs 45-minutes uninterrupted
each half. Try selling that to the networks who are used to ad breaks
every three minutes.

You are right, I forgot that. So how is it televised in other
countries to handle commercial breaks? Are the all cramed together
at the end or do they have a scroll at the bottom of the screen while
the game is in progress?

Old June 23rd 05, 01:58 PM
Alastair

There isn't any commercial breaks during the 45-minute halves. As if
anything did happen in the game during those breaks the "network" would
have a public uprising against them.

The commercials are done in abundance before the game, at half-time (15
minutes of it, which about 8 minutes are adverts) and at the end of the
game, with the commercials being on billboards at the side of the park,
and on the players shirts.

The main problem with "soccer" not becoming popular in the US is
because you guys will not hold the monopoly on it. If you look at
American Football, Basketball, Baseball etc. you are the best in the
world at it. I am not saying the US Soccer team aren't a good team as
they are coming on leaps and bounds in the past decade, but when
Americans generally watch sport it is because they are going to win at
it, and can't celebrate how good you are at it, and generally how
wonderful you are (really trying not to sound offensive, but I think I
am failing miserably :-) at the sport.

Old June 23rd 05, 02:23 PM
Don Estabrook

I think what Alistair is trying to say is that, perhaps above all, the 2
things that make a country go crazy about a certain sport are TRADITION &
SUCCESS. That's why Americans love Baseball, American Football &
Basketball, why Canadians love Hockey and, to a lesser extent, Curling, why
Bull Fighting is big in Spain, why the British love Football (Soccer) and
Cricket!

--
Thanks,
Don
oups.com...

Old June 23rd 05, 02:29 PM
Alastair

Thank you for saving my blushes.

Really didn't want to offend an entire nation... put it more elegantly
than I could ever :-)

Old June 23rd 05, 02:58 PM
simon

In message , Don Estabrook
writes
I think what Alistair is trying to say is that, perhaps above all, the
2 things that make a country go crazy about a certain sport are
TRADITION & SUCCESS. That's why

snip
British love Football (Soccer) and Cricket!

I think I see a flaw in your argument.

--
Simon
Old June 23rd 05, 03:04 PM
Don Estabrook

What do you see as the flaw?

--
Thanks,
Don
"simon" wrote in message
In message , Don Estabrook
writes

Old June 23rd 05, 03:26 PM
Jesus Petry

Don Estabrook wrote:
What do you see as the flaw?

--
Thanks,
Don
"simon" wrote in message
In message , Don Estabrook
writes
I think what Alistair is trying to say is that, perhaps above all, the
2 things that make a country go crazy about a certain sport are
TRADITION & SUCCESS. That's why

snip
British love Football (Soccer) and Cricket!

I think I see a flaw in your argument.

--
Simon

I understand what the poster meant, but I don't want to upset
my British friends :-). Let me just say they've got a lot of
TRADITION... Oops! Sorry...

ducks

Tchau!
Jesus Petry