New subject; was: Is the Peru stamp legit

Old August 22nd 06, 01:59 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

Default New subject; was: Is the Peru stamp legit

This is an example of what happens to a stamp if the postal
authority handling it deems it unacceptable. In 1995, the Palestinian
Authority (PA) issued a set of three stamps showing stamps of Palestine
issued during the British Mandate. The stamps (SG PA 23, 24 and 25), ),
showed Rachel's Tomb, a Jewish shrine; the Citadel in Jerusalem; and the
Dome
of the Rock, a Moslem shrine located on the site of the Temple destroyed by
the Romans in AD70. All three sites are claimed as part of Israel. At that
time (1995), mail to and from the Palestinian Authority went through
Israel's postal system. They deemed it unacceptable for the PA to depict
shrines that were in areas that Israel claims. Mail with those stamps was
retuned to the PA, which then had a white sticker pasted over the
"offending" stamp. I have one of the three that came to me in regular
(non-philatelic) mail.

The following image shows the "offending" stamps and the originals
issued during the Mandate

http://cjoint.com/?iwcMYlvCPp

This following image is of a non-philatelic letter that I received with the
PA
"offending" stamp covered by a white sticker. The handstamp was applied
by the PA to indicate that under it is a stamp that is necessary to make up
the 180 (currency?) airmail rate to the USA.

http://cjoint.com/?iwcOWoJ8qA

Tony Gelat

Old August 23rd 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Ralphael1

A.E. Gelat wrote:
[...]

Excellent post Tony, accolades to you.
I always wondered where you resided and now I know. :-)

Ralphael, the OLD one.

Old August 23rd 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On 23 Aug 2006 04:17:43 -0700, "Ralphael1" wrote:

A.E. Gelat wrote:
[...]

Yes, great post pertaining to buildings. But not pertaining to the
original subject. Watch out for new mail!

=======================
Tracy Barber
-----------------------
adirondack-pc
-----------------------
"Freebie Stamp Project"
=======================

Old August 23rd 06, 06:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
[email protected]

On Wed, 23 Aug 2006 12:07:57 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

Trscy, I labeled it "New subject".

Yes, I know... no problem-o!

.. .

Old August 23rd 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
This is an example of what happens to a stamp if the postal
authority handling it deems it unacceptable. In 1995, the Palestinian
Authority (PA) issued a set of three stamps showing stamps of Palestine
issued during the British Mandate. The stamps (SG PA 23, 24 and 25), ),
showed Rachel's Tomb, a Jewish shrine; the Citadel in Jerusalem; and the
Dome
of the Rock, a Moslem shrine located on the site of the Temple destroyed
by
the Romans in AD70.

Yes, indeed.

All three sites are claimed as part of Israel.

Claimed by whom? Aren't they part of the Israel state, and this for a quite
long time?

BTW, this isn't a new subject but a very old one, anyway older then Peru
ceramics :-)

--
Victor Manta

Old August 23rd 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

Victor, the details were only to give some background to the problem. The
article was posted in the context of unwanted stamps, in this case the one
that had a white paper sticker on it to obliterate the "offensive" image.
You say it is not a new subject, but I have never seen any mention in this
newsgroup about the stickers on the stamps.
Now the facts; Rachel's Tomb is in the West Bank, but Israel had walled it
off and connected it to Jerusalem by a thin corridor. The Jerusalem Citadel
in the part of Jerusalem that is east of the Green Line, that is, in the
West Bank. The 8-mil original stamp shows the Dome of the Rock, a Moslem
shrine, and is in the Old City of Jerusalem, which is West Bank and is still
claimed by the Palestinians. It is also built over the ruins of the Jewish

Old August 26th 06, 07:07 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Victor Manta

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
Victor, the details were only to give some background to the problem.
The article was posted in the context of unwanted stamps, in this case the
one that had a white paper sticker on it to obliterate the "offensive"
image. You say it is not a new subject, but I have never seen any mention
in this newsgroup about the stickers on the stamps.
Now the facts; Rachel's Tomb is in the West Bank, but Israel had walled
it off and connected it to Jerusalem by a thin corridor. The Jerusalem
Citadel in the part of Jerusalem that is east of the Green Line, that is,
in the West Bank. The 8-mil original stamp shows the Dome of the Rock, a
Moslem shrine, and is in the Old City of Jerusalem, which is West Bank and
is still claimed by the Palestinians. It is also built over the ruins of
the Jewish temple destroyed by the Romans in AD 70.

Tony

Thank you for your explanations, Tony.

I wrote what you mention because the history of Israel isn't a new subject
(it is actually an old and so often a sad one). As a Swiss philosopher said,
the happy nations have no history. Your posting speaks about something of
interesting, that wasn't discussed befor, afaik.

Anyway, probably the best way is to put the subject of a posting directly
into the subject line.

--
Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org/
Art on Stamps: http://artonstamps.org/
Romania by Stamps: http://marci-postale.com/

Old August 27th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
A.E. Gelat

You are welcome

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message
Victor, the details were only to give some background to the problem.
The article was posted in the context of unwanted stamps, in this case
the one that had a white paper sticker on it to obliterate the
"offensive" image. You say it is not a new subject, but I have never seen
any mention in this newsgroup about the stickers on the stamps.
Now the facts; Rachel's Tomb is in the West Bank, but Israel had walled
it off and connected it to Jerusalem by a thin corridor. The Jerusalem
Citadel in the part of Jerusalem that is east of the Green Line, that is,
in the West Bank. The 8-mil original stamp shows the Dome of the Rock, a
Moslem shrine, and is in the Old City of Jerusalem, which is West Bank
and is still claimed by the Palestinians. It is also built over the
ruins of the Jewish temple destroyed by the Romans in AD 70.

Old September 1st 06, 04:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
ian-b

Default Israel philatelic problems (was New subject)

----8-----
This following image is of a non-philatelic letter that I received with the PA
"offending" stamp covered by a white sticker. The handstamp was applied
by the PA to indicate that under it is a stamp that is necessary to make up
the 180 (currency?) airmail rate to the USA.

In a related matter, Britain recently issued a set of World Cup stamps
showing the flags of the winning nations since 1996, including England,
with the St George's flag (not the UK Union Flag).

A potential customer in Israel wanted me to send the stamps with the
offensive cross removed, deleted, replaced by 'UK' or anything, but he
didn't want the (Christian symbol) of the cross.

This led to an interesting discussion with a friend in Jerusalem who
pointed out that Israel once issued a stamp on Mathematics which had a
"kosher" plus sign, ie not the '+' that most people would regard as a
plus sign. Bet most readers didn't know that the kosher sign exists!

Ian Billings
Norvic Philatelics
www.norphil.co.uk

Meltdown in progress! (recent rants) ... William Rollins Coins 2 August 22nd 06 03:03 AM
Stamp Guide? Midian General Discussion 9 February 3rd 05 03:23 PM
I've inherited / want to sell a stamp collection. TC Blair General Discussion 0 January 27th 05 12:56 PM
Repost: WARNING-EDMONTON STAMP SHOW = THEFTS!! GayMcVaySOBC Worldwide Stamps 0 February 7th 04 09:49 PM
Rogue Causing Grief for Stamp Dealers,Collectors-Stamp Club Exec Admits Money Laundering,Other Irregularities Disgusted General Discussion 0 July 2nd 03 07:53 PM