Sony TC-8 Channel Problem

Old December 10th 05, 07:00 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Default Sony TC-8 Channel Problem

Now after fixing the belt on this machine, I notice the left channel is VERY
low.
Cleaned he heads many times, but no improvement; is there a way to trace
this out to see what's wrong?

Old December 10th 05, 08:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 19:00:58 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Now after fixing the belt on this machine, I notice the left channel is VERY
low.
Cleaned he heads many times, but no improvement; is there a way to trace
this out to see what's wrong? snip

Playback gain is low in one channel, OR you have a tracking problem
brought on by melted/gone/improper pressure pads. Check this: is the
left channel way down on all four programs, or only on program 1? Is
the pressure pad new, and if so, is it one of those "aquarium filter
foam" frauds from Charlie Nudo? If so, it'll have be to replaced by a
Win-Gib® or something equally good.

Since 8 track has no means for acccurate back tension, pressure pads
are critical to maintaining pole piece contact with the tape oxide.
However, if the left channel is low on all four programs and the pads
are good in all carts you try, you have a playback gain problem in the
machine, or a component failure, not uncommon in Sony crap.
Personally, Sony has been THE worst brand of electronic stuff I've
dealt with for over 40 years. Highest failure rate, highest parts
cost, lowest reliability...friends don't let friends buy Sony. My
latest Sony mistake, a digital camera, has been back three times to
correct various problems.

It could be that the playback gain pot in the head amps on the
playback side is maladjusted or dirty, and that'll take an alignment
by a competent tech to fix correctly. You could "fudge" it by
"exercizing" the proper pot and leaving the wiper in the same
approximate position as it was originally set, and then your playback
gain will be somewhat close to nominal.

dB
Old December 10th 05, 09:20 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

Yes, it's a player problem; if I gently tap the side of the unit, the level
gains.
I cannot seem to find these pots everyone talk about!

Old December 10th 05, 10:24 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

On Sat, 10 Dec 2005 21:20:17 GMT, "ommadawn"
wrote:

Yes, it's a player problem; if I gently tap the side of the unit, the level
gains.
I cannot seem to find these pots everyone talk about! snip

They're inside on the main amp circuit board, usually designated "PB
L" or "PB LEFT" or something similar. I "tapping" the unit
momentarily brings the gain back, it could also be cracked wave solder
on the circuit board, a common problem with all '70s era electronics
from Japan. I'd recommend against working on this as far as
troubleshooting the circuit board unless you have a schematic.

dB
Old December 11th 05, 12:26 PM posted to alt.collecting.8-track-tapes

my God man, don't listen to DeserTBob- the guy is a bumbling fool,
he'll have your player all f-d up in no time