Response to Question from D. French

Old May 27th 04, 12:29 AM
A.E. Gelat

Default Response to Question from D. French

This is one and a half years late, but better late than never. Someone
wrote: "A weird fact -- some under-employed statistician once calculated
that every drop of water on this planet has been through a human body just
over 11 times (ughh!!)". I disagreed with that, and offered to do the
calculations. David French asked me to go for it, as enquiring minds want
to know.

Well, I was unable to find the volume of the oceans, let alone all the other
water on land. But that is not really necessary. I calculated the volume
of just one cubic mile of ocean (and there are thousands), and converted
that to cubic millimeters. The answer is that one cubic mile contains 417 X
10^15 cubic millimeters. That is 417 quadrillion. Assuming a drop of water
is 30 cubic millimeters, and that there have been twenty billion inhabitants
on earth from the beginning of humans, then every human would have drunk 70
drops. That is for each cubic mile, and not the thousands in the oceans.

David, you can rest assured that you can drink, accidentally, of course,
much seawater while swimming, and you would still survive without any ill
effects.

Tony

Old May 27th 04, 10:53 PM
David F.

[...]

Hi Tony - an excellent piece of deduction there - I feel safer already!
I had forgotten about that thread - it seems a long time ago now...

I would however prefer to use the water from way out at sea, as the
quality at the shoreline near my home leaves a lot to be desired!
There is a sewage outlet about 0.3 km from here!

David, in good health and now drinking filtered water.

Old May 28th 04, 12:12 AM
Tom Loepp

"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message ...
[...]

Now could you do the math on 200 million years of thirsty dinosaurs.
When I was crossing a glacier just outside of Alaska Basin I put my
cup into a crack in the ice and drank what I imagined to be ancient
water but I guess that it is all ancient.
I'm still looking for a Gwondonaland cover.
TL
Old May 28th 04, 07:27 PM
A.E. Gelat

"J. A. Mc." wrote in message
On Thu, 27 May 2004 22:53:52 +0100, "David F."
found these unused words floating

about:

[...]

The more you 'purify', the greater the risk that your body can not respond
in the event that you should encounted 'contaminated' material.

Bluntly, if it's not above 40% of known unhealthful levels, then you're
actually promoting your body to maintain biological defenses.

Very true, a perfect example of this is that US residents that go to Mexico
get the "Mexican" bug, and Mexicans visiting the USA get the "American"
bug. This is becuse our systems are immune to our bugs, and theirs are
immune to their own different bugs.

Tony

Old May 29th 04, 10:39 PM
A.E. Gelat

Tom, here is the answer: The water in the oceans is enough for 8,500,000
dinosaurs to drink unpolluted sea water for 200 million years. Here are
the calculations:

1. Volume of the oceans in cubic miles, based on 70% of the earth's
surface being water, and that the average depth is 2 miles (actually,
it is much more):
2 x 3.14 x 4000 x 8000 x 0.7 x 2 = 281.5 x 10^6 cubic miles.

2. Volume of the oceans in gallons:
281.5 x 10^6 x 5280^3 x 7.5 = 31.1 x 10^18 gallons

3. Assuming there were 1 million dinosaurs living at any one time, and
that each drinks 500 gallons each day, then the total consumption
of clean ocean water is:2 x 10^6 x 1 x 10^6 x 365 x 500 = 365 x 10^15
gallons.

This means that there would have been enough clean water to sustain
85,00,000 dinosaurs. PLEASE, no more questions; I have other things
to do.

Tony

"Tom Loepp" wrote in message
om...
"A.E. Gelat" wrote in message

[...]

Getting Out of the Hobby Star Commons Sale (Prices Slashed). uncleduke Hockey 0 July 1st 04 01:41 PM
GOALIES @ 60% OFF US George Cronn Hockey 0 April 13th 04 08:29 PM
GOALIES @ 75% US George Cronn Hockey 0 August 29th 03 10:02 PM
UD INSERTS @ 80% OFF US George Cronn Hockey 0 August 20th 03 08:29 PM
1860's French and Ururguay coins question beekeep Coins 1 July 2nd 03 11:25 PM