silicone grease

Old October 2nd 04, 08:31 PM
Garglemonster

Default silicone grease

I found some silicone grease in the plumbing section of the hardware
store. The packaging doesn't list the ingredients, so i'm a bit
hestitant to use it. It's from Moen, the plumbing supply outfit, and
it's supposedly for faucets. Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

thanks in advance!

--

MY income is ALL disposable!
Old October 2nd 04, 08:53 PM
RAClifford

From: Garglemonster

I found some silicone grease in the plumbing section of the hardware store.

The packaging doesn't list the ingredients, so i'm a bit hestitant to use it.
It's from Moen, the plumbing supply outfit, and it's supposedly for faucets.
Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

I use the Gunk plumber's silicone grease all the time. On the front is written
"Lubricates faucet stems, valves, O-rings, gaskets, etc. Contains no petroleum
Additives".

Old October 3rd 04, 01:06 AM
Sonam Dasara

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 15:31:12 -0400, Garglemonster typed:

I found some silicone grease in the plumbing section of the hardware
store. The packaging doesn't list the ingredients, so i'm a bit
hestitant to use it. It's from Moen, the plumbing supply outfit, and
it's supposedly for faucets. Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

thanks in advance!

Yes, it - and most silicone grease in the plumbing section - is safe for
use on rubber and the like. It is formulated for use on washers and
O-rings.
--
Cordially,

Sonam Dasara
10/2/2004 8:05:12 PM
dovekeeper+at+electric-ink+dot+com
Old October 3rd 04, 03:33 AM
Jeff Miars

Garglemonster wrote:
I found some silicone grease in the plumbing section of the hardware
store. The packaging doesn't list the ingredients, so i'm a bit
hestitant to use it. It's from Moen, the plumbing supply outfit, and
it's supposedly for faucets. Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

thanks in advance!

You might try a dive shop if you can find it. They sell the stuff, and
fairly cheap.

Old October 3rd 04, 04:52 PM
Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP

"Garglemonster" wrote in message

I found some silicone grease in the plumbing section of the hardware
store. The packaging doesn't list the ingredients, so i'm a bit
hestitant to use it. It's from Moen, the plumbing supply outfit, and
it's supposedly for faucets. Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

It clogs the tines on my Parker.

HTH.

Old October 3rd 04, 06:36 PM
KCat

"Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP" wrote in message

It clogs the tines on my Parker.

HTH.

how did it get on the tines? it should only go on moving parts inside the
pen and it doesn't take much at all. a blob the size of a the head of a pin
is more than enough for most pistons. If there is a haze on the ink view
you've used too much. You don't want to get the stuff anywhere near the nib
or feed as it is water repellent. OTOH, it doesn't take much effort to wash
it out - a few thorough cleanings with ammonia/water solution, 409/water
solution or hand dish-washing liquid/water solution should be enough to
clean out excess that might have gotten in the nib. I just don't understand
how it could get in the nib? it's not the sort of thing that "washes" out
of the barrel with proper use.

of course, you could just be being a smart*ss and I'm too bleery to know. :P

Old October 3rd 04, 07:09 PM
PENMART01

"KCat" mumbles:

"Aardvark J. Bandersnatch, MP"

It clogs the tines on my Parker.

how did it get on the tines? it should only go on moving parts inside.

I just don't understand

how it could get in the nib?

Bend over, I'll demonstrate.

of course, you could just be being a ****ass. :P

"be being"...? Ebonics idiot.

Figures you be da pro grease monkey.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Old October 6th 04, 09:34 AM
Free Citizen

From: Garglemonster

I found some silicone grease in the plumbing section of the hardware
store.

The packaging doesn't list the ingredients, so i'm a bit hestitant to use
it.
It's from Moen, the plumbing supply outfit, and it's supposedly for
faucets.
Does anyone know if this stuff is safe?

I use the Gunk plumber's silicone grease all the time. On the front is
written
"Lubricates faucet stems, valves, O-rings, gaskets, etc. Contains no
petroleum
Additives".

Randall, I think the best lubricant for pen parts is KY. You can buy them at
the pharmacy.
--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

Old October 6th 04, 12:48 PM
RAClifford

From: "Free Citizen"

Randall, I think the best lubricant for pen parts is KY. You can buy them at
the pharmacy.

Thanks, but no thanks. I will stick with my silicone from the plumbing supply.
Feel free to use KY if it suits you.

Grease Beverwyk Autographs 2 January 3rd 04 06:17 AM
Advice request- lubricating a Pelikan M800 refill mechanism. notmeGuv Pens & Pencils 4 December 7th 03 01:42 AM
Lamy 2000 & divers silicone William Bosner Pens & Pencils 0 October 22nd 03 12:36 AM