US Post Office To DESTROY AFRICAN AMERICAN STAMPS!

Old January 28th 04, 05:18 AM
@lee@

Default US Post Office To DESTROY AFRICAN AMERICAN STAMPS!

US Post Office To DESTROY AFRICAN AMERICAN STAMPS!
`
Thurgood Marshall, Roy Wilkins, Langston Hughes, Zora Neale
Hurston, Patricia Roberts Harris are all on these stamps.
`
Please forward this and buy a book of our stamps ASAP.
`
The P.O. will DESTROY all remaining African American
Heritage stamps at the end of the month instead of
following their usual procedure of selling them until they are depleted.
`
Why?
`
Because we're not buying them! However, our postal workers
are asking patrons to complain to the Post Master, via a
complaint =A0form. Please ask for and complete the form (at the post
office).
`
Skip the love, flag, rose or teddy- bear stamps that they offer you
automatically, request African-American stamps every time. If we don't
buy them, nobody will. We need to keep the little things that we do
get.
`
Please send this email to all your friends so we can keep
BLACK STAMPS in circulation!!!!

Old January 28th 04, 04:16 PM
Victor Manta

"@lee@" wrote in message

snip

The P.O. will DESTROY all remaining African American
Heritage stamps at the end of the month instead of
following their usual procedure of selling them until they are depleted.

snip

Are these the only stamps in the history of the US Post that couldn't be
sold and have to be eliminated?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Victor Manta

Old January 28th 04, 05:08 PM
Dave Kent

*sigh* Another "urban legend" invented by someone who unfamiliar with standard
Postal Service procedures. When a postage rate changes the Postal Service
normally removed stamps of the old rate from general sale and eventually
destroys them. This has nothing whatever to do with the subject matter of the
stamps, and everything to do with the face value. The general public just
doesn't want to buy old stamps of the wrong value. However, inventories of
older stamps are stocked by the Philatelic Sales Division for mail order sales,
and at authorized local Philatelic Center post offices, where they are sold
until stocks are depleted.
Old January 28th 04, 07:59 PM
Victor Manta

"Dave Kent" wrote in message
*sigh* Another "urban legend" invented by someone who unfamiliar with

standard
Postal Service procedures. When a postage rate changes the Postal Service
normally removed stamps of the old rate from general sale and eventually
destroys them. This has nothing whatever to do with the subject matter of

the
stamps, and everything to do with the face value. The general public just
doesn't want to buy old stamps of the wrong value. However, inventories of
older stamps are stocked by the Philatelic Sales Division for mail order

sales,
and at authorized local Philatelic Center post offices, where they are

sold
until stocks are depleted.

Thanks, Dave!

I have actually expected that the whole has nothing to do with the subjects
depicted on stamps, but rather with a particular Weltanschauung.

Victor Manta

Spanish Africa: http://www.values.ch/sna-site/
Remove "um" from the e-mail address to reply

Old January 29th 04, 02:08 AM
Dakota

Victor:

Just a follow-up on what Dave Kent said.

However, inventories of
older stamps are stocked by the Philatelic Sales Division for mail order

sales,
and at authorized local Philatelic Center post offices, where they are

sold
until stocks are depleted.

Not all old issues are returned for destruction. Apparently
postmasters have a 'discretionary' supply that they can withhold from
the general recall. In my travels about, I try to find 'old' post
offices that are still in use. I like to take phographs of them - and
their interiors if the Postmaster will allow it. Most do! Three
years ago I was in Northern Indiana. I was passing thru a very small
city and spotted one - probably from the 1880's. This could be a long
story, but in speaking with an elderly postmaster I mentioned I was a
collector. He invited me back into the depths of the place and opened
a huge old safe. In a cavernous drawer he had about 600 sheets of
stamps from the mid 1930's (including all of the prexies) to about
1950. I bought them all. He was only sorry that he didn't have a key
that opened any of the other drawers in the safe - I was sad about
this too.

Then this last summer I visited another P.O. and asked about old
stamps. The only thing the postmaster was able to offer were 4 sheets
of the 1994-1995 $5.00 Scott 2592 - and I got those at face. He was
using them for regular postage for patrons. I've also grabbed lots of
full unopened sheets of all the "Celebrate the Century" issues and in
another I found a full dozen packs of the 2000 "Space issues".

Not all old stamps get returned to the USPA. I'd guess some
postmasters are merely lazy - or else they don't get a recall -
perhaps they ignore it, maybe they just get issues that they weren't
supposed to and don't know what to do with them, so they keep them.
But some very collectible issues can still be found - one just has to
ask.

But as Mr. Kent stated, no stamps are destroyed merely because of the
issue's subject matter. The original poster to this thread is
incredibly mis-informed, or purposely trying to crank up a 'racial'
thing. Fortunately there are others here more informed - more
intelligent - and most of all find such a subject beneath
comment....although I did comment.

An hour ago I dipped 41 apples into rich and luscious caramel and then
slathered them with finely crushed prime Texas pecans. Anybody want
one? I've got plenty! If you don't like caramel apples, I've got
plenty of popcorn. C'mon on over!

Handshakes,

Dakota

Old January 29th 04, 04:48 PM
Victor Manta

"Grandpa" jsdebooATcomcast.net wrote in message
Victor, I think this is a TROLL trying to stir up garbage where none

exists.

Of course, and now we got the right answers to a non-existing problem.

Victor Manta

Philatelic Webmasters Organization: http://pwmo.org
Art on Stamps: http://values.ch
Romania Shown by Its Stamps: http://marci-postale.com
Communism on Stamps: http://www.values.ch/Communism/

Old February 5th 04, 08:02 PM
LN in DC

You shoudl have tried to buy the safe!.
Similar happened to me years ago in Gunnison, Utah - the PM even had
50-cent Century Zeppelins. He wouldn't sell anything from that old
stock other than some prexy coils that he had a lot of.

Regards
Len Nadybal
Washington DC

On 28 Jan 2004 18:08:47 -0800, (Dakota) wrote:

[...]

Need Cash For Your Hobby sirray Football (US) 0 January 17th 05 08:05 PM
FS - a few more items Dogger Football (US) 0 November 21st 04 10:22 PM
FS - Odds n Ends Dogger Hockey 0 October 27th 04 11:28 PM
FS - A Bunch o' Stuff Dogger Hockey 0 November 20th 03 10:48 PM
FS - Post Cereal items - Hky & Baseball The Dogger Hockey 0 November 11th 03 10:50 PM