"Real" Money

Old January 29th 07, 07:06 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Phil DeMayo

Default "Real" Money

On Jan 29, 10:48�am, "note.boy" wrote:

Yes paper is a renewable resource but the fuel used in the making and
transportation is not. *Trees have to be cut down, transported and process
into paper....

Uuuuh....no tree was harmed in the printing of this dollar bill.

The Crane Paper Company uses cotton from recycled blue jeans.

Old January 29th 07, 07:17 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message
You're hitting it pretty much on the head, IMO. Way down the list of
priorities on the government's money waste list. Any cost savings by
not printing dollar bills would be diluted by the fact that we'd still
be printing six other denominations, and eliminating one of them
wouldn't silence the presses nor provide more money for pork pies.
The only real savings would come by not printing ANY currency. That
may yet come in some of our lifetimes.

Bruce

You obviously have NO idea of the percentage of total production of
paper notes in the USA that's taken up by printing the useless one
dollar note so your IMO should read IMOTCROTTOMHAIJALOHA, In My
Opinion That Came Right Off The Top Of My Head And Is Just A Load Of
Hot Air.

Have a guess, it's one of these, 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% 100%. Two of
the choices were deliberately included to confuse you, can you tell
which two? So we are now looking for you to make three choices. The
two deliberately confusing choices and the correct % figure.

Since there are paper notes other than the one dollar note, I will take
a chance and conclude that 0% and 100% are the two choices included to
confuse, deliberately or otherwise. Beyond that, I would only be
guessing. When you give the correct answer, could we please have a link
to your information source. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, we can and often do debate the convenience of paper vs.
coin, or the economy of paper vs. coin, but I simply don't understand
the charge that the one dollar note is "useless." It just doesn't match
my experience, sorry.

James

Well spotted on the two deliberately confusing choices. :-)

It is probably more accurate to say "relatively useless" as I could
certainly find a use for 1,000,000 of them. Billy

I've found many a use for just one of two of them. Probably will again,
later today.

James

I'm sure you will but the scandal is they should not be getting printed due
to their low value, it's a huge waste of money and ecologically bad, for
reasons given elsewhere. Billy

Old January 29th 07, 07:36 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

You do indeed have NO idea of the % of total production of the one dollar
note so have a go at spotting the two deliberately confusing choices that
were included.

Okay. Regardless of your sarcastic little game, I suspect that about half
of our paper currency production is in one dollar notes. Does that sound
like a "useless" item? Or is the US government wrong and you are right?

Yup, been down to the basement again and the cardboard box STILL makes
more sense than you do, do you actually READ my replies or do you just
randomly thump your keyboard.

Yes paper is a renewable resource but the fuel used in the making and
transportation is not. Trees have to be cut down, transported and
process into paper, the paper then has to be transported to the printing
works and printed, more energy used in the actual printing process, the
notes then have to be distributed. There is then more fuel used to
withdraw and process the worn out notes. I'm astounded by your
ignorance, did you think that the Papermoney Fairy magically turned trees
into one dollar notes and then back to trees again when they become worn?

Paper money fairy? Okay. All those things you mention above create jobs.
Eliminating jobs would put people out of work. Fuel consumption is a fact
of life in industry. Use of fuel in the curency printing cycle is cost
effective, based on the needs and desires of the public.

Oh no, you've got Buggy Whip syndrome, it's worse than I thought.

Progress unavoidably results in some jobs becoming obsolete.

A few examples to help you understand, many saddle makers were put out of
business by the invention of the internal combustion engine, many travels
agents are now being put out of business because increasing numbers of
people book their holidays on the internet, it's called "progress".

If you are still struggling to grasp this concept google up "industrial
revolution".

I will try AGAIN to explain to you how a discussion works.

Oh Puhleez! Anyone but you!

Do we have a volunteer to give it a go? I suspect however that it would be
a simpler task to turn a chimp into a concert pianist.

I post a comment, if you disagree you say so and explain why you
disagree. I then reply giving the reasons why I think you are wrong, and
it carries on like that.

So for starters have a guess at the answer to the % question as you
ignored it when asked the first time. I'll give you a clue, "blackbook".
Yes the bible is often black but that's the wrong book so don't waste
time looking there.

Your lack of ability to construct an informed argument probably means
that most are now skipping this thread. Billy

Talk about irony. I'm still waiting for your answer to my question about
where you get the notion that we have unaddressed currency problems in the
US and that our dollar bill is useless.

I was under the impression that Americans don't do irony.

I'll have one last try to attempt to explain it to you Cheeta.

No I won't try once more, I can't be bothered wasting any more time with
you, I'm off to have a discussion with my friend the cardboard box who
understands the Industrial Revolution better than you do. Billy (Tired of
banking his head against a brick wall)

Old January 29th 07, 07:37 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message
[...]

The one dollar metal coin has the same value as the paper version. Are you
now suggesting that the coin should not be produced either, due to its low
value? I was under the impression that your beef was with the cent, not the
dollar.

James

Old January 29th 07, 07:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
jim menning

"note.boy" wrote in message

it's a huge waste of money and ecologically bad, for reasons given elsewhere.
Billy

That's likely true for a lot of things, but their existence is justified because they
are both wanted and needed.

You keep arguing to try to justify your opinions, but that's all irrelevant. Things
like US cent coins and dollar bills will not go away until they are no longer of any
use to US citizens.

Don't you realize the reason so many dollar bills are printed to replace the
circulated ones shows just how much they are needed? If they were useless, they
wouldn't ever wear out. The average life expectancy of the dollar bill is much
shorter than that of higher denominations strictly because they get used so much more
frequently. Here in the US we have a true need for these denominations, and no
matter what you think, you aren't going to convince us otherwise.

Old January 29th 07, 07:42 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Jud

OK, this looks like fun! Let me help stir things up a little. Keep in
mind that I am being
totally satirical.
What cars originally made in England are currently made elsewhere? A
few that come to
mind right away are Rolls Royce, Aston Martin, Jaguar.
How much money is 'wasted' on maintaining the royals?
How good is your German, the language you would be speaking if not for
the USA?
Why did it take so long for the £/S/d system to disappear, and become
more functional decimal system?
And my favorite-Q: Why do the Brits like their beer warm? A: Because
Lucas makes
their refrigerators too.
Have at it Billy! 8-)

Old January 29th 07, 07:52 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Just recycled jeans, no new cotton at all and no other item of cotton?

Is that why copper rivets are sometimes found in American notes? :-)

The BEP gives 25% linen and 75% cotton. Billy

ups.com...

Old January 29th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"note.boy" wrote in message

[big snip]

As silliness goes, demand that the cent should exist is pretty much a
lightweight, and, if you want to talk in terms of waste of taxpayers'
money, hardly even registers on the radar, comparatively speaking.

James

You are correct of course but this is a coin NG so it is relevant.

I believe that GWII is rather expensive so why does the USA Government
not take a few simple steps to save a lot of money by dumping the one
cent coin and one dollar note? I know the answer of course, they are
politicians and have no common sense. Billy

What is GWII?

As far as our politicians are concerned, I'm going to guess that they
are aware of the tax savings that could be effected, but also that they
are aware of the likelihood and impact of public outcry. Even
politicians have to choose their battles.

James

Gulf War II. The one that will last longer than the Vietnam War, and
cost more lives and money. Billy

I wondered if that wasn't it, but didn't want to be the one who injected
that issue into the discussion. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but doesn't
the amount of money spent on GWII in a single day eclipse the amount of
money necessary to sustain the paper dollar for a whole year? Plus,
nobody is killed or wounded in the production of the paper money,
normally. And, it's kind of hard to inject God, Motherhood, and Apple Pie
into the matter of coin and currency production costs. Maybe that's why
it's all relatively invisible to the U.S. taxpayer.

James

The future of the one dollar note is of little interest to Joe Public I'm
sure but in a numismatic news group it naturally has a higher priority for
discussion.

I recently spoke to someone who thought that Mary Slessor on Clydesdale £10
notes was a man, that's typical of how little interest Joe Public has in the
papermoney that they handle on a daily basis. Billy

Old January 29th 07, 07:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message
note.boy wrote:

Keeping the one cent coin so that old ladies can save them in jars is no
reason to keep it going.

The sole purpose of the one cent coin seems to be to make change, which
then goes into a jar, your aunt's habit actually supports my point of
view and not yours, they don't circulate so why have them.

Correction, the sole purpose for the one cent coin in today's USA is to
facilitate the collection of sales taxes in those states that impose it.
Now, if those states would set their sales tax rate cards to round the tax
up/down to the nearest five cents instead of the nearest one cent....

At my pizza delivery job, the bottom line prices on the box labels are to
the one cent, but if the customer wants the 'odd' coins back (I use Sacs
as my 'default' $1 for changemaking on delivery runs), I'll just round the
change up to the next even five cents, my total 'loss' on that is maybe
ten cents over a really bad month.

--
___________________________________________ ____
_______________
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise
again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |
___________________________________________ | | | | | |
_______________

Rounding! Rounding! You should be burned as a heretic. :-) Billy

Old January 29th 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Ed Hendricks" wrote in message
note.boy wrote:
Many modern diesel engines are now so good that even the most
committed petrolhead would consider buying a car that has one.

Many are quicker to 60 mph than the nearest equivalent petrol engine
and the MPG is about 20% to 33% better. Billy

You cannot buy a diesel automobile in California. Has something to do
with the state's very restrictive emmission control laws. That's a
bummer. I agree that diesel-powered cars is one way to reduce fuel
consumption without sacrificing power. However, if ALL cars in the world
were diesel powered it would only temporarily delay the inevitable. The
world needs to seriously pursue a cheap, renewable alternative energy
source.

--
©¿©¬
~

I presume that someone somewhere is working on the pollution law problem as
there must be a lot of cash to be made from a diesel engine that complies.

Strangely the cost of diesel in the UK was below that of petrol until diesel
cars became more popular, now it's the other way round. Billy