"Real" Money

Old January 29th 07, 03:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Ed Hendricks

Default "Real" Money

note.boy wrote:

American cars don't sell overseas because we have corners in Europe
and American cars go round corners very badly, and the interior
quality is dreadful, and they use too much fuel, and most of them are
very ugly. Billy

What a snob you are! That statement is so full of BS that it smells. Are
you trying to **** off those non-European folks in this group by
deliberately using generalizations and unfounded claims? First of all, you
imply that there is no "overseas" except Europe. And that there are no
"corners" in the US. And that ALL US made cars are poor quality, gas
guzzling and ugly. All of which, of course, reflect a subjective opinion.
One person's "dreadful and ugly" is another person's dream machine. I
certainly agree that many US car models display a need for
improvement......no vehicle from any country is perfect. But, being a
Capitalist, I prefer to let the market drive those changes.....not the
opinion of someone in the UK.

--
©¿©¬
~

Old January 29th 07, 03:33 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:22:37 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

A small thick one dollar coin is definitely the way to go.

There is a coin machine lobby in Washington
that would bug congress forever to prevent changing
the size of the dollar coin, the cost to modify changers
would be huge.

Frankly, I think just making existing nickels
worth a dollar would be perfect.
And maybe make the cent worth 50 cents
and round to the nearest dime.

But then the mint couldn't make 500 million
profit on minting the dime, quarter, half and dollar
coins, and some people look at the big picture,
500 million profit, even after paying for the cents.

Joe Fischer

Old January 29th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message
You're hitting it pretty much on the head, IMO. Way down the list of
priorities on the government's money waste list. Any cost savings by
not printing dollar bills would be diluted by the fact that we'd still
be printing six other denominations, and eliminating one of them
wouldn't silence the presses nor provide more money for pork pies. The
only real savings would come by not printing ANY currency. That may
yet come in some of our lifetimes.

Bruce

You obviously have NO idea of the percentage of total production of
paper notes in the USA that's taken up by printing the useless one
dollar note so your IMO should read IMOTCROTTOMHAIJALOHA, In My
Opinion That Came Right Off The Top Of My Head And Is Just A Load Of Hot
Air.

Have a guess, it's one of these, 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% 100%. Two of
the choices were deliberately included to confuse you, can you tell
which two? So we are now looking for you to make three choices. The two
deliberately confusing choices and the correct % figure.

Since there are paper notes other than the one dollar note, I will take a
chance and conclude that 0% and 100% are the two choices included to
confuse, deliberately or otherwise. Beyond that, I would only be
guessing. When you give the correct answer, could we please have a link
to your information source. Thanks!

Oh, by the way, we can and often do debate the convenience of paper vs.
coin, or the economy of paper vs. coin, but I simply don't understand the
charge that the one dollar note is "useless." It just doesn't match my
experience, sorry.

James

Well spotted on the two deliberately confusing choices. :-)

It is probably more accurate to say "relatively useless" as I could
certainly find a use for 1,000,000 of them. Billy

I've found many a use for just one of two of them. Probably will again,
later today.

James

Old January 29th 07, 03:45 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
I waste about $2 a day drinking diet soda,
and 80 cents a day eating Reese Cups, and
maybe $3 a day just driving someplace because
I am bored, I could quit all those, and I will if I
ever have to quit, but it isn't a big deal at the
moment.

Aw come on, Joe, I was with you until you started calling Reese Cups a
waste. Or in my case, a waist? Oh, never mind. 8)

James

Old January 29th 07, 03:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

"note.boy" wrote in message

wrote in message
ups.com...
"Real" money, meaning that the value of the coin is in the
metal, is gone now. Was the USA the last country to coin
real money? If not, which country carried on coinage after
LBJ eliminated silver coinage?

BTW, I do not count legal tender coins like the US $50
gold coin, as it is not expected to be circulated as a
Kennedy half dollar was.

GFH

I would not be surprised if the USA was the last country to coin
"real" money as they have the most backward coin and papermoney
on the planet.

So, you've rigorously examined the coin and papermoney of all
nations on the planet and come to this conclusion, eh?

Mr. Jaggers

Prove me wrong by naming a non third world country that has a more
backward coin and papermoney set up.

Oh, I see, now that I've called your bluff, you change the
parameters. Clever move.

Mr. J.

What bluff and what parameters were changed?

I thank you for calling me clever as that's never happened to me
before. Billy

Your original challenge allowed a planet-wide search. The modified
challenge limited the search to non-third-world countries.

As for the compliment, you are welcome. You are indeed clever, and a
good guy in my book, too!

James

I changed to non third world countries to give a non apples and
oranges comparison, I believe that India has a very low value coin
that is sometimes drilled to be used as a washer as a washer is more
expensive to buy than the face value of the low value coin.

I can understand the need for a very low value coin in third world
countries but not in one of the richest country on the planet the USA,
it just silly and a waste of taxpayers' money. Billy

As silliness goes, demand that the cent should exist is pretty much a
lightweight, and, if you want to talk in terms of waste of taxpayers'
money, hardly even registers on the radar, comparatively speaking.

James

You're hitting it pretty much on the head, IMO. Way down the list of
priorities on the government's money waste list. Any cost savings by
not printing dollar bills would be diluted by the fact that we'd still
be printing six other denominations, and eliminating one of them
wouldn't silence the presses nor provide more money for pork pies. The
only real savings would come by not printing ANY currency. That may yet
come in some of our lifetimes.

Bruce

You obviously have NO idea of the percentage of total production of paper
notes in the USA that's taken up by printing the useless one dollar note
so your IMO should read IMOTCROTTOMHAIJALOHA, In My Opinion That Came
Right Off The Top Of My Head And Is Just A Load Of Hot Air.

First, I wish you'd enlighten us here in the US as to why the dollar bill
is useless and where you are getting this information. Here in the US, we
consider it one of the most commonly used of our paper bills, and thus the
cost of the paper it is printed on (a renewable source) is justifiable.

Have a guess, it's one of these, 0%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% 100%. Two of the
choices were deliberately included to confuse you, can you tell which
two? So we are now looking for you to make three choices. The two
deliberately confusing choices and the correct % figure.

You don't half post a load of ignorant nonsense, I just been down to the
basement and held a discussion with a cardboard box and it made more
sense than you do. Billy

NOW I understand where you're getting your information. Why didn't you
say so earlier?

You do indeed have NO idea of the % of total production of the one dollar
note so have a go at spotting the two deliberately confusing choices that
were included.

Yup, been down to the basement again and the cardboard box STILL makes more
sense than you do, do you actually READ my replies or do you just randomly
thump your keyboard.

Yes paper is a renewable resource but the fuel used in the making and
transportation is not. Trees have to be cut down, transported and process
into paper, the paper then has to be transported to the printing works and
printed, more energy used in the actual printing process, the notes then
have to be distributed. There is then more fuel used to withdraw and
process the worn out notes. I'm astounded by your ignorance, did you think
that the Papermoney Fairy magically turned trees into one dollar notes and
then back to trees again when they become worn?

I will try AGAIN to explain to you how a discussion works.

I post a comment, if you disagree you say so and explain why you disagree.
I then reply giving the reasons why I think you are wrong, and it carries on
like that.

So for starters have a guess at the answer to the % question as you ignored
it when asked the first time. I'll give you a clue, "blackbook". Yes the
bible is often black but that's the wrong book so don't waste time looking
there.

Your lack of ability to construct an informed argument probably means that
most are now skipping this thread. Billy

Old January 29th 07, 03:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Joe Fischer

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 14:38:45 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

Diesel engines are not popular in the USA and I don't know why as the MPG
for the heavy vehicles popular there would be greatly improved over petrol.

In case you don't know, every single heavy vehicle
in the US has a diesel engine.

But I still hate them, in 1951 the two brands of
buses I drove were Twin Coach and White, the White
was diesel in a heavy bus, while the Twin was aluminum
with a gas engine and air ride.

You failed to mention the engine that gets the
best mileage, it is electric, like in EV, or HEV, but
one of the things holding back full production of
electric vehicles is the price and supply of copper,
too much is being used in coins.

Joe Fischer

Old January 29th 07, 03:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

[big snip]

As silliness goes, demand that the cent should exist is pretty much a
lightweight, and, if you want to talk in terms of waste of taxpayers'
money, hardly even registers on the radar, comparatively speaking.

James

You are correct of course but this is a coin NG so it is relevant.

I believe that GWII is rather expensive so why does the USA Government
not take a few simple steps to save a lot of money by dumping the one
cent coin and one dollar note? I know the answer of course, they are
politicians and have no common sense. Billy

What is GWII?

As far as our politicians are concerned, I'm going to guess that they are
aware of the tax savings that could be effected, but also that they are
aware of the likelihood and impact of public outcry. Even politicians
have to choose their battles.

James

Gulf War II. The one that will last longer than the Vietnam War, and cost
more lives and money. Billy

Old January 29th 07, 03:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:36:19 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

I can understand the need for a very low value coin in third world
countries
but not in one of the richest country on the planet the USA, it just silly
and a waste of taxpayers' money. Billy

There are other reasons to have a coin than need,
and the reason the US may be as "rich" as you say is
because people saved those cent coins and either put
the money in a bank which was loaned to somebody
to go into business or build a house or buy a car.

For instance, my aunt never made over $2.00
an hour, worked 37 years, and left an estate worth
more than $250,000.

Even in the last few years before she died,
all coins went into a piggy bank, and when it got
full, they were rolled and deposited.

She attached no significance to the coins
or how they looked, except that 100 cents made
a dollar, 20 nickels made a dollar, 10 dimes
made a dollar, 4 quarters made a dollar, and
two halves made a dollar.

She also bought US Savings Bonds when
she had enough in the bank, and bonds bought
in the 1940s and 1950s became worth 10 times
cost when they were supposed to stop collecting
interest after 40 years.

Cents add up to dollars, and with enough
dollars, people think you are rich.

Coins are for use to make change and to
make transactions easier with completion on the
spot, without any silly rounding or fixing prices
to "almost" complete the transaction except
for the big chore of using cents.

The cent is worth more than the Japanese
Yen, and worth a hundred basic monetary units of
some countries in Asia.
The cent is the real money.

Joe Fischer

Keeping the one cent coin so that old ladies can save them in jars is no
reason to keep it going.

The sole purpose of the one cent coin seems to be to make change, which then
goes into a jar, your aunt's habit actually supports my point of view and
not yours, they don't circulate so why have them.

Do the Japanese have a one yen coin?

Do the Asian countries you refer to have a coin in their lowest monetary
unit? Billy

Old January 29th 07, 03:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

"Joe Fischer" wrote in message
On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 11:38:58 GMT, "note.boy"
wrote:

The ò coin is not terribly common in circulation in the UK and know a lady
who saves all she gets, sometimes exchanging two ñ coins for one, and she
cashes them in at Christmas and holiday time. Billy

Right, the little old ladies saving and scrimping are
the real money dynamos.

Joe Fischer

She is 39, is that old?, and has 4 foreign holidays a year, what point were
you attempting to make? Billy

Old January 29th 07, 04:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
note.boy

Many modern diesel engines are now so good that even the most committed
petrolhead would consider buying a car that has one.

Many are quicker to 60 mph than the nearest equivalent petrol engine and the
MPG is about 20% to 33% better. Billy

"Michael G. Koerner" wrote in message
. ..
note.boy wrote:
"Bruce Remick" wrote in message

The UK has better public transportation options than the US, and tries
to conserve gasoline by taxing the hell out of it and out of anyone who
insists on driving a car into London, for example. Those who really
need a car have little choice but to consider mileage first. There are
indeed a lot of big cars with big engines here in the US, compared with
most other countries. This may be due to the greater use of the car or
SUV here for long family trips on interstate highways. In many European
countries, there are convenient and traditional rail options for this
kind of travel. If we could buy a car here that gets twice the mileage
and which would serve all our other needs, many would.

Public transport in the UK is very expensive compared to the USA and
Canada, if more than one person is travelling going by car is cheaper
even at 88p a litre for petrol, and more confortable, more reliable, and
faster. The UK government treats motorists like a big fat cash cow.

Diesel engines are not popular in the USA and I don't know why as the MPG
for the heavy vehicles popular there would be greatly improved over
petrol.

The problem here is that the automakers are still jittery because of the
dreadfully bad way that they tried to introduce diesel engines into cars
back in the 1970s and 1980s (think 'big-rig truck in a small box').

Yes, I know that it has been several decades since that debacle, but
memories are long in the minds of those whom cynically complain the
loudest here.

I'd love to see 'Euro-diesels' being made widely available here and I am
fully aware of the fact that they are absolutely unlike anything from back
then.

The average person earns $9 an hour if the
professionals are not included, which is hardly
enough to avoid becoming homeless.

Why should somebody who spends every
cent they have before the next payday worry about
"real money"?

Any attempt to change anything in an
economy that is 3 times the size of the next biggest
would be foolhardy,
In a word, euro, it caused no problems so why should the USA have a
problem with a minor change like dumping the one cent coin and one
dollar bill?
Probably because 99% of the US public doesn't see their cent and the
dollar as a problem. Walk in our shoes for a while if you can.

Do they not wonder why they have jars of one cent coins all over the
place?

See my many rants on this subject in other threads.

;-)

--
Michael G. Koerner May they | | | | | | rise
again!
Appleton, Wisconsin USA | | | | | |