Russian Cancel

Old November 18th 07, 01:38 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Blair (TC)

Default Russian Cancel

On Nov 17, 9:12 pm, Richard Thouin /invalid wrote:
Bruno, Tony, Victor and Blair

Thanks for the input.

Blair, some of your links are broken or incomplete.

Best regards

Richard

In article
,
"Blair (TC)" wrote:

On Nov 17, 3:14 pm, Richard Thouin /invalid wrote:
Hi

Could a Russian-reading member decipher the place-name on this Russian
cancel and also locate this town or village?

http://cjoint.com/?lrveKtTQOF
an enlargement of the most legible cancelhttp://cjoint.com/?lrvfYuM8r6

I believe the cover (the back of a Russian Post Card, actually) is a
souvenir of the first day of Hilter's invasion of Russia June 22, 1941..
Thus the importance of the location.

Best regards from snow-white Quebec.

Richard

--
Pour répondre en perso insérer r devant mon nom et retrancher
/invalid

Hello Richard:

In my opinion, the cancel is from Baranavichy (Baranovichi)
in Belarus (then the Belarusian S S R). Population (1995) 173,000
It is located about 206 km North East of Bierascie (Brest).

Modern maps showing location of the city: ( ~ 53 North 26 East)
http://www.loc.gov/rr/international/...ges/by-map.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/heartland/e...37/belmap2.gif

My evidence:

(1) Here is a postcard from Baranavichy in 1910. Please note the town
name in cyrillic
letters at top left corner (after the 3) and compare to the
cancel.
The card shows Maryinski Street, if I am reading correctly.
http://baranavichy.at.tut.by/p03 G.jpg
.

(2) It is an important railway centre. The city coat of arms has a
train on it.
http://www.belarusguide.com/images/p...aranovichy.png

This would make it an important early target for the German Army.
Here is a 1940 map showing the city mid-way on the route from
Brest (Polish
Border) to Minsk (Belarus capital).
http://www.belarusguide.com/as/maptext/bssr1940.html

Here is a postcard from that city (1911) showing oval railway post
office cancels
with the city name at the left side. http://baranavichy.at.tut.by/P1911
41749.jpg

(3) The date of your cover, 22 June 1941, marked the start of the
German
invasion of Russia (Operation Barbarossa). I suspect that being
so close to
the Polish border and being so important, Baranavichy fell to the
Gernans on
the 22 or 23 of June.

Summer 1944 marked the liberation of all Belarus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:EasternFront 1943-08 to 1944-12.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BelorussianOffensive

Blair

--
Pour répondre en perso insérer r devant mon nom et retrancher /invalid
To answer directly, insert r in front of my name and drop /invalid

Richard:

I just checked the links (via RCSD on Google Groups) and they all
work.
Which links are causing you problems?

Blair

Old November 18th 07, 03:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.stamps.discuss
Richard Thouin

In article
,

http://www.belarusguide.com/images/p...Baranovichy.pn

[...]

Hi Blair
As a matter of fact, all of them, save the first one. Three of the links
contain spaces which my newsreader does not recognize; but even if I
paste the text after the break in my browser it still doesn't work,
neither does it when I replace the breaks with a slash or an underline.

I tried them all from Google Groups and had the same result.

Sometimes, Macs can be just as frustrating as PCs.

Richard