AMI/ROWE R-82 problem

Old September 13th 03, 03:55 PM
Robotron Tom

Default AMI/ROWE R-82 problem

I have a R-82 Black Magic and the right channel is out. Is there a typical
problem with these? Something I should look at?

Thank you,
--
Robotron Tom *remove nospam to email*

Flashback Arcade Sales at: http:// www.arcadeguy.net

"The U.S.A. will remain the home of the free only so long as it remains the
home of the brave"
-Elmer Davis
Old September 17th 03, 04:19 AM
Tony Miklos

Robotron Tom wrote:

I have a R-82 Black Magic and the right channel is out. Is there a typical
problem with these? Something I should look at?

Thank you,

Did you narrow it down to it being a problem with the amp, the cartridge
or wiring to the amp, or the speakers yet? That is the first step.

--
Tony

Old September 17th 03, 10:26 PM
Robotron Tom

Tony Miklos started a controversy when he said
in :

Did you narrow it down to it being a problem with the amp, the
cartridge
or wiring to the amp, or the speakers yet? That is the first step.
--
Tony

I switched the RCA connectors around and the other channel is dead. I
assume that means that I have a good amp.

I'll put a meter on the leads and see where the short is.

Thank you Tony!

Old September 18th 03, 12:41 AM
KLR

On 17 Sep 2003 21:26:53 GMT, Robotron Tom wrote:

Tony Miklos started a controversy when he said
in :

Did you narrow it down to it being a problem with the amp, the
cartridge
or wiring to the amp, or the speakers yet? That is the first step.
--
Tony

I switched the RCA connectors around and the other channel is dead. I
assume that means that I have a good amp.

I'll put a meter on the leads and see where the short is.

Thank you Tony!

You will either have a cartridge that has one channel dead - or there
will more likely be one of the small delicate wires broken that
connect to it.

if you remove the cartridge - replace the wires exactly as they were -
remember that one side will be reversed (ie: the red wire will go to
the - terminal on one channel) this is normal.

Old September 18th 03, 02:37 PM
Ten--Pin-

It may be an oxidized connection of one or more of the pins on the 7 pin
plug for the audio cable from the mech to the amplifier. With the
volume low, ( but not completely down ) and with a ecord playing,
carefully wiggle this plug around in a circular motion and see if the
sound comes back in the dead channel. You could also just try
un-plugging it and plugging it back in and see if that brings the sound
back in the dead channel. As another poster suggested carefully check
the wires on the solder terminal part of the socket on the Mech and see
if one of the tiny delicate wires may have broken off. these wires flex
xlightly each time the tone arm plays a record.

It could also be a wire broken off at the cartridge terminal clips. If
so, do NOT solder the wire back onto the terminal clip while it is on
the cartridge. Cartridges Do Not like heat !. Remove the clip and then
re-solder the wire to it, then put the clip back on the appropriate
cartridge pin.

The audio cable itself may have a bad solder connection on the RCA plug
or the 7 pin plug on the other end.

good luck and remember the cartridge connections to the Sure Cartridge
in a Rowe/Ami Jukebox are Not the same as they would be if the same
cartridge were used in a conventional record playback system. If you
remove the wires from the cartridge, make yourself a drawing of what
wires went to what pins before you remove them.

If your machine as the 2179A Amplifier ( 64 watt integrated (( amp
pre-amp on same chassis ) which was the standard model for the R 82, it
was somewhat common for intermittent contacts to occour in the Mute
Relay and / or the socket connections for this relay. With the volume
very LOW and a record playing you can very carefully wiggle the relay
around in its socket and see if the dead channel comes on. The contact
points may also need cleaning.

good luck !

Old September 18th 03, 09:30 PM
Robotron Tom

KLR started a controversy when he said in
:

You will either have a cartridge that has one channel dead - or there
will more likely be one of the small delicate wires broken that
connect to it.

if you remove the cartridge - replace the wires exactly as they were -
remember that one side will be reversed (ie: the red wire will go to
the - terminal on one channel) this is normal.

I checked continuity from the amp to the cartridge. All good on both
channels. So, that leaves a bad cartridge.

Any suggestions on what cartridge to buy and where to get the best price?

I also moved the balance control and tend to get a fair amount of hum
from the dead channel. Is that common for a bad cartridge?

Thanks again guys, you're the best!

Old September 18th 03, 09:37 PM
Robotron Tom

(Ten--Pin-) started a controversy when he said in
:

[...]

WOW...I love technical talk. Thank you for all the info and things to
look at. I did narrow it down to the cartridge. Thank you.

I hate to do this but, you seem to have a very good working knowledge of
these AMI's and I have a question on my R-92 Combo if you don't mind.

The lights won't flash. What are the things to look for?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Old September 18th 03, 10:25 PM
Tony Miklos

Robotron Tom wrote:

Tony Miklos started a controversy when he said
in :

Did you narrow it down to it being a problem with the amp, the
cartridge
or wiring to the amp, or the speakers yet? That is the first step.
--
Tony

I switched the RCA connectors around and the other channel is dead. I
assume that means that I have a good amp.

I'll put a meter on the leads and see where the short is.

Thank you Tony!

It sounds like my question just gave you a jump start, you knew how to
fix it all along!

--
Tony

Old September 18th 03, 10:36 PM
Tony Miklos

Robotron Tom wrote:

KLR started a controversy when he said in
:

You will either have a cartridge that has one channel dead - or there
will more likely be one of the small delicate wires broken that
connect to it.

if you remove the cartridge - replace the wires exactly as they were -
remember that one side will be reversed (ie: the red wire will go to
the - terminal on one channel) this is normal.

I checked continuity from the amp to the cartridge. All good on both
channels. So, that leaves a bad cartridge.

Any suggestions on what cartridge to buy and where to get the best price?

I also moved the balance control and tend to get a fair amount of hum
from the dead channel. Is that common for a bad cartridge?

Yes it is. It is also common for a broken wire or bad connection, but
you seem to have narrowed it down. To double check it you can do the
"hum" test. With the volume low to medium, play a record and lift up
the tone arm. While touching the metal of a small screwdriver, touch it
to the terminals on the cartridge one at a time. You should get a nice
60 cycle hum touching two of the terminals. If only two give a good
hum, yes it's probably the cartridge. If only 1 hums, double check for
a broken signal wire. If three hum, double check for a broken ground wire.

--
Tony

Old September 19th 03, 06:27 AM
John Robertson

You might also have a collapsed stylus...make sure it is not bent - it
must be centered in the tiny tube it fits in...

John :-#)#

On 18 Sep 2003 20:30:33 GMT, Robotron Tom wrote:

KLR started a controversy when he said in
:

You will either have a cartridge that has one channel dead - or there
will more likely be one of the small delicate wires broken that
connect to it.

if you remove the cartridge - replace the wires exactly as they were -
remember that one side will be reversed (ie: the red wire will go to
the - terminal on one channel) this is normal.

I checked continuity from the amp to the cartridge. All good on both
channels. So, that leaves a bad cartridge.

Any suggestions on what cartridge to buy and where to get the best price?

I also moved the balance control and tend to get a fair amount of hum
from the dead channel. Is that common for a bad cartridge?

Thanks again guys, you're the best!

(Please post followups or tech enquires to the newsgroup)
www.flippers.com