Making Books Your Own

Old February 9th 05, 02:29 PM
Petronius

Default Making Books Your Own

Lately I've been cleaning my 19th century first editions using a mixture of
sulphuric acid and Drano.
I lightly wipe the edges with this solution and they become white as snow!
And you should be how clean the leather bindings get! Truly astounding.
xoxoxo,
Petronius

Old February 10th 05, 03:12 AM
Al Smith

Lately I've been cleaning my 19th century first editions using a mixture of
sulphuric acid and Drano.
I lightly wipe the edges with this solution and they become white as snow!
And you should be how clean the leather bindings get! Truly astounding.
xoxoxo,
Petronius

I should try that. I've always had good success with bleach. Never
should have used it on my sister's 19th century colored prints,
though. Ah, well, we live and learn. How was I to know the ink was
soluble?
Old February 10th 05, 09:24 AM
Bud Webster

On Thu, 10 Feb 2005 03:12:44 GMT, Al Smith
wrote:

Lately I've been cleaning my 19th century first editions using a mixture of
sulphuric acid and Drano.
I lightly wipe the edges with this solution and they become white as snow!
And you should be how clean the leather bindings get! Truly astounding.
xoxoxo,
Petronius

I should try that. I've always had good success with bleach. Never
should have used it on my sister's 19th century colored prints,
though. Ah, well, we live and learn. How was I to know the ink was
soluble?

I should point out here as an addendum that Milk of Magnesia is useful
for getting mildew and odors out of books, but even better - if a bit
more expensive - is using individual wet-wipes between the pages.
Leave them in for a few days, then rinse *thoroughly* in tepid water,
and pat dry (DON'T RUB) with newspaper.

Makes all the difference in my incunabula.
Old February 10th 05, 12:30 PM
Bob

I'm just surpised that one of the usual stick-up-their-ass regulars hasn't
posted decrying this thread as harmful to tyros.

BTW: Discarded nuclear waste works great in removing mildew and odors from
books. I get mine from Homer Simpson in exchange for a case of Duff.

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Old February 10th 05, 04:26 PM
Kris Baker

"Bob" wrote in message

I'm just surpised that one of the usual stick-up-their-ass regulars

hasn't
posted decrying this thread as harmful to tyros.

BTW: Discarded nuclear waste works great in removing mildew and odors

from
books. I get mine from Homer Simpson in exchange for a case of Duff.

--
Bob Finnan
http://bobfinnan.com

Maybe because this thread is OBVIOUS satire. The posting advising
someone to mix bleach and ammonia (if intended to be funny) missed
by a mile.

Kris
Stick Up Your Ass Books, Inc

Old February 10th 05, 10:30 PM
Bob

"Kris Baker" wrote
Maybe because this thread is OBVIOUS satire. The posting advising
someone to mix bleach and ammonia (if intended to be funny) missed
by a mile.

Switch to decaf sweetie.

--
Bob Finnan