need help with some book information

Old September 4th 04, 03:13 PM
Thunder

Default need help with some book information

Please bear with me as this is my very 1st post.

I have a book which is quite old I am told and I cannot seem to find any
info in it and I was wondering if someone could help me. I have looked
completely through this book and all the info I have is the name of the
book is Aunt Louisa's bible picture book
London Frederick warne and Co
Bedford street Convent Garden
New York, Scribner, Welford and Armstrong

24 pages of illustrations
Printed in colors and gold by Dalziels
all gold pages signed by Moyr Smith
it is said to be printed sometime in the late 1800's
It has a green cover.

any help someone may be able to give me with respect to the actual book ,
the value, information or where I can get any information.

I have tried all the online sources I can find without much success I am
afraid so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Old September 5th 04, 05:43 PM
Jerry Morris

Dear Thunder,

Welcome to RCB! Here's a little information about your book, as well as
a little bit of background information.

I saw one abebooks listing of your book by an Australian bookseller for
$195. At first I thought that listing was quite high, but then I did a
little research.

Aunt Louisa's Bible Picture Book is but one of many Aunt Louisa books
published by Frederick Warne & Co. in London. In fact, Warne published
several different series of Aunt Louisa books. Scribner, in New York,
used the names, Scribner & Welford, and Scribner, Welford and Armstrong
to publish books received from overseas. Armstrong joined the Scribner
firm in 1872 and died in 1878, at which time Scribner reverted back to
using Scriber & Welford for their publication of books from overseas.
Thus, your book was published between 1872 and 1878.

Who is Aunt Louisa? It is a pseudonym. Stonehill & Block reveal that
Aunt Louisa is Mrs. Valentine. Halkett & Laing reveal that Aunt Louisa
is Mrs. Richard Valentine. Some abebooks listings show R. Valentine
as the editor of some books published by Frederick Warne. Who is Mrs.
Richard Valentine, you ask? My research shows that she is Laura Belinda
Charlotte Jewry (1814-1899).

Now for the illustrators: Mohr Smith and Dalziels. John Mohr Smith was
a designer, as well as an illustrator who was quite popular in the
English art world during the late 1800s and early 1900s. Dalziels is
more than one person. The name represents the Brothers Dalziel, a wood
engraving firm consisting of four brothers and yes, one sister:
George,Edward,John, Thomas and Margaret.

It is the illustrations which make this book collectible. There are
over 100 Aunt Louisa books listed on abebooks, the majority listed from
$50 to $200, depending on condition. Just because the books are listed
in three digits, however, doesn't mean there will be a buyer knocking on
your door tomorrow. You will also find more than a handful of Aunt
Louisa books listed on the ABAA website, so we really are talking about
a collectible book. How much is your book worth? It depends on
condition. I would say between $50 and $150.

Again, welcome to RCB.

........back to watching the trees bowing to Mother Nature outside my
library window, compliments of Hurricane Frances (only 40 to 60 mph
winds forecasted for my area, but for the next 12 to 18 hours).

Jerry Morris,
Hudson, Florida

(Thunder)
[...]

Welcome to Moi's Books About Books:
http://www.tinyurl.com/hib7
My Sentimental Library http://www.picturetrail.com/mylibrary and
moislibrary.com http://www.tinyurl.com/hisn

rec.collecting.books FAQ Hardy-Boys.net Books 0 May 9th 04 08:39 PM
[FAQ] rec.collecting.books FAQ Mike Berro Books 0 December 26th 03 08:18 PM
Book signing information Ted Kupczyk Autographs 6 November 2nd 03 02:04 PM
autographs dani.steiner General 0 July 19th 03 06:08 AM
Reducing Autograph Collection dani.steiner Autographs 0 July 16th 03 02:29 PM