The Worth of Elbert Hubbard?

Old September 25th 07, 10:58 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
[email protected]

Default The Worth of Elbert Hubbard?

I know Elbert Hubbard isn't liked by everybody, but I understand that
his books still hold some small value. I have the following books
(below) from his 'small journeys' series (some are numbered at the
back), in mostly good condition, albeit with the odd bump and mark.

I want to put them on ebay (australia), but have no idea of their
value. Can anyone suggest what they are worth please? Are the numbered
ones worth more?

"Little Journeys to the Homes of the Great Philosophers"
by Elbert Hubbard, and made by the Roycrofters, 1903.
I have 4 books from the series, namely
Aristotle (#6545),
Seneca (#13646),
Spinoza,
Socrates.

"Little Journeys to the Homes of Eminent Orators"
by Elbert Hubbard, made by the Roycrofters, 1903
I have three books from the series, namely
Jean Paul Marat (#8497),
William Pitt,
Wendel Phillips.

Any help greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old September 26th 07, 12:26 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
Don Phillipson

wrote in message
oups.com...

I know Elbert Hubbard isn't liked by everybody, but I understand that
his books still hold some small value. . . .
I want to put them on ebay (australia), but have no idea of their
value. Can anyone suggest what they are worth please?

Current prices are indicated by current markets.
One sample is available via www.abebooks.com.
You should sort by publication dates as well as
title and author.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Old September 26th 07, 08:48 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,alt.religion.kibology
Rachel

On Sep 26, 12:43 pm, Don Salad wrote:
wrote:

[...]

How is he related to L. Ron?
Or N. Ron?

Thanks,
Don- Hide quoted text -

JFGI dude!

Thanks,
Rachie

Old September 26th 07, 08:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.books,alt.religion.kibology
Rachel

wrote:

[...]

Rachie - Hide quoted text -

oh, i feel so stupid.

i just wanna make clear i did that to talk to don.

(i wasn't saying thanks to otto, just copying don)

Old September 27th 07, 12:19 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,alt.religion.kibology
Chris McGonnell

On Wed, 26 Sep 2007 13:43:35 -0600 (MDT), Don Salad wrote:

wrote:

[...]

This Hubbard made a fortune in what is now advertising and felt
guilty. He started a back-to-olden-tymey artisans movement in East
Aurora, NY, called the Roycroft Movement. Unfortunately, he and his
wife traveled on the non-artisan "Lusitania" when it got blowed up
good in 1915.

--
Chris McG.
Harming humanity since 1951.

Old October 12th 07, 07:01 AM posted to rec.collecting.books
Bill[_2_]

On Sep 25, 2:58 pm, wrote:
I know Elbert Hubbard isn't liked by everybody, but I understand that
his books still hold some small value.

SMALL value? I don't know about Hubbard's "books,"
because all I have read by him is his "Message to
Garcia". In my view, that one brief piece at --

http://www.birdsnest.com/garcia.htm

-- would be far more beneficial to most people (if they
really took it to heart, of course) than any 50 self-
help books on sale today. It has value, then, because
they can read it free on the net and save the price of
the 50 self-help books! Naturally, if we looked
hard enough at "Message" we could probably find
a couple of dozen things about it that are not politically
correct by today's standards. People don't the
challenge inherent in that piece. They would rather
be mollycoddled by a "self-esteem-booster"
article. Sad.

"Message to Garcia". Read it and grow.

[Memo from the upstairs office]

Old October 12th 07, 07:05 AM posted to rec.collecting.books,alt.religion.kibology
Bill[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Well, that puts in the the good company of William
Morris, Jack London and many others. I can think
of a lot worse things to do with one's fortune.