Colin Narbeth - London

Old March 6th 05, 12:54 AM
Darren

Default Colin Narbeth - London

Went in on Friday for the first time ever.

Came out with a 1776 Connecticut Shilling, a Jersey 1942 shilling and a
cross print ww2 Maltese 2 shilling 1 shilling, if you know what I mean.

Need to smuggle these in to the house and go back

I have found Aladdins Cave and it is closer to Leicester Square than I
imagined!

Thanks
Darren
Old March 6th 05, 10:34 AM
note.boy

There's an article about Colin in the March issue of Coin News.

He was the founder of the IBNS in 1961.

Does he have much Scottish in stock, I do check dealers' web sites
regularly but I have a suspicion that they are not updated very often.
Billy

Old March 6th 05, 11:29 AM
Darren

On Sun, 06 Mar 2005 10:34:08 GMT, note.boy wrote:

There's an article about Colin in the March issue of Coin News.

He was the founder of the IBNS in 1961.

Does he have much Scottish in stock, I do check dealers' web sites
regularly but I have a suspicion that they are not updated very often.
Billy

Billy

I was told the website is pretty active, there were some nice Scottish on
show, including some 19th specimen notes, I refrained from looking too
closely since I was on the search for wartime shilling notes. There were
some stunning looking Irish Provincial Bank notes featuring young Victoria.

I will be back, but I need to get paid again.

Thanks
Darren
Old March 6th 05, 01:07 PM
Scottishmoney

Ach, you are getting into Colonials aye?

I collected these pretty actively when I was a teenager, and saving
allowances etc, I managed to buy some pristine Uncirculated examples of some
issues, notably the New York Waterworks issue of Jan. 1776.

I also have a complete type set of the Massachusetts Bay Colony issue of
1780.

Back then they were not very expensive, but now they are.

D.

Old March 6th 05, 02:09 PM
Darren

On Sun, 6 Mar 2005 08:07:06 -0500, Scottishmoney wrote:

Ach, you are getting into Colonials aye?

Well I've started a small collection of war time shillings - and I figure
there was a war on... so I got it. I've been looking at colonials for a
while but my mood, and the price, was right.

I collected these pretty actively when I was a teenager, and saving
allowances etc, I managed to buy some pristine Uncirculated examples of some
issues, notably the New York Waterworks issue of Jan. 1776.

So maybe you can tell me something about the chap that signed my note?
Benjamin Payne - I've done a few google searches but get lost in the web of
useless references to the Payne family (sorry guys) through the ages.

I also have a complete type set of the Massachusetts Bay Colony issue of
1780.

Back then they were not very expensive, but now they are.

Which is why I only have the one

Thanks
Darren

Old March 7th 05, 11:45 AM
Scottishmoney

Well I have a bit more experience in searching this stuff and came up with
the following info:

Benjamin Payne(b. 1728, bur. 25 Jan 1782); lived in
Hartford, Conn. and was a captain in the Continental Army.

One of my more interesting signatures on several of the Massachusetts notes
is Loammi Baldwin, whom was a commander in the Continental Army, and later
developed a variety of the apple called the "Baldwin Apple".

It is possible to buy notes printed by Benjamin Franklin for only a few
hundred dollars, or notes signed by constitution or articles of the
Confederation signers for about $1000 or so.

Old March 7th 05, 08:32 PM
Darren

On Mon, 7 Mar 2005 06:45:17 -0500, Scottishmoney wrote:

Well I have a bit more experience in searching this stuff and came up with
the following info:

Benjamin Payne(b. 1728, bur. 25 Jan 1782); lived in
Hartford, Conn. and was a captain in the Continental Army.

One of my more interesting signatures on several of the Massachusetts notes
is Loammi Baldwin, whom was a commander in the Continental Army, and later
developed a variety of the apple called the "Baldwin Apple".

It is possible to buy notes printed by Benjamin Franklin for only a few
hundred dollars, or notes signed by constitution or articles of the
Confederation signers for about $1000 or so.

Photograph of his headstone would be great

I heard there were some notes from Mass. signed by John Hart, don't think
made an apple though.

Thanks
Darren