Before I spend my hard-earned dollars...

Old May 18th 05, 12:40 PM
Buzzygirl

Default Before I spend my hard-earned dollars...

I've been out of the hobby for awhile (collecting US type coins) but I'm
getting back into it after starting a collection of ancient Roman imperial
coinage. I have ordered a few ancients from good dealers on eBay and was
happy with the coins and the service. But I've seen all kinds of garbage on
eBay, too... overpriced stuff, stuff that's obviously overgraded, or cleaned
without disclosure of that fact. There is just so much out there.

So, I thought I'd check with you experts. Do you deal with, and can you
recommend, some reputable sellers/stores on eBay for nice type coinage? I am
focusing on obtaining a nice example (MS 60-65, depending on denomination)
of late 19th- early 20th century coins for now, and will work my way back
into the mid-19th century types as I am able. I know Ira sells awesome
coins, but alas, his offerings are a bit too "high-end" for my pocketbook
right now!

Jackie

Old May 18th 05, 06:03 PM
Randy Thompson

Buzzygirl wrote:
[...]

On ebay, and especially with MS coins, I would recomend you to only buy
slabbed coins. As a general rule I stick with NGC, PCGS and ANACS but
some say PCI is pretty good for non-modern coins. I also have been
known to break my own rules. Sometimes it works out well and sometimes
not.

I've got a couple of "Ira coins" but I got them a few years a go before
he became so famous and still delt with us "little people". Now,
the only thing he sells that I could afford are some high grade common
date wheats that I have no interest in.

As for your question about ebay sellers, I think there are several fine
sellers that post here. Also, someone just asked a very similar
question over on the CU boards.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=396477

You might want to check some of those sellers out. One seller that I
can recomend for raw type is "earlyus". He doesn't sell a lot of MS
stuff but he is honest in his descriptions and grades well.

Old May 18th 05, 06:58 PM
A.E. Gelat

Why do many use the cliché "hard-earned"? I worked for 56 years, in
offices, in the field, in tropical countries, cold countries and third-world
countries. I never had an assignment that I did not like; they were all a
pleasure. I think it is all a matter of attitude.

Tony

Old May 18th 05, 08:51 PM
Bob Flaminio

A.E. Gelat wrote:
Why do many use the cliché "hard-earned"? I worked for 56 years, in
offices, in the field, in tropical countries, cold countries and
third-world countries. I never had an assignment that I did not
like; they were all a pleasure. I think it is all a matter of
attitude.

Maybe it's attitude. My problem is that the things I enjoy doing do not
make much money (if any). So, I gravitated toward what was least
displeasurable yet most rewarding monetarily (IT). I don't hate my job
per se; it's just that I'd rather be doing so many other things instead.
If I ever win the lotto, I'll never "work" another day.

--
Bob

Old May 18th 05, 09:18 PM
Bob Hairgrove

On Wed, 18 May 2005 12:58:38 -0500, "A.E. Gelat"
wrote:

I never had an assignment that I did not like; they were all a
pleasure. I think it is all a matter of attitude.

Perhaps.

My "attitude" towards things associated with earning money are largely
influenced by the people I am forced to work with ... my boss, my
colleagues, my pupils, my pupils' parents, etc. Sometimes it's great,
and other times there are the inevitable people-related conflicts. In
such jobs, it takes two to have an attitude. g

Sometimes a job is accompanied by frustration because of budget
limitations which force one to work with suboptimal tools or on too
tight schedules. As Henry Ford was supposed to have said to a
customeronce (my free rendition here): "We can build it solidly,
quickly, or cheaply ... pick any two."

When I am pursuing an assignment where I am granted a great deal of
personal freedom -- and responsibility -- then my attitude has a lot
easier time of it. But people are all different -- some people enjoy
jobs more which come with little freedom because they do not want to
assume the extra responsibility associated with a more autonomous
position.

--
Bob Hairgrove

Old May 19th 05, 12:25 AM
Buzzygirl

"Randy Thompson" wrote in message
ups.com...
As for your question about ebay sellers, I think there are several fine
sellers that post here. Also, someone just asked a very similar
question over on the CU boards.

http://forums.collectors.com/message...hreadid=396477

You might want to check some of those sellers out. One seller that I
can recomend for raw type is "earlyus". He doesn't sell a lot of MS
stuff but he is honest in his descriptions and grades well.

Thanks Randy-- most helpful advice!!

Jackie