Dharma Bums

Old March 14th 05, 03:09 AM

Default Dharma Bums

in article , Jon Meyers at
wrote on 3/13/05 12:16 PM:

wrote...
I have read that the first Viking printing of "The Dharma Bums'

incorrectly
states "First Published in 1950". What printing then is the edition that
states "Published in 1958" with no statement of a 2nd or later printing.

McBride does say that the first state of this book shows the 1950 date, and
"may or may not have label correcting this error." There are (at least) two
possible explanations of a "Published in 1958" copy: 1) It's the second
state of the first printing, after the correction was made. But I don't know
if such a state even exists; the Ahearns make no mention of it. 2) It's a
book club edition, which may or may not have had the error in the first
place.

Thank you for your response. There are 50 first editions (not BCE) listed on
ABE, without jacket or with priced, price-clipped jackets, different states,
signed and what not, and not one listing states anything about 1950. I have
looked on eBay and one listing has a 1958 1st edition with a priced jacket
and the boards look just like mine, which has no jacket and no blind stamp
and appears to be of a better quality binding than the usual BCE. I have
casually looked on Google and WorldCat and there is no mention of a 1950
date. In fact, as you say, based on the statement in McBride and Ahearn,
it's as if no one out there has an actual first edition.

Old March 14th 05, 03:38 PM
Jon Meyers

wrote...
Jon Meyers wrote:
[...]

Here's what I get for reading my McBride too quickly: The misdated
copyright-page occured in *the UK edition*, published by Andre Deutsch in
1959, not the 1958 Viking edition. Which means that a Viking copy with the
"First published in 1958" statement is, without qualification, the true
first. Mea culpa.

--
Jon Meyers
(To reply, lose

The Dharma Bums Books 4 March 14th 05 10:15 PM
GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY GLIMPSES OF A MYSTERY Books 0 August 29th 04 06:07 AM
LAZY BUMS - DO NOT READ THIS EverydayWealth.com referral code: YXFP5568 General Discussion 0 October 11th 03 07:23 PM