A collecting forum. CollectingBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CollectingBanter forum » Collecting newsgroups » Books
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

1899 "Regulations for the government of The Life-Saving Service of the United States"

Old September 4th 13, 11:08 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Sep 2013
Default 1899 "Regulations for the government of The Life-Saving Service of the United States"

The item I have is an original copy (hardbound) of the 1899 "Regulations for the government of The Life-Saving Service of the United States". As far as I have been able to research, this was the last edition of the regulations before the USLSS was absorbed by the new US Coast Guard in 1917

Book was printed by US Govt Printing office (Title page reverse: Treasury Dept Document No. 2096 Life-Saving Service) and is in good to very good condition overall. Binding is solid with no loose or missing pages and spine is solid. The leather spine cover is in fair condition with some drying and deterioration. Gilt title is readable. Cloth bound cover with leather (?) corners is in good condition with no stains. Pages are marble edged and clean with no foxing. Some pencil "check marks" next to paragraphs on several pages. Later (1991) "gift inscription" on fly page.

Have not been able to locate any copies (either for sale or referenced) of the 1899 edition. Library of Congress Search lists 1873, 1877, 1884 editions only. One copy of 1884 edition listed online via abebooks.com $295 (retail)

As I have been unable to find much referencing this edition, I would value your opinions as to its relative scarcity in relationship to the available editions and the possible effect on pricing.

I have included some (poor quality) photos which are the best I have available at the moment. Thanks in advance for your time and opinions

Ads
Old September 6th 13, 04:35 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Feb 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by captcouillon View Post
As I have been unable to find much referencing this edition, I would value your opinions as to its relative scarcity in relationship to the available editions and the possible effect on pricing.
A lot of libraries seem to have that edition...

link...WorldCat
Old September 6th 13, 04:57 PM

First recorded activity by CollectingBanter: Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishMill View Post

Thanks for the link
Old September 7th 13, 03:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.books
R. Totale
external usenet poster

Default 1899 "Regulations for the government of The Life-Saving Service of the United States"

On Wed, 4 Sep 2013 23:08:18 +0100, captcouillon
wrote:

The item I have is an original copy (hardbound) of the 1899 "Regulations
for the government of The Life-Saving Service of the United States". As
far as I have been able to research, this was the last edition of the
regulations before the USLSS was absorbed by the new US Coast Guard in

What specifically about this book would lead you to believe that
anyone in 2014 would want to own it, refer to it, or purchase it at
any price?