My experience with NCS

Old August 29th 03, 07:40 PM
Dale Hallmark

Default My experience with NCS

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
Greetings!

I thought I'd share my recent experience with NCS. For those who don't know, NCS
is Numismatic Conservation Service and they're kind of joined at the hip with
NGC.

I mailed a package of two items to them on July 18, a 1982 D Washington commem
and a 1843 original proof half cent. The 1982 had very unattractive yellowish
blotchy toning, the 1843 had blotchy, uneven toning, very dark, on the obverse
and reverse. Before photos can be seen he

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25O.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25R.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843O.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843R.JPG

Snip

The GW does look a little under the weather but the
1843 looks great to me the way it is. If you get the chance
a after picture would be great!

Dale

Old August 29th 03, 07:48 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 13:40:18 -0500, "Dale Hallmark" is
alleged to have written:

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

I'm having real trouble getting copper to look right in photos. The toning
actually looks thick, like there's a layer of something on top of the coin. I
was worried that it might get worse, so it was my first NCS test case.

Bruce

Old August 29th 03, 07:57 PM
Bob Flaminio

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I mailed a package of two items to them on July 18, a 1982 D
Washington commem and a 1843 original proof half cent. The 1982 had
very unattractive yellowish blotchy toning, the 1843 had blotchy,
uneven toning, very dark, on the obverse and reverse. Before photos
can be seen he

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25O.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25R.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843O.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843R.JPG

If anyone needed to guess, I was Bruce's partner in crime with the 82-D
Washington. This coin started life in a PCI 69 slab, and has been passed
around to all the grading services. The progression:

PCI 69
ICG 66
PCGS 66
ANACS 67
NCS scrubbing - NGC 68

This is my one data point contribution to an analysis of the grading
services. Draw whatever conclusions you may like.

Thanks Bruce for helping me with my quest!

--
Bob

Old August 29th 03, 08:07 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 11:57:14 -0700, "Bob Flaminio" is alleged
to have written:

Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I mailed a package of two items to them on July 18, a 1982 D
Washington commem and a 1843 original proof half cent. The 1982 had
very unattractive yellowish blotchy toning, the 1843 had blotchy,
uneven toning, very dark, on the obverse and reverse. Before photos
can be seen he

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25O.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25R.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843O.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843R.JPG

If anyone needed to guess, I was Bruce's partner in crime with the 82-D
Washington. This coin started life in a PCI 69 slab, and has been passed
around to all the grading services. The progression:

PCI 69
ICG 66
PCGS 66
ANACS 67
NCS scrubbing - NGC 68

If you can see any evidence at all of scrubbing on those toned areas, mail me
back the coin and I'll eat it. :-) I looked long and hard at 30x.

This is my one data point contribution to an analysis of the grading
services. Draw whatever conclusions you may like.

When I received the coin in an ANACS 67 slab, I felt it was overgraded. The
yellow REALLY detracted from the look of the coin, enough so that I would have
graded it 65 or 66. I felt ANACS blew that grade.

Upon return, I have no problem with an NGC68. The surfaces really are mark free
and without the yellow it's quite a nice coin.

Thanks Bruce for helping me with my quest!

My pleasure!

Bruce

Old August 29th 03, 08:15 PM
Dale Hallmark

[...]

I have seen quite a few nice Large Cents that seemed to have a thick patina.
I assumed that someone greased them to protect them from further toning.
But what do I know :-)

Dale

Old August 29th 03, 08:31 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:24:05 -0500, Stujoe
is alleged to have written:

In article , Bob Flaminio
spoke thusly...
Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I mailed a package of two items to them on July 18, a 1982 D
Washington commem and a 1843 original proof half cent. The 1982 had
very unattractive yellowish blotchy toning, the 1843 had blotchy,
uneven toning, very dark, on the obverse and reverse. Before photos
can be seen he

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25O.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25R.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843O.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843R.JPG

If anyone needed to guess,

I think very few needed to guess.

I would be interested in seeing the after pics from this one (and
really any NCS before/after pictures). I think it is interesting to
see the work done and get an idea of what they can (and can't) do.

I'll get my camera back tomorrow and post the half cent. Bob will have to post
the 1982 when he gets it.

Bruce

Old August 29th 03, 09:21 PM
Ed Hendricks

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message

Overall impression: Very nice people to work with, they do what they
say they'll do. It seems actually a day or so quicker if you send the
coin through NGC afterward rather than having it returned raw. NGC
and NCS are very closely joined, much more closely than I expected.
They're literally right across the hall from each other and they
answer each others phones at lunch. I'll use them again, if I have a
coin that needs more than normal TLC.

Bruce

Thanks for the report Bruce. I have been curious as to what kind of work
the "conservation" or "restoration" companies actually do. If anyone else
has first-hand experience with any of these outfits please post the results.
I'm sure there are many here with an interest.

--
Ed Hendricks
ANA# R178621

Old August 29th 03, 09:34 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 20:21:38 GMT, "Ed Hendricks"
is alleged to have written:

"Bruce Hickmott" wrote in message

Overall impression: Very nice people to work with, they do what they
say they'll do. It seems actually a day or so quicker if you send the
coin through NGC afterward rather than having it returned raw. NGC
and NCS are very closely joined, much more closely than I expected.
They're literally right across the hall from each other and they
answer each others phones at lunch. I'll use them again, if I have a
coin that needs more than normal TLC.

Bruce

Thanks for the report Bruce. I have been curious as to what kind of work
the "conservation" or "restoration" companies actually do. If anyone else
has first-hand experience with any of these outfits please post the results.
I'm sure there are many here with an interest.

Check out their web page at

http://www.ncscoin.com/

Many good examples there, based on my observations and recent experience those
are pretty accurate. Naturally, I suspect they are taking the best examples (I
would) but it's still very educational.

Bruce

Old August 29th 03, 09:40 PM
Bruce Hickmott

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003 16:25:39 -0400, "Mark A. Behrens" is alleged
to have written:

[...]

Bruce,

Is that 1843 half cent an original strike, or one of the restrikes?

Thanks,

Mark

Original.

Bruce

Old August 30th 03, 12:51 PM
David Hollister

I would be interested in seeing the after pics from this one (and
really any NCS before/after pictures). I think it is interesting to
see the work done and get an idea of what they can (and can't) do.

The 10 or 12 coins I've seen, (all silver early commems), make the coins
look semi PL to PL. Imo, the results just aren't good for the hobby, nor is
the process.

"Stujoe" wrote in message
In article , Bob Flaminio
spoke thusly...
Bruce Hickmott wrote:
I mailed a package of two items to them on July 18, a 1982 D
Washington commem and a 1843 original proof half cent. The 1982 had
very unattractive yellowish blotchy toning, the 1843 had blotchy,
uneven toning, very dark, on the obverse and reverse. Before photos
can be seen he

http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25O.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/GeoW25R.jpg
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843O.JPG
http://home.woh.rr.com/boxturtle/1843R.JPG

If anyone needed to guess,

I think very few needed to guess.

I would be interested in seeing the after pics from this one (and
really any NCS before/after pictures). I think it is interesting to
see the work done and get an idea of what they can (and can't) do.

--
Stu Miller
Coins in the News - Coin Newspaper (Updated Daily):