What is "uninsured registered mail?"

Old March 7th 04, 06:10 PM
Scot Kamins

Default What is "uninsured registered mail?"

Folks,

I just won an auction for a Monaco 2002 Euro set from this guy in Japan.
Part of his "congrats" message was the following:
Your total comes to $262.00 including Worldwide S&H charge for
Ordinary Airmail. Please add $6.00 to the above total amount
in case you prefer Shipment by Registered Airmail
(without insurance / registered at Japan Post Office).
In the USA, registered mail comes with insurance. Anyone know what this
registered airmail is, and if it's any safer to use it than not? And is
insurance not available from Japan? I've written the seller back but
haven't heard from him.

Thanks,

Scot Kamins
---
***200+ Message Poster***
Old March 7th 04, 06:18 PM
RR

International registered mail comes with varying amount of insurance.

For instance, a registered letter from the US to overseas is only insured
for $40US, irrregardless of what valuation you declare.

In my experience the international insurance with registration varies (by
country) from nothing to about $50US. What you do always get with
registration is that the letter is signed for each time it changes hands,
which discourages theft of all but the most enticing packages.

Randy

Old March 7th 04, 06:19 PM
Ira Stein

Scot Kamins asks:

I just won an auction for a Monaco 2002 Euro set from this guy in Japan.
Part of his "congrats" message was the following:
Your total comes to $262.00 including Worldwide S&H charge for
Ordinary Airmail. Please add $6.00 to the above total amount
in case you prefer Shipment by Registered Airmail
(without insurance / registered at Japan Post Office).
In the USA, registered mail comes with insurance. Anyone know what this
registered airmail is, and if it's any safer to use it than not? And is
insurance not available from Japan? I've written the seller back but
haven't heard from him.

Thanks,

Insurance is an optional extra for Registered Mail sent from US to oher US
locations. There's a high degree of Security, but no compensation if item is
lost or stolen UNLESS additional insurance is purchased, and costs varies with
amount purchased.

In foreign countries, however, it may not mean the same thing. Probably extra
safety. In fact, when Registered mail is sent to foreign counries from US,
insurance is limted to about $42!

Ira Stein
Old March 7th 04, 06:36 PM
J. A. M.

RR wrote:

[...]

irrregardless is not a word.

JAM
Old March 7th 04, 07:52 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 18:36:46 GMT, "J. A. M." wrote:

irrregardless is not a word.

JAM

Like forks on a chalkboard, AINT it.

Irrespective + regardless = irregardless, no?

BLReed

To email me click he http://tinyurl.com/nd66
For collector coins and supplies at fair prices: http://tinyurl.com/pt9r
Cool things: http://www.byronreed.com/byrons_collections/default.htm
Talk bust coins: http://www.byronreed.com/phpBB2/index.php
Old March 7th 04, 08:27 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
(DONDI3) wrote:

Is there something I'm missing here?

W-A-A-A-L let's check the source at USPS:

http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendm...teredmailservi
ce.htm

or

http://tinyurl.com/396o8

*
When you¹re sending valuable or irreplaceable items through the mail,
protect them with Registered Mail.

Items you send with Registered Mail are placed under tight security from
the point of mailing to the point of delivery, and insured up to $25,000
against loss or damage. And you can verify the date and time of delivery
and the delivery attempts online. Registered Mail to Canada is subject
to a $1,000 indemnity limit. To all other foreign countries, the
indemnity limit is currently $40.45.
.................................................. ...

So there you go. Registered mail is insured for $25K within the USA, $1K
to Canada, and bupkis elsewhere.

But I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Monaco euros from Japan
to Portland.

Scot Kamins
---
***Collecting Euro's (for no apparent reason)***
Old March 7th 04, 08:30 PM
A.E. Gelat

In many foreign countries, Registered mail means just that: it is
registered and accounted for at every stop. There is no insurance unless
that is requested and paid for separately. Important business letters that
have no commercial value are registered, and in case of loss, there is no
compensation.

Tony

Scot Kamins asks:

Old March 7th 04, 08:37 PM
Byron L. Reed

On Sun, 07 Mar 2004 12:27:35 -0800, Scot Kamins
wrote:

So there you go. Registered mail is insured for $25K within the USA, $1K
to Canada, and bupkis elsewhere.

But I'm still trying to figure out how to get my Monaco euros from Japan
to Portland.

Scot Kamins

Notice though, that he will be sending it registered from Japan, so it's a
whole different ballgame. What coverage does Japan Post offer with
registration and what of that, if any, does USPS recognize?

The theory behind registration for small amounts is that the mail is so
secure that it almost never gets lost because the package is tracked from
person to person along the way. This is much more safe than sending it as
insured first class and have a "steal me" advertisement on the side of the
package.

Old March 7th 04, 08:46 PM
Scot Kamins

In article ,
Byron L. Reed wrote:

The theory behind registration for small amounts is that the mail is so
secure that it almost never gets lost because the package is tracked from
person to person along the way. This is much more safe than sending it as
insured first class and have a "steal me" advertisement on the side of the
package.

This makes sense to me, especially going international. I think I'll
spring for the registered airmail and let it go at that.

Thanks to all who answered.

Scot Kamins
---
***Collecting Euro's (for no apparent reason)***