Why do you collect coins?

Old May 10th 06, 07:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Why do you collect coins?

Vector wrote:

This topic has been discussed previously in this group, and others
have seen it differently from me, stating that 90% coins were common
into the early 70s. As my memory serves me, they pretty much vanished
from circulation before 1970.

I wonder if this has to do with people saving them, or the GOVERNMENT
purposefully taking them out of circulation by giving a mandate to all
banks to exchange them for new coins so to melt them down and maximize
the metal by making new coins ...?

Old May 10th 06, 07:36 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 9 May 2006 23:21:37 -0700, "The Space Boss"
wrote:

Vector wrote:

This topic has been discussed previously in this group, and others
have seen it differently from me, stating that 90% coins were common
into the early 70s. As my memory serves me, they pretty much vanished
from circulation before 1970.

I wonder if this has to do with people saving them, or the GOVERNMENT
purposefully taking them out of circulation by giving a mandate to all
banks to exchange them for new coins so to melt them down and maximize
the metal by making new coins ...?

Come on now... if you want to talk about conspiracy theories, let's go
to a political group. No, just a matter of people like you and me
hoarding them. It isn't so far from the fact that a lot of folk are
now hoarding pre-1982 Lincoln Cents. I'd bet that in 10 years a
pre-zinc cent will be an uncommon find. A 1964 Quarter isn't rare,
but chances of finding one in your change is slim. In the year 2020,
you won't find too many bronze Cents in your change either.
Old May 10th 06, 10:02 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I don't really collect coins the way others do. I only collect U.S.
modern day Commemoratives. And only one choice example of every U.S.
coin ever made, and I'm still shy a few. 1 Roosevelt Dime - 1 Mercury
Dime - 1 Walking Liberty - 1 3 cent piece - 1 half dime - 1 Draped bust
- 1 flying eagle and so on, you get the schtick. And in the highest
condition I can find. Most of my efforts are made on bullion collecting
as it relates to coins .... But I also collect antique Gold Pocket
Watches and antique Radios .... Why do you ask?

Old May 10th 06, 10:21 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Collecting" is a misnomer. It's much more psychotic than that. We're
re-living the history of conquest by *capturing* coins. Personally, I like
stand outside the gates of Rome and hurl boulders at the TPG empi
"Yeah, I got your tribute @%$7&! here it comes"

"It's an experimental division at Ft. Benning, and
your lucky to be assigned there rather than anywhere
else, because nobody knows anything about it, which
means that you should know quickly as much about it
as anybody."
1st Cav in Vietnam
Shelby Stanton

"The Space Boss" wrote in message
oups.com...
I suppose the vast majority of people here are "wheeler dealers" who
make a living at trading/exchanging or selling coins either from a shop
or internet. I'm sure that in and of itself is reason enough though I'm
sure these people have a love for the hobby.

But what about those of you who collect just for the sake of
collecting? Why do you collect coins? I imagine at a basic level it's
going to boil down to some feeling you get from looking at the coins,
am I correct? Describe those feelings, the feelings why you're a coin
collector.

Thanks.

Old May 10th 06, 06:54 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Vector wrote:

but chances of finding one in your change is slim. In the year 2020,
you won't find too many bronze Cents in your change either.

What year did they make Bronze?! I know they made Steel in 1943...

Old May 10th 06, 06:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

e wrote:
In article , Vector wrote:

On 9 May 2006 22:22:01 -0700, "The Space Boss"
wrote:

After 1964, how long did it take silver coins to disappear out of
circulation, I mean to where it became uncommon to see silver anymore?
Was it fairly quick? I remember by the mid-70's they were pretty much
gone from general circulation, that I noticed anyway.

This topic has been discussed previously in this group, and others
have seen it differently from me, stating that 90% coins were common
into the early 70s. As my memory serves me, they pretty much vanished
from circulation before 1970.

where is was, they were gone in 1965 and there was a major
shortage. merchants were giving $1.10 store credit for $1 of
pennys.

If they were short on quarters, why were they asking for pennies???

Old May 10th 06, 07:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

The Space Boss wrote:
Vector wrote:

but chances of finding one in your change is slim. In the year 2020,
you won't find too many bronze Cents in your change either.

What year did they make Bronze?! I know they made Steel in 1943...

1944 - 45

--
___ ____________
\ \/ ___ ___/ Charles R. Kaiser HOKC - MFA 1991

Direct all incoming fire to: 17TPJ2411274412
Zone 17T Zone CM -81 E 624112 N 4874412
44° 00'44.55" N, 79° 27'05.92" W 44.0123706, -79.45164444

Old May 10th 06, 07:56 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On Wed, 10 May 2006 14:49:31 -0400, Charles R. Kaiser wrote:
The Space Boss wrote:

What year did they make Bronze?! I know they made Steel in 1943...

1944 - 45

You know, the redbook used to show that. My newest one, 2006 I think,
doesn't make that distinction. I remember that they talked about it
being made from recycled cartridge cases for those two years, but I
can't find a current reference. They do seem more "yellow" than "brown"
for those couple years, based on the stacks of 'em that I've got.

Old May 10th 06, 08:35 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Well, pigeons must be fleeced, but I quit collecting because I no
longer believe in this ****ing country, nor anything it represents.
Without pride in and respect for the source, there can be no value in
relics.

Anyway, I put my childhood illusion up for sale in the "Penny Saver"
and got dozens of replies in the first two days. I sold everything I
had (except for a few pieces that just might come in handy one day) to
one guy whose only dismay was that there were no coins or coin sets
after 1963.

He said he was "really hoping for more of the newer stuff", but I was
glad to trade his fake money for my real money anyway! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Old May 10th 06, 08:50 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

wrote:
The Space Boss wrote:

What year did they make Bronze?! I know they made Steel in 1943...

1944 - 45

You know, the redbook used to show that. My newest one, 2006 I think,
doesn't make that distinction. I remember that they talked about it
being made from recycled cartridge cases for those two years, but I
can't find a current reference. They do seem more "yellow" than "brown"
for those couple years, based on the stacks of 'em that I've got.

The 2007 Redbook shows "bronze" as the material for all years 1909-1981,
except 1943. They do mention the shellcase cents of 1944-1946, but still
call them bronze. Some folks refer to anything with both tin and zinc added
to the copper "brass." Not significant, sez I.

Mr. Jaggers