How are you collecting the new coins from the US Mint

Old May 7th 06, 12:49 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default How are you collecting the new coins from the US Mint

Up to 2004 I would collect them in unc & proof. Now with this
sandblasted finish in the unc sets are you collectiing them as well in
your albums? Are you getting your regular unc. coins from new rolls or
from a dealer? Just wondering what everyone is doing?
Jim

Old May 7th 06, 01:51 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

I collect state quarters from circulation
and that is it.

The US mint just puts out too much
"stuff" these days that I am not interested in or just too expensive.

I got something in the mail yesterday
from the mint with former President
Bush (George the first) promoting some
kind of presidential gold medal thing along with stamps or whatever was

connected with it.

I just briefly glanced at it and pitched it
out.

Old May 7th 06, 02:28 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"jimc" wrote in message
ups.com...
Up to 2004 I would collect them in unc & proof. Now with this
sandblasted finish in the unc sets are you collectiing them as well in
your albums? Are you getting your regular unc. coins from new rolls or
from a dealer? Just wondering what everyone is doing?
Jim

Lately, one each of the classic Mint products-- annual clad & silver proof set,
annual clad & silver state quarter set, mint set. Occasionally, I might order a
proof commem dollar if the design or subject appeals to me. By then, my money
has run out.

I'm not worried about the proposed presidential dollars, first lady gold,
Indian/buffalo gold bullion, SAE's, etc. Can't afford them. I do still have
other traditional collecting interests beyond all the Mint issued stuff. The
Goose -- golden egg thing, IMO.

Bruce

Old May 7th 06, 02:34 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"stonej" wrote in message
ups.com...
I collect state quarters from circulation
and that is it.

The US mint just puts out too much
"stuff" these days that I am not interested in or just too expensive.

I got something in the mail yesterday
from the mint with former President
Bush (George the first) promoting some
kind of presidential gold medal thing along with stamps or whatever was

connected with it.

I just briefly glanced at it and pitched it
out.

I quit collecting from the mint a year or two ago. Like you say,
"The US mint just puts out too much "stuff" these days that I am not
interested in or just too expensive".
The US mint was a financial blackhole for me.

There is an entire world out there with some amazing coins issued during the
last couple
thousand years. Far too many that I like for me to get trapped in
collecting all the
stuff the US mint puts out.

I still buy the occasional commemorative from the US mint but not all that
are offered.

Dale

Old May 7th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

jimc wrote:
Up to 2004 I would collect them in unc & proof. Now with this
sandblasted finish in the unc sets are you collectiing them as well
in your albums? Are you getting your regular unc. coins from new
rolls or from a dealer? Just wondering what everyone is doing?

It sounds like you are asking, "Do you consider the Satin Finish coins
in U.S. Mint sets to be a different variety?"

In other words, should coin albums have five slots for the cent?
(P-Satin, D-Satin, S-Proof, P-Regular, D-Regular)

I personally think the answer is "yes, sort of". The third party
grading companies are marking the Satin Finish coins differently, but
that doesn't prove anything.

Does anybody know if the new Redbook makes a distinction?

--
Jim Seymour
Old May 7th 06, 10:02 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default How are you collecting the new CIRCULATING coins from the US Mint

Hi Jim,
Yes that is what I'm asking (P-Satin, D-Satin, S-Proof, P-Regular,
D-Regular) .
I haven't seen a redbook lately, but I was wondering if that is the way
you are collecting.
Jim

Old May 8th 06, 03:03 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

jimc wrote:
Up to 2004 I would collect them in unc & proof. Now with this
sandblasted finish in the unc sets are you collectiing them as well in
your albums? Are you getting your regular unc. coins from new rolls or
from a dealer? Just wondering what everyone is doing?
Jim

I buy the annual clad quarters proof set. If it tickles my fancy, I'll
pick up the silver commem. For special occasions (new babies,
weddings, and the like) I'll pick up a silver eagle.

About the only coin I'm looking forward to is this year's Double Bison,
and there's no info available from the mint, website, phone calls, or
otherwise.

Jerry

Old May 8th 06, 03:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 7 May 2006 19:03:36 -0700, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

About the only coin I'm looking forward to is this year's Double Bison,
and there's no info available from the mint, website, phone calls, or
otherwise.

Ok, I give. What is it, and where did you hear about it?
Old May 9th 06, 04:32 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Vector wrote:
On 7 May 2006 19:03:36 -0700, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

About the only coin I'm looking forward to is this year's Double Bison,
and there's no info available from the mint, website, phone calls, or
otherwise.

Ok, I give. What is it, and where did you hear about it?

It was part of the Presidental Golden Dollar legislation. Title II, in
the link below, directs the Mint to strike a $50 gold bullion coin
using the Buffalo Dollar designs, with appropriate changes:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...Bf7UVd:e25753:

If anyone's interested, Title III of the link above specifies changing
the cent in 2009.

Jerry

Old May 9th 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

On 8 May 2006 20:32:18 -0700, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

Vector wrote:
On 7 May 2006 19:03:36 -0700, "Jerry Dennis" wrote:

About the only coin I'm looking forward to is this year's Double Bison,
and there's no info available from the mint, website, phone calls, or
otherwise.

Ok, I give. What is it, and where did you hear about it?

It was part of the Presidental Golden Dollar legislation. Title II, in
the link below, directs the Mint to strike a $50 gold bullion coin
using the Buffalo Dollar designs, with appropriate changes:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/...Bf7UVd:e25753:

If anyone's interested, Title III of the link above specifies changing
the cent in 2009.

Jerry

The link doesn't work for me. Opens a page with a request to resubmit
your search.
About the Gold Buffalo coin ... I'd have to decide whether or not I
wanted to limit myself to a single purchase for a half year :