Proof 2005 Oregon quarter doubleD die

Old August 23rd 05, 04:59 AM

Default Proof 2005 Oregon quarter doubleD die

Lest I offend anyone in the ng by repeating my earlier gaff, please
note that the coin in question is now "doubled die."

Received today state quarter proof set (blue) purchased from
kgmathis1itv.

To look at photos with auction, go to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWN%3AIT&rd=1

One of the photographs was taken with a 10x lens. A close examination
of QUARTER DOLLAR will reveal a doubled A and R in DOLLAR from the
Oregon quarter. Closer inspection with 100x microscope (which
unfortunately I cannot currently duplicate) shows minor doubling of all
letters in QUARTER DOLLAR, with slightly more doubling on the AR of
DOLLAR. It also shows doubling on _another_ quarter within the set, but
does not show up well under 10x.

It was my understanding that the US Mint had revised their coin dies
and strikes to eliminate doubled dies. Am I incorrect?

I am opting to keep the set. It is excellent, and looks to my eyes to
grade out about MS69 for all coins in deep cameo condition. That may be
one reason that the apparent doubled die shows up as well.

Should anyone not be able to access the photographs, they show "steps"
on the A and R of DOLLAR in the 2005 Oregon quarter dollar.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old August 23rd 05, 10:23 AM
LM5403

"steps" indicate mechanical damaged doubling. Hub doubling does not appear
as "steps".

oups.com...

Old August 23rd 05, 05:57 PM

LM5403 wrote:
"steps" indicate mechanical damaged doubling. Hub doubling does not appear
as "steps".

Could you explain what you mean. Some of your more outstanding
(non-mechanical) doubled dies have a step appearnace, as if there is a
layering of the device or letters.There is distinct separation at the
serifs. I've recently purchased a DDR Morgan that has doubling and
tripling of all characteristics to the north of the reverse. The
doubling is so distinct that it reminds me of the steps. There is
distinct separation at the serifs of the letters and edges of the
devices. This is the most interesting type of doubling to me, even if
it only arises from die/hub allignment troubles.

Anita

Old August 23rd 05, 06:47 PM

To my magnifying glass-assisted eye, the steps appear most noticably on
the right of the A and R in DOLLAR. To me it looks like a superimposed
letter on top of another letter. This is especially apparent under
100x.

In looking at the quarter in question again, I see doubling in the U,
R, E, R in QUARTER and D, O, A, R in DOLLAR. This is especially true of
the interior spaces of the letters: D, O, R, U.

Serif doubling is not readily apparent under 10x, but is fairly easy to
see under 100x.

It also appears to me, at least, that the mintmark S is doubled under
10x.

Daniel B. Wheeler

Old August 23rd 05, 06:59 PM
LM5403

wrote in message
oups.com...
LM5403 wrote:
"steps" indicate mechanical damaged doubling. Hub doubling does not appear
as "steps".

Could you explain what you mean. Some of your more outstanding
(non-mechanical) doubled dies have a step appearnace, as if there is a
layering of the device or letters.There is distinct separation at the
serifs. I've recently purchased a DDR Morgan that has doubling and
tripling of all characteristics to the north of the reverse. The
doubling is so distinct that it reminds me of the steps. There is
distinct separation at the serifs of the letters and edges of the
devices. This is the most interesting type of doubling to me, even if
it only arises from die/hub allignment troubles.

Anita

Go to http://www.coingalaxy.com/infostart/index.html and click on
Recognizing Doubled Dies. The pictures should make things clearer than I
could explain.

Old August 23rd 05, 07:45 PM

LM5403 wrote:
Go to http://www.coingalaxy.com/infostart/index.html and click on
Recognizing Doubled Dies. The pictures should make things clearer than I
could explain.

It is hard to say in words what these things look like. What people
visualize when we say "shelf," "step," or hill can be different things.
I figured everybody was saying the same things in different words. I
like Daniel's description of having one image superimposed on another
in true doubling. It is like one could peel the upper layer off to find
the same image below.

I bookmarked the site. It has a lot of good coin information. Thanks
for the link.

Anita

Old August 24th 05, 12:21 AM
LM5403

wrote in message
ups.com...
LM5403 wrote:
Go to http://www.coingalaxy.com/infostart/index.html and click on
Recognizing Doubled Dies. The pictures should make things clearer than I
could explain.

It is hard to say in words what these things look like. What people
visualize when we say "shelf," "step," or hill can be different things.
I figured everybody was saying the same things in different words. I
like Daniel's description of having one image superimposed on another
in true doubling. It is like one could peel the upper layer off to find
the same image below.

I bookmarked the site. It has a lot of good coin information. Thanks
for the link.

Anita

You're more than welcome. Most of the information comes from ebay coin chat
regulars from about 3-5 years ago, back when information was freely given
and most of the chatter had to do with coins. I don't think many of them
post there any more. I sure don't.