Any hope?

Old March 5th 04, 03:27 AM
William Bosner

On 4 Mar 2004 11:12:51 -0800, (Shuttermutt)
wrote:

put the nib right? Should I spend the $20 on the Parker 21 that I saw
earlier this week while I send my 51 in for professional repair?

I might go for a third alternative and look for a good 51 that hadn't
been threashed. I haven't been tracking 51 prices lately, but the most
I have ever paid for a 51 is $100USD which was for a NOS pen. If you
really want a 51, someone on the list might be able to set you up with
a very nice pen in good working order for relatively little money. I
have gotten great 51s for $50 or $60

Hope this helps - Willie

Old March 5th 04, 04:48 AM
Shuttermutt

Angela Moak wrote in message news:umP1c.44375$PR3.873554@attbi_s03...
Tim McNamara wrote:

(Shuttermutt) writes:

The second time, while we were moving, she had actually THROWN IT

AWAY thinking it was "just some pen." Holy cow!

Yikes!

I'm writing with my Waterman now, but I sorely miss my Parker 51. I

love my wife to death, but I'm going to have to start keeping my
pens at work!

Well, or educate her about the care and feeding of fountain pens. My
wife doesn't share my pen-obsession, but she does enjoy using fountain
pens.

Educate her about your fountain pens, she doesn't have to appreciate the
obsession or even the enjoyment of them. My husband doesn't get my love
of a fine fountain pen, but he doesn't tounch my pens. We have an
agreement, I don't bother his toys and he won't bother mine. Everyone
is much happier that way. Surely your wife has some near and dear
something, the loss of which would be devastating.

I've also explained that there is absolutely no reason for him to touch
my dressmaking scissors (expecially to cut things like window screen).
Once it was explained, I've seen no attempt to cut oil filters in half
or anything.
--

Regards,

Angela

Oh, don't take me too seriously. It's not as if she has malicious
intent or anything. I was just fortunate to have seen it in the trash
sack. No harm, no foul.

After doing some reading this evening, I did decide to open 'er up and
have a look-see. I felt comfortable with doing so based on the
research I'd done and my high comfort level working with small,
delicate parts (camera repair).

Anyway, I gently coaxed the shell off, cleaned up a little (lukewarm
water only), and re-assembled. It took a little bit to get the nib
aligned, but the pen *appears* to have everything back where it
should.

I don't keep ink here at home so I'll have to tote it to the office
tomorrow, fill it, and see what happens. Assuming all is well, I'll
probably keep writing with it despite the fact I should probably have
it serviced.

Maybe I'll go snag that 21 to have something while my 51 is given the
full spa treatment. Heck, I might even see if anyone's interested in
trading a flawless Waterman Expert (black/gold with box) for a nice 51
(or combination of not-so-nice ones).

It's not that I don't love the heft and look of the Waterman, I just
don't care for how it feels on paper. My $15 gray vac-fill 51 has me
totally spoiled. I've never had a pen I like better... and I want
more! But, I digress. If anyone's interested in such a trade, e-mail
me at shuttermutt (at) yahoo (dot) com

Thanks everyone!

'Mutt
Old March 5th 04, 03:04 PM
DovR

Try and get your 51 fixed, depsendiung where you are there are number of
good pro repairers restores. Joel Hamilton of http://www.ink-pen.com/
and Richard Binder www.Richardspens.com are superb repairers who come
to mind.

Good inexpensive P51 readily available. 21 is a cheap dependable pen. 45
likewise. 51 top of the lot. Vintages of course, 2002 new issue cannot
compare anmd also developed mysterious cracks. Bit like the self
cracking MB's precious resin. That's a brand you would do well to stay
away from unless you need to impress and then you can suffice with the
fake.

However caution the wife not to touch nor discard your toys in the
future and you will not do to hers. OR convert her round to the
obsession.

Old March 5th 04, 04:29 PM
kcat

On Thu, 04 Mar 2004 23:56:10 GMT, Angela Moak
wrote:

I've also explained that there is absolutely no reason for him to touch
my dressmaking scissors (expecially to cut things like window screen).
Once it was explained, I've seen no attempt to cut oil filters in half
or anything.

when I bought my first "expensive" pair of Ginghers I put a label on
the box that instructed that my daughter and husband could not touch
them upon threat of 50 lashes with a wet noodle. It made the point.
They never did until I *allowed* daughter to use them on a sewing
project.

we talk a lot on the pen groups about certain materials you can use to
smooth or alter nibs and don't always consider that paper will do so
to some extent (over the long haul.) I had not put much stock in that
myself until just now thinking about these scissors and the fact that
the quickest way to dull them is to cut paper with them.
Old March 6th 04, 12:32 AM
Angela Moak

Bluesea wrote:

Angela, are you aware that you didn't post in plain text?

Nope, I wasn't. My apologies, must be the loose nut on the keyboard my
husband keeps telling me about.

--
Regards,

Angela

Remove "not" from address to reply.

Old March 6th 04, 01:57 AM
Shuttermutt

LL wrote:

The shell does not "pull", it unscrews. I will try to remember to look
for my copy of the PCA repair book and e-mail you the appropriate
pages about how to line up the nib with the tip of the shell, so that
it looks correct.

Best,
LL

When I said "pull", it was figuratively, not literally. I unscrewed it. g

'Mutt

Jayne Brook - Chicago Hope [email protected] Autographs 0 August 18th 04 12:06 AM
R.I.P Hope Lange Bjwebb3749 Autographs 0 December 22nd 03 07:22 PM
Bob Hope In-person question JHNJB Autographs 8 August 2nd 03 10:53 PM
RIP Bob Hope Bjwebb3749 Autographs 6 July 29th 03 12:36 AM
Bob Hope Died Today Rich Autographs 0 July 28th 03 02:49 PM