is there a perfect notebook or journal for FPs?

Old February 4th 04, 07:33 PM
PalmUser

Default is there a perfect notebook or journal for FPs?

I've googled until I'm Florida Blue in the face, looking for a
recommendation for a journal or notebook (not larger than 8.5 X 11 inches or
so) with paper that will not feather (PR ink) or show through significantly,
preferably bound so that it will lay flat. (I use an XF usually, BTW, with
very dark green ink.)

What's the consensus (assuming there could ever be one) on this requirement?
Thanks,
PU

Old February 5th 04, 12:51 AM
Bluesea

"PalmUser" wrote in message
I've googled until I'm Florida Blue in the face, looking for a
recommendation for a journal or notebook (not larger than 8.5 X 11 inches

or
so) with paper that will not feather (PR ink) or show through

significantly,
preferably bound so that it will lay flat. (I use an XF usually, BTW, with
very dark green ink.)

What's the consensus (assuming there could ever be one) on this

requirement?
Thanks,
PU

Heh. Perfect is subjective just like w/ pens. Since you write with an XF, I
don't think you'll have as much trouble finding a journal that you like as
would someone who uses a broader nib that lays down more ink. For me, the
perfect journal is bound, refillable, with white paper, lined or useable w/
a guide, and smaller than you described.

My last non-refillable journal was purchased off the shelf at Waldenbooks.
It's Paperblanks, published by Hartley & Marks, 128 pp., 7"x9",
lined, ivory pages, hand-stitched binding, $15.95 in U.S.A, $22.95 in
Canada, ISBN 1-55156-218-9. I really like this journal and but for it's
ivory pages, might have purchased another. I used my fine Namiki Falcon or
fine Pilot Ecrinos w/ black Quink, Skrip, or Private Reserve; blue and red
Quink or Skrip, green Quink, pink and purple Skrip, and black, blue-black,
green, turquoise, or violet Pelikan as well as black, blue, green,
turquoise, and purple Fisher Space ball points and Pentel Hybrid gels (also
red in the Pentel gel). I tried and did not like the med. Sheaffer Viewpoint
w/ black Skrip or the med. Fisher Space purple ball point with this journal.

(In case you're wondering, I switch colors when I change dates to make
searching back easier.)

I really want white pages and a journal that's refillable so switched to the
Oberon (www.oberondesign.com) journals which are nice enough
to use w/o a cover (Oberon has great cover designs.). I get 2 refills (each
220 pp.) for $15.99 at www.daytimer.com, product # 82970. Day-Timer carries
only the small and large sizes so, for the measurements you indicated,
you'll have to go to the Oberon site and check out the extra-large. Here are
my results w/ the various pens and inks that I've tried so far:

NONE TO EXTREMELY SLIGHT SHOW-THROUGH (from the second side
of the paper, it appears as though the first side wasn't written upon or
there's an occasional faint shadow - all entirely acceptable):
Fine Pilot Ecrino w/ black Private Reserve, red Pilot ink
Fine Namiki Falcon w/ black Quink
Med. Parker Reflex w/ green Pelikan ink
Fine Fisher Space ballpoint - black, green
Med. Fisher Space ballpoint - black, blue, turquoise
Fine Pentel Hybrid gel - black, blue, red, green, purple
..7 Parker gel - black ink

SOME SHOW-THROUGH (too much for my taste) :
Fine Namiki Falcon w/ turquoise Pelikan ink
Med. Namiki Falcon w/ turquoise A&W ink (this also feathers and nearly
bleeds-through in spots)
Med. Pilot Ecrino w/ black Private Reserve, blue Pilot ink
Med. Sheaffer Viewpoint w/ black Skrip ink

GROSS SHOW-THROUGH (totally unacceptable):
Med. Parker Reflex w/ violet or turquoise Pelikan ink (also some
bleed-through)
Med. Fisher Space ballpoint - red, purple

SOME BLEED-THROUGH (ink leaks through to the other side of the paper - ick):
Med. Parker Reflex w/ violet or turquoise Pelikan ink (both also gross
show-through)
Micro Uni-ball Vision w/ black ink

Because of individual writing pens/inks/habits, etc., YMMV.

HTH.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old February 5th 04, 02:12 AM
PGBarto

browse dickblick.com
don't be afraid to look at sketch books
Old February 5th 04, 02:36 AM
John DiClemente

Clairfontaine journal #79546. 6" X 8.5", ruled, sewn pages, black cover.
Get it from Pendemonium.

Old February 5th 04, 06:26 AM
C.

This isn't fancy, but the Blueline A796.01Record has a hard bound black
cover, 200 8 1/2" by 11" lined and numbered pages, with good quality
white paper that has never bled with any FP I use. It also has a nice
margin. However, it does looks very conservative. I have kept my daily
personal journal in these books for years, and I think they have a kind
of austere, quiet dignity about them when lined up on my shelves. I also
use the Blueline A777200.01 Record for my daily professional journal. It
is the same thing, but in 8 1/2 " by 14 " size, (legal format). It just
helps me quickly tell my books apart. Both these books will lie very
flat. I buy them at Staples or Office Depot.

The habit of bound, numbered pages came with my keeping notes that were
acceptable to courts. When presenting notes in court, it has to be
obvious in this country that they are not altered in any way, and were
taken at the time of the event or shortly thereafter. Numbered pages and
binding are the accepted standard for demonstrating this here.

C.

Old February 5th 04, 08:24 AM
so what

Levenger is closing out some Clairfontaine Silk Journals, 9.95 each (plus
ridiculous shipping, of course).
Oh, and the only ones they have left are ORANGE (wasn't it nice of me to leave
some for others?)!

satrap
embrace orange

Old February 6th 04, 01:19 AM
Lowell

Ah, good to see someone else had the same idea. Which sketch books, you can
get alot of what you're looking for. Don't know how far they go, but on the
west coast there's a place called Aaron Brothers art store (I'm sure
whereever you are, there are art stores, obviously). With the sketch books,
you'll tend to get a slightly heavier weight paper -- and it varies from
type to type as to how heavy you want it to go. You can also try one that
are bound at the top or at the side. They are, obviously, line-less. But
they are really nice. They are designed to work well with ink/paint and no
run, bleed or otherwise look really crappy when you run a pen over it.

Some of them may not have fancy covers. But you can always look at different
portfolio covers and journal covers at stationery/writing stores (or even
Barnes & Noble). That will spruce it up. Try something that zips completely
closed and you suddenly have a place for a pen, "journal" and who knows what
else. Your own personal writing kit.

Okay, I'm rambling on and likely not saying anything all the experts know.
But I figure there might be some newbies (like me) roaming around the list
and might want to hear.

Thanks all! I enjoy reading everything you have to say about pens and all
the accessories. I'm trying to absorb it like a sponge.

-Lowell

Old February 6th 04, 01:37 AM
PGBarto

my current favorites
http://www.dickblick.com/zz118/05/pr...m=0&ig_id=5395
non-standard colors, non-bleed through paper, elastic band and ON SALE