Store pens horizontally or vertically?

Old November 12th 04, 01:24 AM
BL

... this [leaking due to heat transfer]
apparently happens a good bit with old
eyedroppers and pens with sacs. ...

Actually, pens with sacs are less susceptible to this than pens without
sacs (e.g., eye droppers, vacumatics, vac plunger fillers, piston
fillers) because the air between sac and barrel serves as insulation.

Old sac pens of various types (crescent fillers, coin fillers, hatchet
fillers, twist fillers, sleeve fillers, lever fillers, etc.) should not
leak. If you have one that does, there's something wrong with the pen.
Leaking is not something you should expect an old pen (especially one
with a sac) to do. -- Bernadette

Old November 12th 04, 08:01 PM
KCat

"BL" wrote in message

... this [leaking due to heat transfer]
apparently happens a good bit with old
eyedroppers and pens with sacs. ...

Actually, pens with sacs are less susceptible to this than pens without
sacs (e.g., eye droppers, vacumatics, vac plunger fillers, piston
fillers) because the air between sac and barrel serves as insulation.

specifically I meant sacs that were too large. Some people put bigger sacs
in vintage pens than is proper, you get sac to barrel contact and end up
with the heat leak problem. At least so I've been told by the expert
restorers on this group and others. I've never actually experience it
myself and i use the pen sac sizes for restorations that have been
recommended by the more knowledgeable folks.

Old November 12th 04, 08:46 PM
BL

KCat wrote:

specifically I meant sacs that were too large.
Some people put bigger sacs in vintage pens than
is proper, you get sac to barrel contact and end
up with the heat leak problem....

Sac to barrel contact is the problem (i.e., no insulating air space
between barrel and ink chamber). Modern sac fillers can leak and blot
for the same reason. --- B

Old November 14th 04, 11:23 AM
Earl Camembert

On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 16:15:27 GMT, "KCat" wrote:

"Ada Ma" wrote in message

Is it an eyedropper? I have one waterman dripping all over the place

while I
did nothing but held it in my hand and try to write something. I'd tried
putting in less ink, heated it up in my hand while point the nib upward

before I
start writing, nothing helps.

that's because your hand is heating the air inside - not the ink (at least
not significantly) as the warming air expands it pushes the ink out.

this apparently happens a good bit with old eyedroppers and pens with sacs.
Pens that do this I think typically have thinner barrel material. I've
heard that if the wrong size sac (too large) is used in some pens, heat
transfer from hand to air in the sac will be more readily facilitated and
cause this problem, too.

---

KCat

For Pen Talk, Images, Trading and Reviews: The Fountain Pen Network
http://pagesperso.laposte.net/fpnet

For Lupus Support and Info
http://www.ghg.net/schwerpt/ASLFAQ/

I do put in the biggest sack, could be a mistake.
Old November 14th 04, 05:42 PM
BL

Earl Camembert wrote:

I have had old Parker pens form the twenties
leak from heat by being kept in my pocket.

Ada wrote:
Is it an eyedropper....

Earl wrote:
No a Duofold big red.

I have a ton of flat-top and streamline juniors from the 20s and early
30s. Not one of them leaks as you describe. There's something wrong with
yours... either the sacs are too big or the nibs/feeds aren't set
properly. -- B