Speaking of Noodler's ink: my own ink tests

Old September 4th 04, 08:58 PM
Scaupaug1

Take ANY of the Noodler's permanent colors (black, contract, eternal inks) and
put them up against ANY other fountain pen inks using the full range of
solvents and detergents. Better still, use all the auto cleaners/engine
cleaners and you'll see that Noodler's permanent colors beat pencils too
(although pencils can be simply erased anyway, they do hold up to bleach - I'll
grant them that!). Note also that: a laser printer can have all its ink
removed by heating the page with a lightbulb and using a simple magnet, acetone
removes ball pen ink before your eyes in seconds and marker in minutes (and
often alcohols too), UV light wands can knock out most permanent rollerball
inks (except noodler's in a kaweco sport), coated fountain pen inks (hairspray,
waxes, oils, etc..) can be removed from a check in under a minute by first
using acetone and secondly using a carpet cleaner that does not destroy the
water mark, white documents written with fountain pen ink can have the writing
lifted within seconds to minutes with simple household bleach......but
Noodler's permanent colors are resistant to ALL of these tools of the forger.
In addition, note their archival quality, PH etc...in Grek Clark's sampler....
To remove Noodler's permanent colors with a UV light wand a forger has to
increase the power to the point of BURNING THE DOCUMENT before Noodler's gives
way!

Also keep in mind that if Aurora black (the ink many people used as a benchmark
last year) were in the 3 fluid oz./90ml Noodler's bottle it would retail for
$20 to $22 per bottle at current prices! This for a black ink that dissolves
before your eyes in the face of bleach (try it, you'll see)! Compare the costs
per volume to Noodler's. It's a no brainer... Noodler's is about 90ml per
bottle - so factor in the higher volume whenever you compare prices. Note also
that the bottles are chronically overfilled a little beyond 90 ml just to
enhance the value comparison beyond the label! (there is nothing wrong with
overfilling a bottle beyond its labeled quantity)

Now if you are still not convinced...perhaps you can make it to the New York
Pen Show. There are going to be a couple editions of sample bottles at the
show for you to try out, limited to 200 units on the "NY,NY"
edition....basically - simply show up in New York and you can try out free
small samples while supplies last. Go to the lavatory and soak, wash, etc...a
document - you'll see what this ink can do beyond pencils, other fountain pen
inks, ball pen inks, "permanent" markers, rollerballs, etc....and if you fill a
visuated chamber pen such as a plunger or Pelikan piston filler...watch how
much easier it is to clean the ink from your pen too vrs. other inks!!!

This ink was made to defend fountain pens against worry and fear related to
identity and forger thieves...as well as recycled paper difficulties. To the
greatest extent possible it will continue to do so - and if the forgers ever
find a hole in the ink's protective walls I'm going to see the hole plugged
ASAP. Using a fountain pen should be a joy and not a risk or worry! Let the
ball point pen users now worry about acetone and alcohol...as they are now far
more vulnerable.
Old September 4th 04, 11:28 PM
Bluesea

"R. Paul Martin" wrote in message
I've been doing ink tests for decades. I'm less interested in
envelopes not getting smeared than I am in the things I write not
going away due to age or accident. So I was very interested in the
Noodler's ink. Here are the results of some ink tests I did with some
ordinary inks and Noodler's. For some years I had resigned myself to
the fact that the BIC stick pens had the most resistant ink for every
day use. So that's what my checks were made out with. The Parker
ballpoint refills were about the same. I also tested something new
from BIC.

Here are my results:

snip

Have you tested the Pentel Hybrid Gel that's archival quality? It's a
relatively inexpensive stick pen that was waterproof for me nearly two years
ago, but I haven't tested it using anything else.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 6th 04, 04:25 AM
Free Citizen

I have always thought that the BP is the most full proof of all pen types
because of its resistance to water. But now you have dispelled that. I will
never buy another BP. Looks like your Permanent colours is the answer to
all our doubts. You should really go big time. I am sure some investor will
be very interested.

--
Best regards,
Free Citizen

[snip]

Old September 6th 04, 10:00 AM
R. Paul Martin

On Sat, 4 Sep 2004 14:00:37 +0800, "Free Citizen"
wrote:

So does that mean Noodler's secret is carbon?

I don't think so. I haven't seen any solids in it at all. Of course I
have no idea of what the secret is. I'm just content to have finally
found a fountain pen ink I can trust to do this.
Old September 6th 04, 10:04 AM
R. Paul Martin

On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:28:38 GMT, "Bluesea"

Have you tested the Pentel Hybrid Gel that's archival quality? It's a
relatively inexpensive stick pen that was waterproof for me nearly two years
ago, but I haven't tested it using anything else.

No, I haven't tried it. I've been steering clear of gel pens. They're
relatively expensive, given that they don't last all that long, and I
associate them with kids playing around with funny colors. Maybe I
should try that one though. I don't think it's going to replace
Noodler's Black for me though.
Old September 6th 04, 08:54 PM
Bluesea

"R. Paul Martin" wrote in message
On Sat, 04 Sep 2004 22:28:38 GMT, "Bluesea"
Have you tested the Pentel Hybrid Gel that's archival quality? It's a
relatively inexpensive stick pen that was waterproof for me nearly two

years
ago, but I haven't tested it using anything else.

No, I haven't tried it. I've been steering clear of gel pens. They're
relatively expensive, given that they don't last all that long, and I
associate them with kids playing around with funny colors. Maybe I
should try that one though. I don't think it's going to replace
Noodler's Black for me though.

Yes, I've found that I can write with Noodler's Black where I used to use
only the Pentel gel and anticipate that it'll be a long time before I buy
another after my existing pens are gone, like the rbs.

--
~~Bluesea~~

Old September 14th 04, 04:17 AM
Chuck Swisher

Fred wrote:

Was there ever a time when you sold the waterproof black under the
Swisher's label? I bought a bottle back when the Contract Blue was in
very limited stock, and I thought the black was relabeled waterproof
black. Not that I'm unhappy at all, but I just want to be sure what I
have in the bottle.

Yes, when we first started selling the Noodler's inks they were all sold
under the "Swisher Pens" label. When Nathan told me that he had discovered
some new components that we could use in making our own inks that were made
with a different formula than Noodler's we accepted his offer. We had
originally intended to use this ink for advertising purposes (free bottle
when you buy a Swisher Exclusive, etc.) but have since found it to be an
excellent ink for left handed writers as it dries almost instantaneously
when applied to certain types of paper. We had orginally intended it
primarily for use with Vellum, Pure Cotton and Linen papers, but found that
there are only some papers that it will feather. In my opinion, Nathan has
made us an excellent ink and we are getting a lot of positive feedback on
it. We just received 3 more prototypes for an orange, brown and burgundy.
We will probably only add two more colors to our line of inks, one will
hopefully be a blue-black and the other is still up for grabs (anything but
blue, as we already have 3 blues and a blue-black would make 4). One final
way to test the regular Noodler's Black from ours is to put some on a piece
of paper, let it dry for a few minutes and then run it under water. If
nothing happens, it's Noodler's. If it turns a lighter shade of black, it's
ours ;-)

Best wishes,

Chuck Swisher -

Swisher Pens, Inc. -
www.swisherpens.com

Tele: (757) 471-7445, TF: 1-888-340-7367, Fax: (757) 925-2787