Dremel on pens?

Old January 7th 04, 04:35 PM
kcat

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 09:33:38 -0500, "BLandolf"
wrote:

And before resorting to destructive methods (e.g., regrinding with
anything, including mylar), make sure the problem isn't misaligned
tines.

nodding

for me, I was referring not to nib repair but nib grinding for the
purpose of using something other than a ball-tipped FP.

It doesn't take much misalignment to cause a lot of scratchiness.
And if you must resort to sanding, examine the point under magnification
to identify the source of the problem, and then correct the source of
the problem... don't just willy nilly sand the nib by making figure 8s.

now ya tell me! Just kidding - though I did make an interesting Hero
nib this way. It looks horrible and by all accounts should not write
- but writes beautifully and smoothly. But I won't do that again.

When in doubt (esp. if the pen in question is a nice old vintage pen),
send it to a professional and let them do the work. end of rant B

not a rant at all - very good advice. The only nib work I've done has
been on inexpensive nibs that I knew were easily replaced if need be.
I have "smoothed" a number of nibs with no ill effects but only after
a learning curve. I have yet to do anything with gold nibs except the
very minor process of taking the "baby bottom" off of a 14K nib. I
would leave any stubbing of gold nibs to the nib gurus.

I have had a couple of alignment problems and I know this is quoted
most as the most common cause of scratchy nibs. but thus far it
hasn't been my experience. Instead the most common problem I've seen
has been that the inner surface of one or both tines was too sharp or
had a burr. fixing that is a simple process (with the right tools and
knowhow) but it's not the same as an alignment problem.

I do have one pen that has an alignment problem that I seem unable to
fix in the typical fashion. The nib is 18K and seems very delicate
with rather small amount of tipping. so off to the guru it goes.
Old January 8th 04, 03:50 AM
JimL

If you have a new Dremel toy and are just anxious to find a use for
it, try this:

A couple of years ago the news outlets carried the story of some man
who used a Dremel tool to make his own tooth replacement, more than a
cap. He went out to his driveway, searched for the right size of a
piece of gravel, shaped it with his Dremel, and super-glued it on top
of his broken stub of a tooth.

I didn't hear how long it lasted, but he got a lot of publicity and
radio talk show interviews.
Old January 8th 04, 04:01 AM
Paul G

I can't spell at 11pm
Unpolished video tape like that found in a VCR head cleaning tape is amazing
stuff.
Doesn't feel like much is coming off, but it polishes like a dream.

Good luck,
Pelikanyo Paul

"kcat" wrote in message
On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 23:26:22 -0500, "Paul G" wrote:

one work.....MYLAR

two worDs - Lapping Film (which I think in some cases but not all,
lapping film is mylar)

I mentioned this in another response above. :-)

Old January 8th 04, 07:36 PM
kcat

On Wed, 7 Jan 2004 23:01:15 -0500, "Paul G" wrote:

I can't spell at 11pm
Unpolished video tape like that found in a VCR head cleaning tape is amazing
stuff.

hmm... makes absolute sense. and probably a similar material.

Doesn't feel like much is coming off, but it polishes like a dream.

I'll have to give it a try sometime - if I ever have to toss the
cleaning tape.
Old February 17th 04, 01:31 PM
Marten van de Kraats

Anyone know which ink clogs the least and has the best flow, even when
the pen has not been used for a while? I mainly use parker vacumatics.

Greetings,

Marten van de Kraats
Old February 17th 04, 03:58 PM
ElaineP

For Parker Vacumatics you not only want low clog and good flow, you want
minimal staining. I use Waterman, Sheaffer and Aurora and stay away from
reds and purples. They're my "black ink pens". Quink would be good too, but
I don't like the colors.

Elaine