Waterman fountainpen preferences

Old November 27th 03, 01:15 PM
QuarterHorseman

On my bottle, several years old, the ingredients listed a

isopropanol, grease cutter, surfactants [,] and fragrance.
Old November 27th 03, 04:15 PM
Leonard Levy

I have the Expert II, medium nib, and like it very much. I use it with a
converter, so that I can use Penman blue in it, and it's a very smooth
writer. Having written that, it's not an every day writer because it is
too bulky to keep in my shirt pocket. If that is not an issue, then go
for it.

Enjoy whatever pen you get.

LL

BC wrote:
Hi there,

After not being completely happy with a Sheaffer intrigue, i've decided to
return it and get myself a waterman. The ones i am looking at are either the
expert, expert 2000 or hemisphere. I think I'm leaning towards the expert.

Has anyone got any advice or experiences with these pens (good or bad)?
Also, what are the major differences between the expert and expert 2000?

The final thing is, having looked at fountainpenhospital.com and joon.com,
it seems to be much, much cheaper for me to buy from there and pay the
shipping, than it is to buy from a shop here in Australia (i think fph had
an expert for $96 USD + $20 shipping, whereas in Australia i would pay
about $240 US. Are there any other sites you may know of that would ship to
Australia that have good prices?

Cheers

BC

Old November 27th 03, 08:52 PM
johaikey

BC

Go to ebay and look up Speerbob. His site is great and you can get
Experts or my personal favorite Preface. He is easy to deal with and
you can't go wrong.

JOH

Old November 27th 03, 09:01 PM
BC

Hi Satrap,

I just looked at the websites. Swisher will ship overseas but they didn't
have any experts listed. The others i looked at either didn't have experts
or only said they shipped within the states. I checked out penspens on ebay
and they had some well priced carennes - going for $109 which seems pretty
cheap. I haven't really looked at the carennes before though.

So i guess my search has broadened now to either the experts, charleston and
now carennes - all for similar prices. I guess it will be a tough choice but
i gather whichever way i go i will be happy with the result.

Cheers

BC

"so what" wrote in message
BC, did you email the places we suggested, and ask whether they ship

overseas?

Other suggestions for about $100 USD or less:

rOtring Core (it's ugly-cute, and strong as an ox, AND about $25.00)

Waterman Hemisphere
Waterman Phileas
Cross ATX
Cross Townsend
Cross Century

Make sure you also check the clearance sales of the websites, as sometimes

you
can get a great deal on the more expensive pens.

delete what doesn't belong there

Satrap
I find delusions of grandeur to be absolutely true

Old November 28th 03, 01:17 AM
PalmUser

I've got a Charleston, fine nib (all the Waterman nibs are bigger than I'd
like, typically, even the fine writes more like most mediums. . .), and the
only complaint I have is that the pen is so heavy. . .vintage pens are so
much lighter and I can write longer with them without cramps. . .
PU

u...

Old November 28th 03, 05:00 AM
so what

guess it will be a tough choice

Choice? BC, dearest, don't make any choices. shop like we women shop: buy 'em
all, it's a SALE!!!

Ok, well, pick two of them for now.

satrap
This old thing? Oh, Honey, you were with me when I bought it *months* ago.
Don't you remember?
Old November 28th 03, 05:08 AM
DovR

http://www.stores.ebay.com/speerbob

Speerbob, good decent seller. Has much in Waterman. Seems to buy stock lots
for sale so you can get bargains from him.

I checked that German outfit mentioned previously. Regular prices even by
fleabay standards so what's all the excitement about. BTW Levengers outlet
in Delray Beach Fl often have very good deals. Though lately quite a lot of
flack on some threads. Managed to visit the store when I was in Fl and it is
awesome. Fortunately had a great pen guide and mentor in Giovanni of
Abratte. The sales personnel were deferential to him and came to ask him
all sorts of pen related questions. Consequently I landed some incredible
bargains.

t...