Dang it! It always happens!

Old January 22nd 06, 12:31 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Default Dang it! It always happens!

Many that post and have read rcc for a long time will know that I collect
Austrian coins tokens and medals.
Like many that specialize in any collecting category, I fixated on it for a
long time (6 years so far). And of course probably bored
my audience on rcc to tears with my particular interest :-) Presently I
have the vast majority of Austrian coins
since 1892 (with very many earlier too) that can be acquired easily and some
very few that cost a buttload :-)

I am not finished with Austria yet by a long shot and certainly haven't lost
any of my interest, I still love that area,
BUT it has reached the point that the significant acquisitions I can add to
my collection are coming
farther and farther and farther........and farther, wait a min, and one
more, and farther apart. It always happens to any collector in any
collecting area if only they collect long enough.

So meanwhile what is a collector to do? I am not happy with an addition to
my collection once a month and never will be even if the coin is a very
nice one and even if I have to resort to collecting really cheap stuff in
the interim! Cheap stuff I mostly like by the way. Remind me to show my
Chuck E Cheese token collection sometime.

I haven't a clue as to what area I may next get interested in but my long
time Washington quarter
got a interesting addition tonight. I purchased a 1935-p Uncirculated
Washington Quarter. First US coin I have purchased (I think) in
about two years. Hopefully it will arrive next week. It will be my
earliest unc Washington quarter in my collection (this go round anyway).

What do you collect when you can't collect in your main area of interest?

Dale

Old January 22nd 06, 12:46 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
[...]

Pick a collecting field that requires you to do lots of reading and
research. Hard Times tokens, Civil War store cards, Canadian Colonial
tokens, and hacienda tokens of South America all come to mind. You'd be
amazed at the breadth and depth of scholarship in any of those areas.

Mr. Jaggers

Old January 22nd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

Dale Hallmark wrote:
[...]

If only I could figure what my main area of interest is! :-)

I suppose my main area is my type set, but I had trouble affording
certain issues at one point and then started doing an MS franklin set
(64 or better, good strike, don't care about actual FBL's though.)
Got that completed, still cpildn't get too many more pieces for my type
set, and started an MS Jefferson set. Again, good strike required, but
not worried about an actual FS designation.

I think I'll be moving on to older US currency soon. I don't htink the
expensive issues are going to be coming down soon. :-(

--
dw

Old January 22nd 06, 12:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"linxlvr" wrote in message
Dale Hallmark wrote:
What do you collect when you can't collect in your main area of interest?

Dale

If only I could figure what my main area of interest is! :-)
dw

Don't I know what that is like!

Dale

Old January 22nd 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
Many that post and have read rcc for a long time will know that I collect
Austrian coins tokens and medals.

What do you collect when you can't collect in your main area of interest?

Dale

Well, every time I read one of your posts, I think you're one of those
*rare* U.S. folk who collect Australian coins...

You *could* go there, but I'd advise against it - even though it would be
kind of neat, alphabetically at least.

--
Jeff R.
(in Sydney, AustrALia)

Old January 22nd 06, 01:24 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

[...]

That is one of the reasons I choose Austrian coins tokens and medals to
start with.
There is literature on the coins but very little to zip on the medals and
tokens.
Unfortunately they don't come up on eBay as often as I would like. And I
can discover very little about them (living in Texas) but enough to keep me
interested.

My Austrian medal collection is large enough that I can't pick it up :in one
piece now.

Might attempt a Spanish 2-R collection someday. I like that time frame
and the coins are really neat.

Dale

Old January 22nd 06, 01:26 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Jeff R" wrote in message
u...

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
Many that post and have read rcc for a long time will know that I collect
Austrian coins tokens and medals.

What do you collect when you can't collect in your main area of interest?

Dale

Well, every time I read one of your posts, I think you're one of those
*rare* U.S. folk who collect Australian coins...

You *could* go there, but I'd advise against it - even though it would be
kind of neat, alphabetically at least.

--
Jeff R.
(in Sydney, AustrALia)

I have some Australian coins and the windmill is a neat coin and I like many
of the little coppers.
I do tend to gravitate to the lesser know areas so the coins aren't as
interesting as the early tokens.

Dale

Old January 22nd 06, 01:41 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
What do you collect when you can't collect in your main area of interest?

Dale

Numistatic books and US obsolete currency.

I recently picked up a couple books to read. "The Mint on Carson Street" is
a history of the Carson City mint and the area around it and "The Lincoln
Mint 890-1279" about an English mint of Anglo-Saxon, Norman and other
hammered coins. (Actually, books seem to be becoming my main area of
interest. 8-))

I also picked up a couple notes that I need to get put up on my web site.

http://home.att.net/~brianblackwell/obsolete.htm

Old January 22nd 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"Brian Blackwell" wrote in message

"Dale Hallmark" wrote in message
What do you collect when you can't collect in your main area of interest?

Dale

Numistatic books and US obsolete currency.

I recently picked up a couple books to read. "The Mint on Carson Street"
is a history of the Carson City mint and the area around it and "The
Lincoln Mint 890-1279" about an English mint of Anglo-Saxon, Norman and
other hammered coins. (Actually, books seem to be becoming my main area of
interest. 8-))

I also picked up a couple notes that I need to get put up on my web site.

http://home.att.net/~brianblackwell/obsolete.htm

Have you seen this website?
http://dmla.clan.lib.nv.us/docs/museums/cc/carson.htm
They still issue about 5 or 6 medals every year. I have long wanted to
explore that.

Numismatic books....
I have presently 27 books and a video, not counting the 16 Redbooks and the
18 or so related (but not directly numismatic) books.

As for obsolete notes....I would rather not get into US stuff. The prices
are a total turn off.
This is my hobby and passion, not my investment retirement fund.
Notes...I would love to trade modern (common) world notes with fellow
rcc'ers.

Dale

Old January 22nd 06, 01:54 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins

"e" wrote in message
. ..
In article , "Mr. Jaggers"
lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:

[...]

what the heck is a hacienda token. no wait, don't tell me.
hello, google?

If you want to collect hacienda tokens then I also suggest collecting
Mexican marriage tokens.
A very fascinating area.

Dale