Man attempts to hand over fake coins at Ann Arbor coin show

Old October 30th 09, 09:15 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Arizona Coin Collector

Default Man attempts to hand over fake coins at Ann Arbor coin show

Hello

The guy is driving a BMW with Arizona plates!

FROM:
http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/m...bor-coin-show/

Man attempts to hand over fake coins at Ann Arbor coin show

Ann Arbor police say they're working to identify
a man who attempted to pass fake coins during the
49th Suburban Detroit Coin Show at a hotel on
Plymouth Road Thursday.

The man cut a deal to trade thousands of dollars
worth of gold coins in exchange for platinum coins
and cash at about 1 p.m., an Ann Arbor police
report said.

After showing the gold coins, he attempted to
hand over a pouch full of "apparent fakes" during
the transaction, the report said. He hurried out
of the Holiday Inn when a man confronted him
about it, according to the report.

The man was described as black, in his 40s, 6
feet tall and 220 pounds. He was wearing a
baseball cap and tinted glasses. He drove away
in a black BMW with tinted windows and an
Arizona license plate, the report said.

Anyone with information can call Ann Arbor
police at (734) 794-6939.

Old October 30th 09, 09:39 PM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
Hello

The guy is driving a BMW with Arizona plates!

FROM:
http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/m...bor-coin-show/

Man attempts to hand over fake coins at Ann Arbor coin show

Ann Arbor police say they're working to identify
a man who attempted to pass fake coins during the
49th Suburban Detroit Coin Show at a hotel on
Plymouth Road Thursday.

Is it a crime to "attempt" to pass a fake coin? One time I offered a coin
that I believed to be genuine to a dealer at a show, and he informed me that
it was a fake. I'm lucky, though, because I'm white, and I look honest.

The man cut a deal to trade thousands of dollars
worth of gold coins in exchange for platinum coins
and cash at about 1 p.m., an Ann Arbor police
report said.

He "cut a deal" before "showing" the coins?

After showing the gold coins, he attempted to
hand over a pouch full of "apparent fakes" during
the transaction, the report said.

Were the gold coins that he "showed" the same coins that he was offering as
part or all of the exchange? Were the "apparent fake" coins in the pouch
some of the coins that he "showed", all of the coins that he "showed", or in
addition to the coins he "showed"?

He hurried out
of the Holiday Inn when a man confronted him
about it, according to the report.

Was "the man who confronted him" the dealer with whom he cut the deal,
another dealer, or another show attendee? Do we know that the suspect
hurried out of the Holiday Inn as the result of this confrontation, or just
subsequent to it?

The man was described as black, in his 40s, 6
feet tall and 220 pounds. He was wearing a
baseball cap and tinted glasses. He drove away
in a black BMW with tinted windows and an
Arizona license plate, the report said.

Described by whom?

What we have here is journalism at its worst.

Jimmy Olson, Cub Reporter
The Daily Planet
(no relation whatsoever to rcc's oly)

Old October 31st 09, 02:06 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
The Giant Brain

The man was described as black, in his 40s, 6
feet tall and 220 pounds. He was wearing a
baseball cap and tinted glasses. He drove away
in a black BMW with tinted windows and an
Arizona license plate, the report said.

Described by whom?

By someone in the next county perhaps?
Obviously he was described by someone at the scene, who it was is unimportant.
I applaud the paper for not knuckling under to the PC mavens and actually
describing a thief as being a negro.
Usually they go to extremes to NOT mention the fact, even when it's obvious.
Certainly a culprit's race is an essential part of an accurate description!

Old October 31st 09, 02:57 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mr. Jaggers

The Giant Brain wrote:
The man was described as black, in his 40s, 6
feet tall and 220 pounds. He was wearing a
baseball cap and tinted glasses. He drove away
in a black BMW with tinted windows and an
Arizona license plate, the report said.

Described by whom?

By someone in the next county perhaps?
Obviously he was described by someone at the scene, who it was is
unimportant. I applaud the paper for not knuckling under to the PC
mavens and actually describing a thief as being a negro.
Usually they go to extremes to NOT mention the fact, even when it's
obvious. Certainly a culprit's race is an essential part of an
accurate description!

It sure sounds to me as if there were at least three "witnesses", seeing as
how the information would likely have to have been gathered from several
vantage points - one inside the show, one in the hotel lobby, one in the
parking lot. Testimony is regularly made up long after the fact.

"What were you thinking at the moment of the armed robbery, Sir?"
"Well, I was thinking of my wife and family back home in North Lugburz, as
well as my wealthy, elderly aunt (pronounced "ont", of course) and wondering
if they were safe. This was just terrible! But I did have the presence of
mind to note that the suspect's armpits were wet when his jacket flew open
momentarily, and that he hadn't buffed his shoes or trimmed his nails in,
probably, two days."

James the Perspicacious

Old October 31st 09, 03:09 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
[email protected]

In article , "Mr. Jaggers" lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com wrote:
Arizona Coin Collector wrote:
Hello

The guy is driving a BMW with Arizona plates!

FROM:

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/m...e-coins-at-ann
-arbor-coin-show/

[...]

good journalism, jimmy! you may take two bimbos from the secretary pool and
the afternnon off.
Old November 2nd 09, 01:18 AM posted to rec.collecting.coins
Mike Marotta

Sorry to have missed the action. I was at the show on the 30th and
31st and no one mentioned it. Sorry, too,that I did not log in to RCC
as usual, or I would have known to ask for details.

The Ann Arbor show was fine, all in all. I spent several hours there
over two days. I bought some small things on the first day. One of
them was for a communist friend of mine, a commen of Marx from the
USSR. (I won't touch nazi stuff, but you have to have a bitter sense
of humor when you think of communists striking coins -- can't get away
from money, you know...)

On the second day, I brought material to sell. Abbott's passed but
pointed to a dealer who was not at his table, so I walked over to
David Nazarro and asked him if he could go $135 and he said, no, but
he could go $140. So, I took that. It is one of the reasons that
Detroit is a numismatic mecca. We have our own way of doing business
here.

One of the other dealers said that he was just getting into ancients.
So, I went over to ELDERT BONTIKOE of Pegasi and got his auction
catalog and Roman Checklist and took them to the other dealer and
pointed out Eldert. When I saw him again, he had half a dozen ancients
he was pretty happy with. One was new to me, an Alexander dressed up
like a Satrap. 'Ummm.... you have the Orodontes in the wrong flip," I
said.

Also I was in fact misattributed as someone took my green EASTERN
MICHIGAN UNIVERSITY sweatshirt for a green MSU sweatshirt. "You have
to be pretty brave to wear that here," she said. It took me a while
to figure out what she meant, because usually U of M people give us
EMU homies a lot of space on the street.

Mike M.
Michael E. Marotta
"Seven square miles surrounded by reality."